caroline_freedman75

Should my floor match the woodwork?

Caroline Freedman
3 måneder siden
sidst ændret:3 måneder siden

I just bought a 1920s colonial revival fixer-upper with oak floors desperate to be refinished. The floors are stained dark and match the woodwork fairly well. Should I re-stain them the same color or sand everything back to the original color and go with a clear, water-based sealer? Or a secret, third option?

You can see the original color in the second photo where the stain has worn away. I'd like the home to feel a bit lighter and airier than it currently is, but I also don't want to create a weird clash of wood colors.

Please note: all the walls have been freshly painted white, and I am planning to leave the woodwork as is.

(6) kommentarer

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 måneder siden

It doesn't have to match.

• marmiegard_z7b
    3 måneder siden

I don’t think it has to match either. But, it’d be good to take time to plan your overall color scheme and what kinds of wood tones you aim for- what furniture do you plan to bring or buy, what floor stain do those choices “ like”, what direction for wall paint ( cool, warm. neutrals, colors), and will you paint the woodwork ? I don’t think I would like the dark woodwork at ceiling and floor, but would have to consider any “vintage” or true- to- house issues. I can deal with lighter, warmer wood trims better than dark, or, paint.

Caroline Freedman thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 måneder siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 måneder siden

go lighter. I'd even pint your baseboards white. it will make the new floor stain look better.

I'd go w/a lighter, natural color

or, a very light walnut shade. not too red though

• Kendrah
    3 måneder siden

The floor and wood don't have to match, they just have to compliment and not fight each other. Play around with some of the colors you see coming through your floors now. Sample and test them on your floors after floors are sanded. Look in different day and night lights, and in different parts of your room, especially near the windows and fireplace.

Keep the baseboards their current color. If in a year from now they drive you nuts, you can always paint them then. (Though it is possible that they will get dinged up in the process of floor staining. Talk to your refinisher about that.)

Beautiful home. Congrats!

• wdccruise
    3 måneder siden

Go with Bona ClassicSeal and Bona Mega and the sanded, refinished floors will look great.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.