webuser_698544731

Help with structural engineer calculations

Hi there, ive had a structural engineer prepare drawings to remove a loan bearing wall between kitchen and dining room. the size of the beam hasnt been included. the builder i spoke to said i needed a ”to scale“ drawing and this would show the size of the steel required including length. the SE said he doesnt do this and its for the builder?! im supposed to be getting the steel but i have no idea what size! please help!

(6) kommentarer

• Houzz-bruger-ID-698544731
    Forfatter
    sidste år

Thank you but it doesnt have a length?!

• Ricky Watkins
    sidste år

150mm overlap on each side double check with builder if they are ok with 150mm & you need 2 padstones too also on noted. So beam length is distance from each wall plus 300mm minimum

• K OB
    sidste år

We had a similar situation. In essence we had the plans for a 2.9m opening but we waited until the builder had created the opening to measure the ACTUAL opening (as it can vary depending on many factors, incl your builder's diligence), then added the overhang as per the earlier comment. We spoke to the steel company in advance and they confirmed they had the right beam profile in stock and could cut it and delivery within a couple of days.

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    sidste år

As with K OB, ordinarily we get an indicative quote from our fabricator based on the room length and then arrange the detailed cut as the wall is stripped out & prepped. Our fabricators usually turn around and deliver in a day or two tops. If anything is complicated in some way, they are usually happy to stick their head round the door and cross check.

To be honest, though, I'd expect the builder to take a bit more responsibility for this.

Hope you get it sorted!

• PRO
    Resi Design Ltd.
    sidste år

Hi there,

I have had a chance to chat with one of our Building Regulation officers who has come back with some pointers for you.

"The cross sectional dimensions are shown on the structural engineer's drawings and the length of the beam is to be confirmed by the builder on site - It's very important that the builder confirm this length with site measurements of the actual opening (plus bearing at each end) to avoid any risk of the beam not fitting well.

It will always be the builder's responsibility in general to ensure that correct materials are ordered. If the length being requested is purely for pricing for the steel rather than ordering; then the dimension of the space can be requested from your architectural designer.

Hope that helps, but if you need help with anything else or have any other quesions, do not hesitate to pop us a message or book in a free advice call.

Bríd and The Resi Team.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.