stephanie_frederick43

The aftermath of backsplash regret... Now what??

Steve Freddy
sidste måned
sidst ændret:sidste måned

So we had DIY'ed some white penny tile backsplash in our kitchen. Chosen mostly for easy DIY and budget. It looked horrible with the counters so I actually just ripped it out. Don't think I did a ton of drywall damage because it was only 3 days in and no grout yet... But will prob need some touch up. I will be hiring out for this next backsplash attempt.... I've learned my lesson making design choices based on what I'm capable of myself. What kind of color/style tile would work here? The whole house is pretty warm which we like and want to play up. But the counters came off almost orangey next to the stark white we had put so that is the challenge. They are nice and I don't want to distract from them. I envision green in some way for this room (paint or backsplash not sure) and we will eventually get rid of the old wallpaper. Any ideas? :( still on a budget and already paid for my mistake

(16) kommentarer

• J Sk
    sidste måned

^^^^

• Steve Freddy
    Forfatter
    sidste måned

Added pics... Thought they were there before sorry

• KW PNW Z8
    sidste måned
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}sidste måned

Looks like the counters are great with the cabinets. Both are warm color so the BS should be too. Penny tile is nice but too much detail / busy with the counters. Let the counters be the star & look for larger & simple pattern tile pieces that match the creaminess in the counter. Subway tile might be the answer -simple & classic. Bring samples home to see in your lighting & space. Keep the pattern very simple. Question - why is the base plate at cabinets white type color? Very distracting, Should be a match to floor or cabinets. It looks like a continuation of your baseboards around the room but it shouldn’t be.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-570180435
    sidste måned

think of painting the base board a dark color to cover the white.

• just_janni
    sidste måned

And offwhite subway tile would be your friend here.

If you did it right you could consider a stacked pattern and minimize the cuts?

Or are you off tile altogether?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    sidste måned

Since these are older cabs, I'd do something simple like a plain subway tile. not the 3x6 size, but maybe a 3x9, 2x10, 2x8 size.

these are a 2x10, come in a few colors. Wayfair/HD has them under IvyHill tile, Newport.

also under ivy hill, The Portmore tile

comes in a 4x4 too

Arizona Tile, Concerto-Pearl Gloss. looks nice w/the granite and perfect color w/yours

nice match w/your countertop too

Bedrosians tile has many under their subway selection. you can peruse those.

Please, please, go find some unfinished oak base molding and stain it (a warm walnut should work) the same color as your cabinets.

get the flat molding, nothing w/these grooves that hold on to dirt.

this weird white casing looks horrible against your floors.

Personally I'd do brushed nickel pulls in a more traditional style, not those that you have.

these are a nice style. check amazon. try koofizo, or Cosmas

https://www.amazon.com/Ravinte-Cabinet-Polished-Kitchen-Hardware/dp/B0C143FDNS

if you want a black, try this style

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6JQLKYG/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4

wall colors

Get a new sink light. (and possibly change out your ceiling lights? 4000K LED recessed lights w/a white trim kit.)

In fact, why don't you remove that upper cabinet and do some shelves over the sink area? then you could do a sconce, piggy backing off the wiring that's already there.

this would look so much better, and it would open up the space a lot more. I'd tile up to the ceiling here.

Like this:

So, Imagine doing the above shelving, but w/this color combo:

gave you a runner w/some warm colors in it, Seneca tiles (would look great w/the wood/granite) the wall color is a warm griege listed off to the right, and do some natural woven textures w/stools/chairs, maybe a ceiling light. I also gave you soft gold pulls to match the hinges.

If you like the black hardware and maybe a diff tile, go w/this mood board

If you like the blk/wht, Then I'd do this over your sink. get some walnut shelves, cut to fit, float them or use brackets, get the 2x8, 3x9 subway tile, install in a vertical stack, and style your shelves just like shown here. get diff cab pulls.

If you like the elongated hex tile, you could do this too

if you remove the cab above sink, think about replacing those two side cabs w/glass.

similar to how this looks (but in your oak)

Paint the inside of the cab a nice color (or line w/a wallpaper) and display your glasses and bowls, or whatever.

If you need diff doors, many people sell used oak cabs. you could find some w/the same size and use those

Here is a kitchen w/the same cabs and what they did w/theirs. I don't like the 3x6 size tiles

or these tiles. I do like the black tho. I think if you could find a secondhand black DW it would look better than the white. and you could DIY your own black hood. (google it)

and, if you've ever thought about painting.

these were painted BM Soft Chamois by Kayla Payne. she has great info on her blog on how to do this.

bright lighting!

• PRO
    Minardi
    sidste måned
  • chispa
    sidste måned

Penny tile mosaic sheets are not beginner level tiles! You have to be very good with the spacing and also need to remove some of the tiles to blend the sheets into each other ... or the end result is grid lines outlining each mosaic sheet.

• auntthelma
    sidste måned

Love the counter! Also love Minardi’s visuals. In the example pictures, I don’ t like the green at all. My favorite is the last one. Subtly colored large tiles.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-910663146
    sidste måned

I would just continue the countertop up the backsplash. No worries about color matching or any of that crazziness.

• PRO
    Minardi
    sidste måned

The last one is https://www.daltile.com/products/Natural-Stone/Parksville-Stone/Kalahari-Beige

Houzz is being stupid about photo uploading and links today.

• dan1888
    sidste måned

If you choose a tile with light grout, ask for epoxy or urethane grout to avoid discoloration.

• RedRyder
    sidste måned

Tilebar.com is a great website. You can visualize in your room and get 5 samples for $5.

Here is one that might work, but you always, always need a sample before you buy a lot.

• chloebud
    sidste måned

Great advice from KW. I would keep the backsplash simple/solid color. Keep it simple due to the pattern in the counters and cabinets (grain).

• chicagoans
    sidste måned

I'm glad you decided to let a professional do the tiling next time; you will probably find that it's worth it as a good tile job can make inexpensive tiles look good (while a sub-par tile job can make beautiful tiles look bad.)

Plus one to the suggestion to use the visualizer on Tilebar. Since your pretty counters have some movement and you don't want to distract from them, you might be happiest with a tile that has a low level of variation. (Tile variation is rated V1-V4, with 1 the lowest. You might want to look for something in the V1-V2 range.) Not all sites list the variation, so you need to order multiple samples and/or reach out to the vendor.

• colleenmary
    sidste måned

Your counter is beautiful. Perhaps use a simple subway tile that matches the dominant cream/white in the counter, with black grout. Or use the counter material as the backsplash.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.