webuser_149894705

36 inch range - what to do?

David K
10 måneder siden

I purchased a house with a very old 36 inch Wolf gas range. The thermostat knob is missing, and the griddle is not working. I would like to replace this with an inexpensive, decent newer range, which could be either gas or electric.

We are pretty straightforward cooks, and do not want or need pro equipment. All 36 inch ranges appear to be either intended and priced for a fancy restaurant, or have bad reviews complaining about poor quality.

Would you recommend paying up for a decent 36 inch range, or buying a good 30 inch range (which are an order of magnitude cheaper), and adding new cabinetry to fill in the space? We’re new first-time homeowners. Thanks!

Also, why are 36 inch ranges so much more expensive than 30 inch ones??

(9) kommentarer

• wdccruise
    10 måneder siden

"Would you recommend paying up for a decent 36 inch range, or buying a good 30 inch range and adding new cabinetry to fill in the space?"

Thirty-inch ranges are bestsellers. As a result it's the 30-inch market where the is ferocious competition among manufacturers resulting in more products with more features and better quality at lower prices. The 36" market is significantly smaller and fewer manufacturers participate (e.g., LG, an appliance behemoth, sells no 36" ranges within its major brand names) resulting in fewer products. Thirty-six inch ranges also appear to be more popular with those (fewer) trying to create "upscale" kitchens who are willing to pay significantly more for ranges that not only are more expensive but often function appearance for appearance.

It's amazing what one can buy for the money in the 30" market. For example, Frigidaire now offers the FCFI3083AS 30" induction, slide-in range (specs) for $1000.

• David K
    Forfatter
    10 måneder siden

Thanks! If I do go with a 30-inch range, do you have any suggestions on how to fill in the resulting gap in a cost-effective manner? I appreciate it.

• dan1888
    10 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 måneder siden

You'll need cabinetry and counter. Centering the range in the space could let you avoid cabinetry by using filler pieces on each side. This centering would work with any hood ventilation you already have. I'd consider using black quartz of some type for the counter fill-ins. This could blend in with the black surface of an induction range. Maybe some wood structure under these pieces can also support the front pieces. Everything together pretty inexpensive if you diy. Avoid Samsung products.

• AC M
    10 måneder siden

You should price out all of the elements needed to replace a 36” range with a 30” one. There will be decisions you need to make about how you are going to deal with the 6” of “empty” space. One of the biggest costs could be new countertops depending on what is there now, and how you want it to look.

• sushipup2
    10 måneder siden

There's a good chance that the added cabinetry and countertop will drive up the cost of a 30" range to as much as a 36" range. With more work involved, too.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    10 måneder siden

Just fix the darn Wolf. It is likely to outlive you if you do that. And for less money than a new anything.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-16168550092
    10 måneder siden

I agree with the two comments above mine. Subzero Wolf is one of the few companies that keeps parts available far longer than most appliance makers, and you could get your wolf range fixed and then live with it for a while. You may, or may not, discover that you actually enjoy having the 36 inch width because it gives you more space. Never mind how powerful the burners are necessarily, but I find 36 inches is a wonderful, sweet spot that allows me to cook various things without having to move pots and pans when I inevitably want to put on a kettle for tea when I have other things going on the stove. And I say this is someone who is not a fancy, gourmet, chef, or anything close to it. And if you were to go this route, and then decide that you really want to invest the larger sum of money to get the cabinets and countertops modified, you could always sell the range later because there are people who will purchase a working wolf appliance, even one that is older. At least, if you go with your decisions in this order, if you do end up selling the wolf after all, at least you won’t have any regrets because you will have given yourselves time to at least try it out and see what you think. You really don’t have much to lose in this regard. And the cool thing is, you will have yourself a 36 inch wolf range without having to pay the dizzying retail prices that they go for brand new.

• artemis78
    10 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 måneder siden

We have a 36" space and have been looking a putting a 30" range in (partly for cost, but largely because I don't want a 36" oven--we would appreciate and use a 36" cooktop). At least for our kitchen, the costs are working out to be something of a wash by the time we put the filler and replacement counter in (and it also won't match in the end). We will probably end up just biting the bullet and doing the 36" range. The least expensive option I've found so far is to do stainless steel strips for the replacement counter, and sacrifice the 3" cabinet space on either side of the range since it isn't wide enough to fit even the narrowest of filler pullouts. If you can DIY the work, that is cheaper than going to a larger range. We would likely hire someone for it, though, and the labor cost eats away at that. We also have cabinets and counters that we don't plan to replace anytime soon, though--if you have an older kitchen and plan to replace them soon, the math will work out differently.

I would really just get the Wolf fixed. Gas ranges are workhorses and most older ones are pretty mechanical in nature, so can generally be repaired without too much drama. We are replacing one that is almost 70 years old, and only because we are electrifying our home. That thing will definitely outlive us, and I will miss many things about it.

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    10 måneder siden

A few of ours clients have been in a similar situation, where the opening is larger than the new range they want.

In this case, a SS filler piece that goes up between the range and the cabinets, then "flat" between the range and the countertops is an inexpensive way to close the gap. Any local steel fabricator should be able to do this for a couple hundred dollars.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.