twschmitt

Landmark Shingles: Burnt Sienna or Black

Thomas Schmitt
4 måneder siden
sidst ændret:4 måneder siden

Struggling to decide between what is apparently the only two color options available per my roofer, Burnt Sienna or Moire Black. I'd have preferred red to go with the brick trim and give it a Santa Barbara vibe, but I guess we only have these two color options. I don't think either are great with current wall and trim colors, but to me the black has some versatility in terms of painting over the brick trim dark for a clean, modern look (and minimal add'l cost). Conversely, even though it's a warm tone like red, I don't think Burnt Sienna (a) quite matches the red brick trim, nor (b) goes well against a cool-toned bright white. What do you think in terms of aesthetics, and/or curb appeal?

Keep in mind I'd paint the door to match.

Current Old Roof:

Landmark Burnt Sienna:

Landmark Moire Black:

Moire Black with trim painted dark:

Moire Black with a mix of trim painted white and dark:

(17) kommentarer

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}4 måneder siden

where are you located?

Is there any chance you can go w/the cement tiles? or, if your roof isn't rated for that load, the terra cotta spanish style tiles. It's perfect for that style of home.

It would match your brick

I love everything else about this front porch/door area too.

I'd also sand and refinish your wood fence. sand off the gray if you can, and coat it w/a good stain/varnish. This one is mine

My home isn't as 'spanish' as yours, more mediterranean, but I did the cement tiles in a charcoal gray.

or redo it

If you must stick w/the shingles, go w/the black

• Thomas Schmitt
    Forfatter
    4 måneder siden

Thanks Beth, I'm in Denver. I don't think I could afford terracotta tiles, though they would be perfect. I'm afraid it's just the shingles.

• millworkman
    4 måneder siden

" Struggling to decide between what is apparently the only two color options available per my roofer, "

What is his reasoning for that?

Thomas Schmitt thanked millworkman
  • cat_ky
    4 måneder siden

Why would a roofer only have 2 colors to pick from. Something not quite right there. If you plan on keeping the rusty red, I would pick the burnt sienna because, it seems to go well with the brickish color red.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 måneder siden

Burnt Sienna is an orange roof, there isn't anything brown about it.

Moire Black all day long.

Paint the house the same color as the grout between the brick and it's classically pulled together without being an overt color schemed color scheme. Going forward, practically all of color space is your oyster for front door colors and landscaping.

• acm
    4 måneder siden

sienna

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 måneder siden

What kind of roofer only has two choices for a roof? That's a big red flag IMO.

A Hexagonal asphalt shingle would have looked appropriate on your Craftsman style home.

• Thomas Schmitt
    Forfatter
    4 måneder siden

Roofer explained lack of color options are due to supply shortages among manufacturer, and I had heard similar from other roofers who provided quotes. Maybe I need to enquire directly with the manufacturer myself.

Interesting thought about hexagonal shingles...

• la_la Girl
    4 måneder siden

^^^ well said

• ptreckel
    4 måneder siden

Find another roofer.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 måneder siden

since you're in denver, forget the clay tiles. I don't think they're rated for freezing temps.

you could opt for the cement tiles though. why not get a price on them? just for grins. if you're going to be in that house for a long time, you'll never have to replace them in your lifetime. (what's the life of asphalt? 15-20? do the math and see which works out best)

we have those cement tiles in my neighborhood going on 43 yrs. (I redid mine because I went w/a diff color theme) Check w/Eagle Roofing and Boral roof. they will tell you which materials are avail in your area of the country.

if you go w/the lighter roof, consider painting the fascia black. (and some trim) i did a quick mock up here for you. and a new cedar gate.

Thomas Schmitt thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 måneder siden

Roofer explained lack of color options are due to supply shortages among manufacturer,

My crystal color ball says that's the reason Burnt Sienna is available - it's what's still in stock. They're running a 'basic black' option until they can run more colors.

I would ask the roofer for addresses that have BS. Drive by more than one. Because it is orange and it will dictate every other exterior choice for 30 years.

• PRO
    Emily’s Interiors
    4 måneder siden

Moire Black is a great choice. Agree with @houssaon about the brick. It is charming. Maybe just a cleanup?

• J Mig
    4 måneder siden

We have a bunch of burnt sienna roofs here in Albuquerque. And they are really ugly. very rarely do they go with whatever is on the façade of the house, whether it is brick or stucco. I feel like you can do better.

• ker9
    4 måneder siden

FYI, Florida is still recovering from massive damage due to Hurricane Ian, which means there are an abnormally large number of roofs being replaced with shingle, tile, metal, etc. It is probably placing additional burden on an already strained supply chain. As a matter of fact, my damaged roof is being torn off right now. Landfall occurred 9/28/22.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.