webuser_552276254

Curb appeal help

A H
2 år siden

Hello. I am trying to bring curl appeal to this home. Everything is just cosmetic for now. The roof will be painted black. The house will be painted white. Any ideas on how to bring curb appeal? With no windows in the left, I am trying to make it not look so off. Should I add hedges on the left side? Or a porch swing? Any suggestions to bring curb appeal?

(23) kommentarer

• PRO
    CK Hoffman Design
    2 år siden

Yes the paint will help a lot! You should find a good landscape designer - the Houzz Find a Pro should have some good options for you. And that's a gorgeous huge covered front patio. I recommend LOTS of potted plants and seating areas to either side. Porch Swing is a good idea, so is a rocker. Crate and Barrel has some wonderful outdoor furniture - you should ck them out - Good Luck!

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    2 år siden

The front door seems rather dark. I'm wondering if a lighter or brighter color might make it more welcoming? Also, painting the roof black may be harsh. I'm wondering if a dark to medium tan would be better.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    2 år siden

Low groundcover on the right in the entire area around the tree. On the far left, at least one small understory tree. No hedge anywhere.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 år siden

Don't know what the stuff is on the far left that looks like chain link fence and some kind of pole. Removing those will be an immediate improvement. I would install a planting bed in that curved area of the drive instead of the pavement.

• Sigrid
    2 år siden

I question painting the roof. It's likely to peel. The current colors are fine. Add some landscaping. Put a pair of adirondak chairs painted to match your door or roof on the left. Plant some short flowering shrubs on either side of the front door. If your lawn is hopeless, plant something along the path. If you have a lot of shade, an allee of hosta looks nice.

• A H
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Any thoughts on this idea? Adding brushed brass porch lights to match the door handle.

• nester44
    2 år siden

Additional support posts, and more substantial posts, with the detail at the top to mimic the detail over the entry -- those look good. The paver porch and walkway also add interest. Then work on the landscape as others have advised. I like the light gray siding color and charcoal roof, as long as it can, in fact, be successfully painted.

• apple_pie_order
    2 år siden

What is the metal and rope thing on the left? Do you want curb appeal for selling or for yourselves?

• woodrose
    2 år siden

The black & white color scheme seems harsh to me. I think homes that fit into the landscape look better than ones that protrude starkly. Of course, you do have trees and that will help. Cleaning the porch and walkway will make the house look much better. Add some landscaping along with furniture and plants on the porch and it will look very nice.

I have no idea where you live or what will grow there, so I can't comment on specific plants.

• A H
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

It’s in Texas in the middle of the country. It’s on 10 acres. Our neighbors are cattle. Tons of trees and grass all around. A half acre pond with a dock is also to the left of the house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 år siden

I would not paint the roof. It's destined to peel and you will have a long term maintenance nightmare to address. Looks like the house could use a few windows on the front face and some landscaping.

• njmomma
    2 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}2 år siden

I would keep the red roof, keep black windows and door. Paint the house white and add a black swing to the left side of the home.

Add large red or black ceramic pots filled with with flowers along the porch where needed,

As for the landscaping, add boxwoods along the outside of the landing of the porch.

From what I can see, the columns may need to be a little beefier or just doubled for little more weight, but not necessary.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 år siden

One of my first thoughts was to make the columns beefier, also.

I don't care for the open wood framing over the door - to me it distracts from the door. I would rework, or enclose that. YMMV.

I vote against painting the roof black.. Besides maintenance issues, you will be doubling the heat gain inside the house. Red roof + white walls pretty classic. Dark green trim is another frequent addition to the red+white tradition, but black is good too.

You could get a large piece of metal artwork (wall hanging) for the blank area to the left of the door. Since this is TX, maybe a large star.

• Barbara C zone 5b near KC - Eco Region 47f
    2 år siden

It’s in Texas in the middle of the country. It’s on 10 acres

You need a dinner bell!

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 år siden

Dark roofs look good but absorb a lot of heat. If you're in the middle of Texas you will get lots of sun. If there's an attic it will be extremely hot. If it's a vaulted ceiling, make sure you have lots of insulation in the roof. I personally would not install a black roof in your climate.

As for curb appeal, landscaping will make the most impact. Consider hiring a local landscape designer on an hourly basis to create a basic plan.

• A H
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

It’s vaulted ceilings inside. Spray foam 7” open cell and reflective bubble insulation under the metal too. The small attic is air conditioned too.

• A H
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Still debating on painting the roof since there are 2 colors of metal on the roof. You cannot see in the pic, but there is a patch that is black. Not sure yet. Maybe paint it all black or red.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 år siden

I would paint roof with neutral gray/charcoal gray/slate.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 år siden

Can't you buy & install a bit of red roofing to replace the black patch?

• nester44
    2 år siden

It looks like you have at least two possibilities based on the discussion so far: The first would be to have a red roof (paint the part that is apparently black) with white (or very light cream) siding. With that option, you could leave the open-work wood braces over the front door and install a couple more and heavier porch posts and add the complementary wood trim at the top. That would give the house a kind of ranch-farm-country look. The second possibility would be to paint the roof a dark charcoal and paint the siding a gray as in your rendering above. With that option, you could cover the triangular open area with siding to hide the wood braces, and use a couple more and heavier posts with plain tops. That would give the house a more MCM look. It just depends on what style you like. Painting the roof is the big challenge. You should consult with someone in your area who is experienced with metal roofs to see if painting is a viable option.

• party_music50
    2 år siden

I wouldn't paint the roof because it adds to the house maintenance and I think your house looks good with a red roof. If anything, I'd paint the black patch red.

I think you'd have far greater curb appeal if there were signs of life like furniture and potted plants on the porch, landscaping, etc.

• K Laurence
    2 år siden

IF the roof has to be painted I agree with Celery. I think black would be too harsh, & woulld fade quickly. It sure could benefit from some landscaping. i like the lines of your house.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.