splats

What To Do With The Back Fence

splats
sidste måned
sidst ændret:sidste måned

The pic shows ourbamboo back fense behind the pool. You can see the neighbors house on the other side of the fense. There used to be an overgrown out of control ficus mess along that fence I'm at a complete loss. We want to increase privacy with something that will grow higher then fence; but also want this back fence area to look nice because it kind of frames the pool. Would love any ideas. PS: we're in South Florida

I guess I should have explained this better, The fence is brand new, its carbonized bamboo attached to a 3 foot pre-existing chain link fence. The back yard was bordered on three sides by a huge ficus hedge. At one time it was probably nice but when we purchased 4 years ago it was already old, overgrown, massive and a mess. Money is an issue. We cannot afford an actual wood fence. I have been slowly removing the ficus and now have it gone from two sides, getting ready to do the third side. We are doing all the labor ourselves. We have been thinking a Clusia Hedge is probably what we should do, but I'm having second thoughts, and thinking something like palms, banana plants, etc like Sammie J suggested below.

(11) kommentarer

• claire larece
    sidste måned

A nice tall tree shrub would give way to privacy and a little landscape

• Sammie J
    sidste måned

First, I would power wash your pool deck and also the back fence, and seal the fence (we used to power wash 2x/yr in FL). Then, add landscape material in front of the fence to disguise it a bit and add interest to the yard, adding another section of fence to hide your neighbor's yard. Benefit is improved soundproofing!

FL is such a easy-grow environment, with so many plants that give pretty texture to the yard!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    sidste måned

you'll need to check w/city code to see how high a backyard fence can be.

have you spoken w/the neighbor about splitting the cost of a new fence? You could do some vinyl panels, cedar planks, or I guess some new bamboo.

do you have a budget?

• Jeanne Cardwell
    sidste måned

Clusia hedge.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    sidste måned

The fence can be a lovely backdrop of you bother to install some landscaping items.

• claire larece
    sidste måned

My question is what does the entirety of the yard including the house looks like?

• Kendrah
    sidste måned

It is not just the height of the fence that is the problem. The fence itself is quite easy to see straight through to the neighbors. See what the allowed fence height is. Install a new fence that you cannot see through and is higher than what you have now. Then landscape the area in front of the fence with a layout that has some depth and undulating lines.

• splats
    Forfatter
    sidste måned

I guess I should have explained this better, The fence is brand new, its carbonized bamboo attached to a 3 foot pre-existing chain link fence. The back yard was bordered on three sides by a huge ficus hedge. At one time it was probably nice but when we purchased 4 years ago it was already old, overgrown, massive and a mess. Money is an issue. We cannot afford an actual wood fence. I have been slowly removing the ficus and now have it gone from two sides, getting ready to do the third side. We are doing all the labor ourselves. We have been thinking a Clusia Hedge is probably what we should do, but I'm having second thoughts, and thinking something like palms, banana plants, etc like Sammie J suggested above.

• K Laurence
    sidste måned

Looks like you’ll have to remove whatever is still there ( stumps from previous?). How deep in the planter? What is your budget? I ask because where I live, coastal So Cal, Indian Laurel (columnar Ficus Nitida ) is often used for similar situations. The issue might be the cost … the 5 gal 5’ or 6’ ones run about $60 & more each, even at HD. Perhaps a mixed border planted in stages might be more doable.

• ffpalms
    sidste måned

I really like Phoenix Palms (aka Pygmy Date palm) because they don’t get too high, so are a great way to screen your yard from view.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.