webuser_645665382

Where should we position our alfresco roof?

Bildr
11 måneder siden
sidst ændret:11 måneder siden

Would you recommend having alfresco roof above or below the highlight windows. It's a Rear side elevation facing North

(14) kommentarer

• dreamer
    11 måneder siden

If you have an alfresco roof above the sliding doors then it will have to be a flat roof. To have an alfresco roof above the highlight windows it will be a slight gable which is shown on the plans. I would be installing an alfresco roof below the highlight windows with a louvre roof, not solid. I would be installing shutters internally on the highlight windows to let the winter north sun in and shut out the western sun that will still come into those windows. But this is something that can be monitored once you are in the home and have experienced the seasons.

• dreamer
    11 måneder siden

• Kate
    11 måneder siden

Depends on space between to accommodate structure and height under but generally the highlight windows are to let in sunlight so don’t want them shielded. But you may want to shield at some time. What is your aim with the structure?

• macyjean
    11 måneder siden

Facing north should be taken into consideration if you are building in a climate that requires winter heating.

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    11 måneder siden

Bear in mind that an alfresco roof will make the rooms inside darker than they are now. The highlight windows are perfect for still letting light into those areas, so I would strongly recommend a flat roof below the highlights. a flat roof would also be much more in keeping with the horizontal lines of the ground floor part of your house.

• Bildr
    Forfatter
    11 måneder siden

Is it hard to have a flat roof below the highlight window considering its 3.6 celing for the ground floor? My architect mentioned to have flat roof it will need a concrete structure and get more expensive

• siriuskey
    11 måneder siden

Using a Vergola Pergola system as Dreamer has shown would be an easy build

• dreamer
    11 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}11 måneder siden

Don’t have anything at all. Then use shade umbrellas or get a Vergola pergola installed after handover. It appears that the architect has drawn a full squared off structure alfresco with a gable roof within that structure.

A simple slightly sloped timber structure (which would match your feature timber facade) with roof tiles or Colorbond roofing, or even a steel roofing system, does not require concrete apart from load bearing foundations required where the supporting posts are positioned. But in your case, as previously mentioned, you do not want to stop the north winter sun, so therefore a covered roof for the alfresco is not desirable. The lower alfresco ceiling,( if located between highlight and doors), compared to internal ceiling height will be okay.

• dreamer
    11 måneder siden

If you look at this photo, it has highlight windows with the alfresco ceiling at the lower height. The alfresco is not a concrete structure.

Daw Park · Mere information

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    11 måneder siden

When I suggested a flat roof I didn't mean a concrete structure, but a low pitch (say 1 or 2 degrees) lightweight roof with steel support posts, sloping from the house to the outer edge. One good option would be to use SIP (structural insulated panels). These are roofing sandwich panels that are self supporting and provide roofing, solar insulation, structure, and finished ceiling all in one go. There are a number of companies doing this but you can look up Bondor solarspan for more information from one manufactureer to get an idea of what it is. It is a very simple system especially for what you are doing and has a very elegant slim line appearance.

• dreamer
    11 måneder siden

• dreamer
    11 måneder siden

Stratco have an insulated roofing patio system called Outback Cooldek. Again no concrete structure required. @bildr, you have said YOUR architect said you needed a concrete structure for a flat roof. I would ask them to clarify those comments.

• Bildr
    Forfatter
    11 måneder siden

Will do.. thanks all for your valuable feedback

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.