cjones2011

Renovation plan? Ideas on layout.

cjones2011
2 år siden

We have bought a house with a slightly weird layout that I want to tweak as we renovate but want to have a solid plan from the beginning.

Main issues with old design
Useless rooms - formal dining
- meals
- games
Weird shaped family bathroom that doesn’t
work well….small
We would like the lounge room to be closed
off to that dining area for better furniture
arrangement.
Bad flow to the outside
North is on the left side of the house plan 🙄
Small kitchen
Pantry tiny
No breakfast bar/ island
Tiny amount of storage
Angles everywhere 🤬
Giant pillar that I don’t think can go
Exposed brick everywhere
Sunken lounge and games

Rooms I want
More storage - another linen cupboard
Study with preferably an outside window that can be shut for privacy and to hide messy paperwork, printer etc.
Proper pantry or butlers pantry

The rooms we live in different to the plan

Games room - currently family room
Family room - currently dining room
Meals - currently study for husband
Study - 4th bedroom and junk room because no storage
Dining room - ironing board room 🤔
There never was a fire place.

I am generally happy enough with the current plans but I find the study/drop zone area (taking up part of the old kitchen) a bit awkward.

It’s a bit small for a study but if I make that the butlers pantry the study is in the middle of the house with bad airflow and no natural light and I kind of like to see out side when working from home.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My husband wants to start renovations and I can’t commit if I don’t know what is happening as a total plan.

(7) kommentarer

• Kate
    2 år siden

Am I right that the only toilets are in the ensuite and laundry. That needs to change IMO. Currently on iPhone so can get a good handle on this. The blade colours I guess is at end of bar entry to the room at top of plan

• Kate
    2 år siden

You do have lots of angles. I like the new study in old kitchen. Make the door part or full glass to keep a more open feeling. You can always add a blind if you want to hide mess.
    I’d turn the store in entry hall to a powder room. To create more storage put a whole wall of cupboards in dining where buffet is shown and move that to the other side of room.

• Kate
    2 år siden

I note the store looks big enough for a powder room so it could be changed by next owner if you don’t need the extra loo.

• cjones2011
    Forfatter
    2 år siden

Kate
    Yes only two toilets. Good idea. I hadn’t thought about that. Not sure how hard the plumbing would be to do that though but worth seeing if it can be done.
    Also you mentioned the blade colours. What do you mean?

• Kate
    2 år siden

Sleepy that should be blade column

• oklouise
    2 år siden

the dimensions are very difficult to read and my first suggestion would be to draw a basic new floor plan showing the internal dimensions of every room (ignoring the angles) so you can have a much better idea of what you're starting with but, subject to accurate dimensions, my suggestions would be to alter access to the study and toilet to create a 4th bedroom and separate powder room and then any bedroom can be used as a study and that leaves plenty of space for generous storage, spacious pantry and new kitchen

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    2 år siden

Get your new design fully resolved, professionally drawn up and costed before you lift a finger towards renovating. There are at least 10000 decisions to make, and there is nothing worse than making decisions on the run, based on what is available. I would be looking to simplify the spaces - the current plan looks like there is too much crowded into too small an area resulting in some awkward, pokey rooms and rooms being thorougfares which make them hard to furnish.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls and Dr Retro Virtual Visits.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.