ketura

Help, please! Lights for small galley kitchen w/no window over sink?

David Waskow
10 måneder siden

We have a small galley kitchen that will have a door at one end and another doorway to the DR but otherwise no window, i.e., the sink will face a wall.

We are struggling with whether we want recessed lights or pendant lights. If pendant lights, do we want them, let's say 3 of them, through the middle of the kitchen? Or one over the sink and ....?

The back door is what's at the end of the kitchen and is sort of like a mini backdoor foyer/entryway. The floor there will be different from the kitchen and I had thought to do a different (and fairly modest pendant light in that space, which is about 5x5).

The kitchen length is about 12 feet. Ceilings are 9.5. It's a 1927 semi-detached house in Washington, DC.

Our contractor is breathing down our neck for this info, so any input you can offer would be amazing.

Thanks!

Ketura

(14) kommentarer

• Toni Hamlett
    10 måneder siden

Both recessed and maybe one pendent over the sink just for a change. If only going for one type recessed and maybe have the one over the sink on a separate switch.

• Helen
    10 måneder siden

Do a combination

I have a dark galley kitchen with no windows.

I have a good amount of canned lights as well as undercabinet lights.

The original configuration of the kitchen was a large hole in the middle of the ceiling whic held three fluorescent tubes. When I remodeled I turned the "hole" into a domed portion with copper tiles and I have uplights illuminating them which is quite spectacularly dramatic at night.

Your pendant would be more for decoration than for actual lighting in my opinion as the cans and your under cabinet lights would be the doing the work. But a pendant could be aesthetic and help finish the kitchen.

David Waskow thanked Helen
  • mcarroll16
    10 måneder siden

I think pendants anywhere in a galley kitchen will look out of place. And down the middle--the walkway, be a hazard as well. For decor and mood lighting, consider a decorative semi-flush fixture. Then a coordinating sconce or pair of sconces at the sink.

David Waskow thanked mcarroll16
  • David Waskow
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

Even with a 9.5 ft ceiling?

• mcarroll16
    10 måneder siden

Well, with a 9.5 ft ceiling, you could have pendants that are high enough they don't hit anyone's head. But they will still look strange hanging over a walkway. Mismatch of form and function. Pendants highlight spots that are already focal points or destinations--islands, tables, sinks. You could put a pendant over your sink and it would look "right." Although I think two wall sconces would probably look better. Hard to say for sure without pictures or a floorplan.

• bpath
    10 måneder siden

I toured a flipped house with a galley kitchen. They put two pendants down the middle. 8’ ceilings so they didn’t come down too far, but they sure looked odd, and I just knew someone would find a way to break one. OTOH, you’d be able to change the bulbs without a stepstool.

David Waskow thanked bpath
  • David Waskow
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

Love a little kitchen humor in the morning -- thank you @bpath!

• barncatz
    10 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 måneder siden

This is an Eichler house redo. They kept the lights. I vote for nice looking surface mounts and one wall sconce over sink.

Pendants hanging over void. Little different setup than your galley. 🙂

David Waskow thanked barncatz
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 måneder siden

We do custom lighting and I think that our lights would be a great addition in your home. We have many hand blown glass designs and you are able to customize the fixture to fit your aesthetic by having the option to choose your design, the amount of pendants, and the size of the pendants. We can also create a 3D rendering so you can visualize our lighting in your space. Feel free to visit us here for more information.

David Waskow thanked Shakuff
  • kellie_dyslin
    10 måneder siden

I agree with others who have suggested layered lighting - recessed in the ceiling and undercabinet or pendant above your sink depending on your setup (will you have a high cabinet over your sink do undercabinet; if not do a pendant). Either way, I suggest undercabinet lights where you do have cabinets.

• Maureen
    10 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 måneder siden

Consider not only the visual, but the best solution for practical purposes and recessed is a good option. For interest, add a semi flush pendant and recommend having two separate dimmer switches.

• mcarroll16
    10 måneder siden

I like the line of semi-flush pendants in barncatz first picture. A little decorative without being intrusive or busy. You would want to find something simple but more suited for your home's style. Schoolhouse fixtures, perhaps. I've been searching for a linear semi-flush lights, but haven't come up with anything that would fit a 1927 house.

David Waskow thanked mcarroll16
  • David Waskow
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

Thanks so much to all of you! This is all so helpful. I think we will indeed do a mix, with a pendant over the sink if that wiil work.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.