taycejoile

What kind of flooring would look good here?

Tasty Cakes
sidste år

Hello! We are in the process of buying this home. We want to remove the carpet in this formal living area but we aren't sure what would look good next to the hardwood floors. Especially since part of the steps are on the carpet side & part of it is on the hardwood side. We love hardwood floors but the price is a bit too expensive right now. Any thoughts on flooring type and color? We're stumped. Thanks!

(19) kommentarer

• Haley Johnson
    sidste år

Well my home must be a complete disgrace then. Lot’s of different flooring. granite, carpet, wood, slate. Never bothered me until now.

The carpet looks fine.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    sidste år
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}sidste år

It is just fact that the use of one flooring , will make any home feel larger, smoother, less cut up.

Baths, Laundries, a bedroom ( even bedrooms benefit from hardwood and area rug) ....that's different .

But given the opportunity to have unity in hard flooring in areas very open to one another as this?, via simple waiting, saving? You DO that. Sorry. : )

• millworkman
    sidste år

Continue the same hardwood thru out. As Jan says one flooring is at all possible. If you cannot match the hardwood due to budget, and HAVE to replace the carpet, new carpet would be the best option.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    sidste år

Really strange they put carpet in the LR. Oh well. I would wait until you can afford to match what you already have. It’s a lovely house, and I’m sure your family will enjoy it.

• palimpsest
    sidste år

I agree, hold off until there is the possibility of matching the rest.

There is nothing the matter with carpet until you can replace it with hardwood. Just clean it or replace it if necessary, and wait for the matching hardwood

The strong anti-carpet bias is kind of a Gardenweb/Houzz microculture. I have a friend who works for Stark, and I asked him if sales of broadloom are way down because of the unpopularity of carpet. He said he has not seen this, sales are high.

I am not sure I would want wall to wall in my LR. But it's better than non matching wood-look LVP or laminate would be in this situation.

• palimpsest
    sidste år

They also do a lot of stairs, upstairs hallways and bedrooms. They have Installers, too. They Install carpet. They also have people who deliver bound broadloom. And when he sells bound area rugs he has to specify the binding and deal with the guy who cuts and shapes and binds their custom area rugs. He knows exactly where it's going.

My upstairs carpets are all room sized broadloom with maybe about 6" around the border of floor. I look under the rug at the padding and the floor, just out of curiosity, because this is basically wall to wall, just not attached.

All of the allegedly gross disgusting things that happen to and under carpet don't seem to be happening. But we don't wear shoes upstairs and we vacuum a lot. Maybe we're just cleaner than the people with gross disgusting carpet.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    sidste år

I agree no carpet but have you actully pull up a corner of the carpet maybe there is a surprise underneath. I do agree wait until you can do the wood that carpet is not only always a yucky choice but the way it was done is all wrong with the stairs sitting on part of each. I think to get new floor not wood is just throwing good money out the window , clean the carpet and keep the money you would spned and add to it until you can do wood. But take a peek under the carpet and underlay.

• ptreckel
    sidste år

Given the fact that there is a transition strip bisecting the last tread of the stairs, I doubt that there is hardwood beneath the carpet in the living room of this home. I am in the “wait until you can replace the carpet with matching hardwood” camp. (And when you do replace with hardwood, have them remove the transition strip and feather in the new flooring.)

• tfitz1006
    sidste år

Jan and the others are right. Your home will look so expansive when it is all wood floors. In the meantime, maybe think about paint. I don't think those colors are the best with your floor.

• PRO
    User
    sidste år

Stark is not exactly the $2 stuff that gets put into most lower end homes as a "budget saver". The high end has never been subject to the same trend swings as those with less ability to weather the change.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    sidste år

If you look at HIGH end broadloom ? You realize the market adapted quite a while ago to the hardwood everywhere mega trend. Result? Incredible dense, textured selections. Fabulous wool. Wool and nylon blends. Some looking nearly identical to a favorite cable sweater. Also the explosion in indoor outdoor broadloom for same reason. Widths in many well beyond 12'.......and 16' not uncommon to accommodate larger rooms, custom created area rugs .

If not the trend considered? That broadloom market would have died deader than a door nail.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    sidste år

Leave it as is until you can continue the hardwood…it will look beautiful…than maybe consider a runner for the stairs.

• eld6161
    sidste år

I agree to leave the carpet for now as it looks in good shape. Maybe think about layering an area rug over the carpet?

• Helen
    sidste år

As others have posted, either continue the hardwood as a good installer can make a relatively seamless transition OR leave the carpet.

FWIW or whatever reason having carpet in the living room with the rest being hardwood was a certain design trend and not done for cost reasons as the marginal cost of having wood floors in the carpeted area would have been minimal when the home was built. People actually thought wall to wall was elegant and cozy.

The carpet looks in decent shape so just have it professionally cleaned and do nothing until you can afford to put in wood. There really isn't anything other than matched wood OR carpet that would look good as some people still opt to have carpet in the formal living room even if it is wood elsewhere.

If the carpet is in bad shape, disguise it with nice area rugs. I knew I was going to be doing a gut remodel of my condo which included adding wood to the bedrooms and so I used a large Karastan area rug in the master bedroom which covered up most of the elderly wall to wall

• Kendrah
    sidste år

I would keep the carpeting until you can do hardwood. It is a really non-offensive carpet, which is hard to come by in the world of wall to wall!

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    sidste år

I have to agree with the rest here. I wonder the existing wood floor is prefinished. If so, it may not be easy to match perfectly.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    sidste år

Engineered pre finished can be sanded/ stain adjusted. Usually at least twice

• PRO
    Master Edge Homes
    sidste år

I agree with many fo these comments. My concern if you decide to wait, the dilot for your exsiting hardwood can be tough to match. I personally had this problem, very tricky to feather in new and old when there is a sheen and no sheen. perhaps get a quote for removing the carpet, applying new unfinished hardwood. Sand down the exising hardwood to have it all stained as one floor. The costs could be comparable between new floors and re-finishing.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.