webuser_517086791

Water based floor finish (Traffic HD) on VG fir floors

Scott Katz
8 måneder siden

Hey Houzz community!

Does anyone have any photos they can share of a water based floor finish on VG fir floors? We're trying to decide which finish to choose and while we love the warm amber look of oil-based finishes, we don't like the VOCs (My wife is pregnant with twins so that's a large concern right now) and have been told that the traffic HD is more durable.

However, it's been challenging to find any photos of floors that we know have a water based finish.

Also, if anyone has any photos of their floors where an oil-based sealer was under underneath the water-based top coat that would be super duper appreciated. That seems like a middle ground option, but again, we're unsure what it will look like.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

-Scott

(3) kommentarer

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 måneder siden

Get your floor refinisher to show you samples on your floor . There is no way to really help by seeing a floor finish anywhere else.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    8 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 måneder siden

You can use one coat of Bona Amberseal and two coats of Traffic HD to maintain the warm look of a oil base finish but with low VOC water base products.

Are you sure it's Douglas fir? It maybe quartersawn heart pine. It's common to mix up the two wood species.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    8 måneder siden

We went with water based finish (I think satin) on our white oak floors because we do not like the orange/amber tones as oil based finishes age. Have not seen Douglas fir used for flooring in our area. The only thing we discovered that we did not expect was that when the painters came in for final touch up, they splattered some paint on the floor and everywhere they cleaned it up, it affected the finish. We had to have a third coat put on all the floors. Glad we did because they looked better, but wasn't expecting the extra cost.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.