webuser_15804970

Lean to Advice!

Emily Haycocks
sidste år

Hi,

Im looking for some advice. We currently have sun room/lean to/utility at the back of the house. You have to pass through it in order to get to the back garden, it has no insulation and it borders the neighbours garden. I would love to just get rid of it, but I’m worried it will devalue the house if we’re not creating another space in place of it. Or do you think it’s not adding any value to the house and just get rid of it? I’d love to know peoples opinions on it.

Many thanks

get rid
keep

(8) kommentarer

• Daisy England
    sidste år

People do love a garden room/sun room. l have one and we use it for at least 6 months of the year but it’s different to yours.

lf you can’t use it effectively and it hinders your garden access l don’t think it will detract from the value of your house.

• chloeloves
    sidste år

If you are talking about the white structure attached to the brick extension in my opinion it looks more like a pimped up shed than a living space - I would get rid if it’s stopping your enjoyment of the house

• PRO
    i-architect
    sidste år

Hi! Are you planning to live there for a long time or are you planning to sell soon?

If you're planning to stay there for a good while and you don't like it, if it stops you enjoying your home and doesn't add anything useful to you, then no need to keep it.

It looks like any potential for it to add value to a resale in future could be easily outweighed by the value to you of not having it for the time you live there.

If you are really stuck on making your decision then ask a local estate agent what they think - they'll be best placed to give you a professional opinion.

• PRO
    Caldicot Kitchen & Bathroom Centre
    sidste år

Tricky one! An estate agent can probably advise on what (if any) value the space adds to the total value of the house. If there is value in it, I'd probably keep it for now if you aren't planning on replacing it outright, and maybe think how you might change it to make it a more useful space for you. It may not take much to add some insulation to walls, though the roof will still leak a lot of heat. Some tweaking might help repurpose the space to be more useful for more of the year, but any space that is cold for 6 months of the year and hot for 6 months has its drawbacks! But for growing seedlings & veg in summer & storing root veg in the cooler months, I know it is a space I personally would be delighted to have...

• Eileen Nixon
    sidste år

Ask yourself if all the ‘stuff’ you have in there at the moment is important and if so where would you put it if you removed the structure? If you are happy to get rid of it then weigh up the cost involved in demolition and the cost of making good the area after removal. Should give you the answer.

• PRO
    Resi Design Ltd.
    sidste år

Hi there @Emily Haycocks

I spoke with one of our design managers here at Resi and they came back to me with a few pointers for you to consider, to hopefully help you in your decision making.

One of the main questions to ask is whether the overall house provides enough storage. If not removing this would reduce some needed storage - which is a consideration for the value and desirability of a property.

By rebuilding it and configuring the space to be more efficient and comfortable this would add value if done right, whilst controlling costs. We would not recommend trying to upgrade this space because cost and difficulty would make it relatively costly for essentially a store room. We would expect an estate agent to push this to be included within the internal floor area, however, it is not habitable as far as modern building regulations is concerned so they could argue it is very much storage only, and does not contribute to the overall SQM. We recommend asking a few local estate agents for their opinions and from there you can make a judgement call.

We hope that is helpful but if you have any other questions or concerns about renovating your space, do not hesitate to get in touch with us here at RESI. Our architectural, planning and Building Regulation Teams would be more than happy to help you.

Have a lovely afternoon.

Kindest regards,

Brid and The Resi Team.

• Becci C
    sidste år

is it possible to add a door in the main house where that small window is?? and close up the door to the lean to.
    then the lean might become a more usable outdoor room for storage or seating rather than a walk through??

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.