justin_maddox41

Looking for ideas on what to do with this landscape island? Thanks!

JUSTIN MADDOX
sidste år

Any other ideas for curb appeal?

(22) kommentarer

• Yvonne Martin
    sidste år

What horticultural zone is this house in? Closest city?

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked Yvonne Martin
  • J F
    sidste år

Add a pollinator garden with plants appropriate for your location

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked J F
  • JUSTIN MADDOX
    Forfatter
    sidste år

Nearest city Grand Rapids MI :)

• Sigrid
    sidste år

I'd fill it with shade-tolerant natives. Tiarella, squirrel corn, columbine, phlox, Iris crestata etc. If you are planning to sell this summer, then just put in a bunch of annuals. Impatiens does well in shade.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked Sigrid
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    sidste år

Based on your pictures, I would get rid of the smaller tree and just mulch around the larger one.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • Stacey
    sidste år

Add a bird bath when you plant.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked Stacey
  • PRO
    Hursthouse Landscape Architects and Contractors
    sidste år

@ShadyWillowFarm has a great solution for you. The birch can stand alone as a tree in your lawn panel. Reduce the bed size and enjoy the distinctive difference.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked Hursthouse Landscape Architects and Contractors
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    sidste år

Use a nice ground cover like vincal that stays green all the time and find another spot fot the sign or better yet advertise on facebook and no sign.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    sidste år

I would for sure add ground cover. You could even add colour through seasonal flowers to make it pop

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    sidste år

Remove the brick retaining wall, use a low metal edge, mulch thoroughly without building up mulch around the trunk.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • nandina
    sidste år

Justin, a beautiful mature birch tree is involved in your question. Please give yourself some 'time out' for serious study of your situation. First suggestion is to research 'the growth pattern of birch tree roots'.

This will help you understand what is going on under the soil surface within the brick retaining wall. It would be helpful to know when this barrier was installed if possible.

Busy day here. More thoughts on the subject later.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked nandina
  • ptreckel
    sidste år

What is the variety of the second, smaller tree? I would have someone look at trimming your birch so that it assumes a more sculptural form. If the smaller tree is an ornamental, I would suggest it being shaped. If it is a less valuable tree,you might consider removing it or replacing it. You have so many options for annual AND perennial plantings. I suggest that you go to a local nursery, not necessarily a big box store, where you can get good planting advice, even a planting scheme for your garden. One that ties in with what you have planted closer to your house. Integrating both areas would be my objective if I were you.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked ptreckel
  • nickel_kg
    sidste år

Is this house a recent purchase or have you lived there a few seasons? The birch tree is nice but birches are not a long-lived species. What is the other tree? To me, it looks like it might be an ornamental, perhaps a spring flowering tree. And it's well-placed with regard to the birch, so don't be a hurry to cut down either one.

The landscape island's low retaining wall is in good shape. It looks like the mulch is correctly placed around the trunks -- that is, it's not piled high up on the truck (leading to rotted bark and early tree death). Perfect place for daffodils, followed by colorful annuals -- or low evergreen groundcover if that's your preference.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked nickel_kg
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    sidste år
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}sidste år

The birch is lovely but that sad second tree is desperately reaching AWAY from it for sun and water. Remove the second tree as the bed is not nearly big enough for both.

You don’t have to change the bed size afterwards. It’s nicely sized and shaped. Just plant a nice groundcover.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Maureen
    sidste år
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}sidste år

Look up berm ideas and there are so many options. Keeping shape/border - just add variation/height

Removing border allows to redesign shape and add boulders for a more natural feel. What you plant depends on interest in upkeep and the look you are after.

Take a picture and provide a nursery with soil type, sun exposure and the look you want, plus your budget and they will give you good options and advice.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked Maureen
  • arcy_gw
    sidste år

How much do you like to fuss? What I would do my bff would have fits over because of the 'work' (gadening) it would entail. You have some lovely ideas--I will add the birch may not be long for this world. They tend not to be long lasting trees.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked arcy_gw
  • JUSTIN MADDOX
    Forfatter
    sidste år

dig doug designs - what are the ground cover plants you incorporated into the berm design? thanks so much to everyone who has contributed!! so many wonderful ideas to ponder

• WestCoast Hopeful
    sidste år

Depending on where you live pachysandra is great. It fills in fast and is quite hearty. We have some here

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    sidste år

Pachysandra is great if you want your whole lawn taken over by it. We had that and English ivy in our garden when we purchased our house, and over time it choked out the lawn and anything else we tried to plant next to it. We had it taken out when we re-landscaped and it was the best thing we did. Now we have pretty, colorful, well-behaved perennials. Maureen posted some really nice ideas for the berm.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    sidste år

And we’ve had zero issues with ours in the two contained areas they live in, just like the one posted above that has a border. Lovely and green all year round and zero problems. Low maintenance too

• violetsnapdragon
    sidste år

The just-one-plant groundcover idea makes me sad--very boring...but it IS the low-maintenance option. If I was going to go that way, maybe I'd incorporate a boulder or a shepherd's hook with a hanging basket or even a flag. Or an old metal outdoor chair with a pot of flowers on it. Something simple to add interest. But....I personally like the ideas that have a few different varieties of plants.

JUSTIN MADDOX thanked violetsnapdragon
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.