xelapop

Backsplash near door frame- help!

xelapop
10 måneder siden

Hello, so currently the backsplash tile is installed all the way to the doorframe. It has three ending points, counter, uppers and tile. It looks unfinished and like a mistake. How do I correct it? I was thinking of running the tile up and down the wall. But since it's a colored tile, will this look awkward? Alternatively we could cut the tile to be in line with uppers. The upper and lowers line up, and then it's just the counter overhang that extends. Have the same problem on wall with white tiles but I'm not as bothered by this one since the space is smaller and with blend more with the wall color..... Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you!!

(17) kommentarer

• Lyn Nielson
    10 måneder siden

I would bring it back to line up with the uppers.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 måneder siden

Your first picture is a definite DON'T

You end the tile at the very edge of the COUNTER TOP

The exact same place an ordinary riser would end. Tile is nothing more than the more sophisticated sister to a riser.That is the most noticeable place as well. ..the counter edge, so avoid the NON line up please.

If my guy did that charcoal tile? I would shoot him.

This one?

This was simply bad planning,. Appears the counter touches door frame.

Find a pencil liner.... or a soft white schluter edge. Otherwise leave it alone. Frankly.... tile appears a bit yellow for the top: )

• kl23
    10 måneder siden

This begs the question. Should the outside edges of base cabinets and uppers be lined up? I see so many kitchens where they don't.

• PRO
    Shakuff
    10 måneder siden

The backsplash tile looks awkward when it is installed all the way to the doorframe. The tiles should end where the countertop ends so it would give off more of a seamless look.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 måneder siden

Upper and lower cabinets never "line up" once the top goes on , because your lower cabinet needs a side skin protection from drips and spills.

If you want to be compulsive? You plan the upper, larger in width by the 1/2 or 3/4 or 1 inch to accommodate that overhang. Nobody does that ., btw. It implies a NON standard box and custom cabinets. Nor is it important and then the cabinet is not actually lining up with the lower, is it? It is lining up with the top.: ) on the lower.

• xelapop
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

Thanks for your comments. Bc the sink is right there, I'm worried about pulling the tile in to the uppers or the counter. What if I have the tile wrap around on the top and bottom?

• xelapop
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

Just at the edge of the cabinet

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 måneder siden

What do you mean "Pulling in"??

I'm saying.........END at the counter top edge. It is THE most noticeable spot. A Schluter finish edge. And get a tile pro in the house to do it.

If you insist on lining up with the upper? You will have the left over counter edge with shorted tile. If you had a counter riser instead of tile and they shorted you an inch plus? You would say "FIX THIS"

There are 8 billion threads on this.............and 50 % want to do what you want to do and all 50% are w.r.o.n.g.

• Rachel Lee
    10 måneder siden

I would have one small tile cut to fill that top space for the dark ones and ignore the white ones.

• PRO
    Top Drawer Carpentry LLC
    10 måneder siden

Align with the upper cabinet and use either a tile trim finish.  Some people align with the counter, we typically do not.  This creates a 90 degree corner, additional trim at the top of the tile. Along the wall cab is cleaner

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 måneder siden

Like I said...................................50%

• PRO
    Top Drawer Carpentry LLC
    10 måneder siden

Remind me not to work with Jan! Haha.. I have seen people religiously follow the counter as Jan suggests is THE ONLY WAY to do this. I have seen this look good and I have seen this look terrible. I think there is a little gray area here. In this instance I think following the upper cabinet is cleaner. Just my humble opinion.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 måneder siden

IMO you take the backsplash to the end of the counters and use a nice clean looking Schluter edge to finish you will be done . If you spalsh water all the way to the trim you need to stop doing that. I also always design kitchen where upper cabinets and counter edge line up and usually no overhang on the vounter edge at the end of a cabinet run.

• Kathy Furt
    10 måneder siden

Hotgroud

• Kathy Furt
    10 måneder siden

Gorgeous

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 måneder siden

Can you post pictures of the entire wall from farther back? Requesting that because IMO you need to take the whole of the wall into consideration. I had a similar situation and decided to tile all the way to the end of the wall and down to the floor, up to the ceiling. Otherwise, I'd have to paint, and a skinny strip of paint would have looked stoopid. My tiler balked, saying he had "never seen anyone do that" -- my answer was I don't care, either you tile it or I paint it, and it's going to look better tiled. When he was done he said I was right. Point being -- do what looks good in YOUR space, not what everyone else does as the "standard".

Here's a pic of my that I'm talking about; ending the tile under cabinets would have looked awkward to my eye. Simple to take to the wall and trim it off (I chose pencil trim):

• kl23
    10 måneder siden

Two of the best typos I've ever seen...and I am personally responsible for some good ones.... Stoopid hotgroud!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.