webuser_156890130

Shall I keep or remove these crown moldings?

C D
10 måneder siden

I just bought this house and I am currently undecided whether or not to remove these crown moldings. The ceiling is 8'4" tall. The molding is about 9". I plan to paint my walls the color below:

By removing the crown moldings my ceilings may look taller, but seems like the previous owner spent a lot of money on these moldings.... Any thoughts are welcomed!!

(19) kommentarer

• KW PNW Z8
    10 måneder siden

I’d keep but paint baseboards in that bedroom to match. The base boards look proportionally large enough in the LR to balance the crown. Crown typically raises not lowers the look of ceiling. Consider painting crown & walls the same color. Looks like crown is color of ceiling now.

• artemis78
    10 måneder siden

I like them, but agreed, would like the baseboards in the one room to match. If I were going to spend money on that room, it would be to remove the ceiling texture.

• arcy_gw
    10 måneder siden

Crown molding is usually considered an asset. A quick google search says crown and ceiling are most often painted the same. I do wonder if there is a minimum height that is considered optimum before adding crown.

• Lyn Nielson
    10 måneder siden

it is possible the crown is hiding the taping imperfections where the ceiling meets the walls... I would paint tthe ceiling, crown and walls the same color and leave them as is.

• C D
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

Thanks for the comments! What about painting the baseboard, wall, molding all in the same color?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 måneder siden

Keep the crown please.

• PRO
    Shakuff
    10 måneder siden

I really like the look of the crown moldings and feel that it gives the wall more life.

• palimpsest
    10 måneder siden

Yes you can paint it all one color.

• rwiegand
    10 måneder siden

Paint it the same color if you like but use an appropriate trim paint on the wood, not the same as on the walls. The small sheen difference will keep it from mushing together, and of course you want a tougher paint on your trim. BM Advance is the first water based enamel substitute I've tried that actually seems pretty decent.

C D thanked rwiegand
  • C D
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

@rwiegand Thank you! Seems like the crown moldings are already painted, likely oil-based paint. Would that be an issue?

• ratherbesewing
    10 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 måneder siden

If the trim is oil based paint, you MUST prime before painting with a latex paint . If you miss the priming step, the paint won’t adhere. Kilz kill primer will work, but there are others, so ask at the paint store.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    10 måneder siden

I'd need to be rid of the hideous popcorn ceiling in the bedroom.........Tarting it up with crown only makes the popcorn more noticeable. : ) Ceiling fan has to go....skip the light.

• shirlpp
    10 måneder siden

The molding might not be oil based paint - but a semi-gloss or gloss finish.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    10 måneder siden

The crown moulding looks fine, but the base molding is much too short. It's out of proportion to the wall and the crown. I'd replace the base molding with a much higher one.

• arcy_gw
    10 måneder siden

I would never take a fan out of a bedroom. It may not be the height of fashion but again FUNCTION needs to lead and when you are a guest sleeping in a too warm room a fan is a welcome site!! Hanging the rods higher only gives you a silly looking gap between the window molding and the ceilings. Don't crowd the crown!! I hadn't noticed the pop corn ceiling. The are super easy if not messy to remove but getting someone with the skills to give you a super flat ceiling is $$$$$ and frankly not worth the money on bedroom.

• C D
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

artemis78 JAN MOYER Yes the popcorn will be gone for sure.

ratherbesewing Thanks! Does that mean the primer will be good enough? No sanding at all?

• rwiegand
    10 måneder siden

Check with BM (Advance) or SW (Emerald) to see what they require for prep. They seem to be an emulsified oil paint in a water base, so may be compatible with either previous oil or water-based finishes. If the surfaces are glossy a light sanding is never out of order.

• Maureen
    10 måneder siden

The molding is a lovely feature and for the potential effect that the rooms might feel taller, I wouldn’t trade. I’d live with the molding’s finish at least for now, as I don’t think it‘s an issue and just address the ceiling.

If removing popcorn, be sure to test, especially if house was built in the 80’s/90’s. Highly suggest using a pro; my brother (who is very handy: ie: refinished his basement) damaged the dining room ceiling and it had to be drywalled.

I think the living room is benefitting from the molding and bedroom could as well…with some changes. A light wall color, painted baseboard, light bedding (will also help offset the dark furniture), a smaller fan or pendant won’t feel as heavy, moving rod half way to ceiling (and add the supports as close to finials as possible).

If there is another layout possible, room might feel larger as well. Could nightstand/bed be moved to the left/balance with art and place wingback in the corner with a lighter throw and cushion.

C D thanked Maureen
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.