fredgassit

Cupolas -- their efficacy please.

fredgassit
7 måneder siden

Hello there.

I'm about to self-build my own house here in Australia and I think I'll include a cupola in the design.

So my question is, how effective (in your own experience) are they in reducing the heat in the roof during a long hot summer and how big should they be ( the sky's the limit)?

I'd welcome your experience and suggestions.

Thank you.

(7) kommentarer

• PRO
    Lomo
    7 måneder siden

Soffit and ridge vents are still the gold standard for attic ventilation. If hou want a vented assembly. Unvented assemblies are fast becoming more used because they are more efficient. Cupolas are merely decorative on a modern built home.

• fredgassit
    Forfatter
    7 måneder siden

Thank you Lomo and Mark.

I'll incorporate a cupola just to see if it works.

Mark: where would I find the necessary calculations to properly size the vents please.

Thanks again.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    7 måneder siden

Cupolas are great for ventilation of a barn. For a home, I would suggest designing a central light well/ventilation system to include windows with thermostatically-controlled motorized openers.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    7 måneder siden

Properly designed cupolas can be great for admitting natural light into the center of a house where there are no windows.

For ventilation, a properly sized and designed attic fan, with louvers which open when the fan is in operation and close when not, can significantly help ventilate a house and reduce the need for air conditioning. Of course, the air pulled into the attic from the house must have a means to escape the attic to the outside. In other words, a ventilated attic! It's an old fashioned idea, but it still works!

• PRO
    PPF.
    7 måneder siden

I'm about to self-build my own house here in Australia

Have you checked here: https://www.houzz.com.au

• fredgassit
    Forfatter
    7 måneder siden

Thank you everyone.

I'm going to build that cupola!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.