webuser_520234172

Building Regs Advice UK Kitchen/Garage

Phil Turner
sidste år

Hi,

Looking for a little advice please. I want to extend my kitchen out into the garage on two sides, this would involve knocking down two non structural walls which are part of an existing kitchen extension (crossed out in red) and building them back up (green). I can actually see a gap between the top of the wall and the ceiling they attached to the existing garage joists so I'm confident these walls are holding nothing up. When building these back up what sort of structure will they need to be to meet fire & building regs in the UK as one side will be liveable space and other side a garage. I will also need to raise the floor in the new areas so can I build up a couple of rows of bricks before installing DPM and pouring a new concrete floor then build walls on top?

Can I get away with an insulated stud wall with some fire resistant plasterboard or do they need to be properly brick built?

The right hand side wall is a single skin brick wall attached to the neighbour's garage. Can this just be damp proofed, insulated and plaster boarded?

Bit that juts out onto patio will just become a single skin brick 'shed'.

Cheers

(8) kommentarer

• PRO
    GREENSTONE DESIGN LTD
    sidste år

Hi Phil, the Wall/s between the house and the garage needs to comply with building regulations - in terms of U value requirements and be 30 min. Fire resistant. This can be achieved in studwork. contact kingspan and or British Gypsum for free advice on the makeup of the wall and materials required. I would also be aware that if you wished to sell your home - you may require a Building Regulations Final certificate - however without seeing your home I cannot advise you more accurately.

I hope that helps,

Michelle

Phil Turner thanked GREENSTONE DESIGN LTD
  • PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    sidste år

Seek out a local architect to assist - they will be best placed to advise, particularly wrt the structural requirements. You will also need to take care around any "party wall" - always a thorny topic...

Phil Turner thanked Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
  • Ruth House
    sidste år

We've just had half our garage converted into a downstairs bathroom. We submitted plans to building control (not planning permission, which you may require if your garage roof line is changing, I'm not sure). They stipulated the type and thickness of insulation required but a stud frame wall was fine between garage and room. The garage side had to be plastered over as well to comply with fire regulations. We were lucky because ours is an integrated garage the external wall was already double skin.

Phil Turner thanked Ruth House
  • PRO
    i-architect
    sidste år

Yes you will need a fire resistant and insulated wall. You may also need to make alterations to the floor slab to add insulation to bring it up to habitable standards too. As well as the roof / ceiling.

As long as the performance requirements are met you don't have to use any one particular material, such as brick, you just need to use a combination of materials that meets the spirit of the building regulations (the regulations are just guidelines, not specifications).

Phil Turner thanked i-architect
  • Cadplan Architecture
    sidste år

Well I've designed a number of similar situations, it's fairly straightforward. As regards the new separating partition it will need to acheive current thermal standard as well as being secure etc. I would look to perhpaps use a 140 thick Aircrete block plus thermal laminates, if you would like us to help just drop me an email and I can sort everyththing out for yo- Andrew, office@cad-plan.co.uk

Phil Turner thanked Cadplan Architecture
  • Phil Turner
    Forfatter
    sidste år

Thanks everyone for the advice :-). We decided against a full DIY job so have some builders we've used before coming in to quote. Cheers

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    sidste år

Will look forward to some pics of the finished result!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.