janetonki08

Can I have a piece of wall art and a light over a dining table?

janetonki08
28 dage siden

Hi. I need help figuring out whether a piece of wall art AND a pendant light will look okay over our dining table. And if so, what sizes would be okay.

The dining table is 180cm X 100cm [71in x 39 in]. (For context, it’s in an open-plan kitchen/living/dining room that’s roughly 8.5m X 5.5m.)

Here is the dining table currently (we want to replace the 4 canvases with 1 print, the size of which is shown by the tape).

Here is the print I like (it’s 120cm X 80cm / 47in X 31in). Is this size okay? (I saw a guideline for wall art that says it should be 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the furniture you’re placing it over. According to that, the size is good, but it seems a touch small to me.)

And here’s the light fixture I like. I’m concerned it will look silly and cluttered sitting in front of the wall art, and that the two will detract from each-other.

Two reasons for this:

1. Firstly, the table needs to sit quite close to the wall. This means that any light fixture over the table will be relatively close to the print (the light fixture will be roughly 80cm / 31in from the wall).
  2. The light fixture is large (118cm/46in wide X 30cm/12in wide X 57cm/22in high). It’s the height that seems potentially too big to me. The light fixture and wall art will need to overlap by at least 17cm/7in.

What’s my best option?

Thank you for your help!!

Both the print and the light fixture I've picked will be fine and look good together.
I can have both a print and a light fixture but need to look for a different-sized light
I should go with just one of the two (I.e. a light fixture with no print, or vice versa)

(5) kommentarer

• PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    28 dage siden

Both picture and light fixture will work fine together. Please update when you have placed them. We would love to see it!

janetonki08 thanked CAGE Design Build
  • ilikefriday
    28 dage siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}28 dage siden

Imo your art is too small and your chandelier is too wide for the art. The art is 47" wide and the chandelier is 46". That will look very odd.

Also, I don't think overlapping the art and chandelier is an issue.

Here is a mockup with a larger piece of art.

janetonki08 thanked ilikefriday
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    28 dage siden

IMO the light is plain blah and everywhere . I like a DR light to light the table and there are literally 1000s more intersting than that one . I think you could go much larger for the art

janetonki08 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    28 dage siden

That protea print is a bit lackluster and it's not large enough for the room.

There are light fixtures that would not block the view as much.

janetonki08 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • janetonki08
    Forfatter
    27 dage siden

Thank you all so much! this has been really helpful. I'll look for a bigger print and a light fixture that doesnt obstruct the view as much. Thank you again

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.