theresa_pondok

window boxes- top or bottom?

Theresa Pondok
27 dage siden

W

Would love to install white window boxes and wondering where you would place them- just top or just bottom or both? Please ignore Halloween decor it's the only photo of the house I had on hand.

(26) kommentarer

• KW PNW Z8
    27 dage siden

Pretty house. First thing I think about is what’s going to be planted in them? Second is how will they be accessed for watering. Third is if they’ll leave muddy streaks down the house. After thinking about all that, my choice would be to place window boxes only on the two windows with the pediment on top of them next to the porch. The porch is such a focal point that I wouldn’t want to detract from it with window boxes at other windows. The windows on either side of porch already have some detail that makes them part of the porch statement & IMO, adding window boxes to those 2 windows only adds to the focal point & keeps the attention on the entry - where it should be.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    26 dage siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}26 dage siden

I would be concerend with dirty water staining the white walls How about some nice large black palnters along the front of the house on the left and 2 more on the porch filled with seasonal plantings for all year round decor.

• millworkman
    26 dage siden

" Would love to install white window boxes and wondering where you would place them "

Left off. They are a pain in the neck with maintenance and watering honestly.

• jck910
    26 dage siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}26 dage siden

I have window and they are a lot of work and expensive. Every season needs a change. Small cape with too short windows so felt aesthetically they are worth the work but I would not put them on your lovely home.

Just did these for spring in New England

old picture before new roof and change to white boxes

• typeandrun
    26 dage siden

Your home is gorgeous and classic and IMO does not need window boxes. We have one on our second story 3 window and it is a pain. For the last 3 years we have left it empty and plan to take it down.

• chloebud
    26 dage siden

Yes, lovely home! I agree with no window boxes on the second story. We had them at a previous home (one story). They do require maintenance but to me it was worth it. I filled them with ivy geraniums that grow up, out and over. They also bloomed year round here in CA. There wasn’t much replanting involved; mostly watering and deadheading spent blooms.

• AC M
    26 dage siden

You’re house is gorgeous, my experience with window boxes is that they seem like a great idea, and then quickly aren’t, unless you have a maid or gardener who will water them as needed and clean up the drainage mess.
    I would recommend removing the broken pediments from the two 1st floor front windows, they aren’t right.

• Houzz-bruger-ID-787167202
    26 dage siden

Not only are they more work than one knows at the start they can damage your home. Is that stucco? I can't tell but having a damp box up against the house where sun can dry it out isn't really a great idea--my DH says ALL THE TIME when I beg for them!! hahahaha

• ShadyWillowFarm
    26 dage siden

Spend the money on better foundation plantings. Lovely house!!

• ptreckel
    26 dage siden

I have one window box on the shed in my back yard. It looks cute. But is beyond the reach of my three lengths of hose. So I lug water to it. For the first half of the summer. By mid summer, it is half dead. My neglect. My solution? Shhhhhhhhhhh! Fake geraniums. From the house and our patio, they look real! Don’t tell anyone! 😆

• HU-187528210
    26 dage siden

Definitely not just the top.
    You can do just the bottom. I think that’s what I’d do. Because it’ll be very hard and slightly impractical to deal with watering and maintaining the upper windows….

Your house is lovely! 💖💖

• chloebud
    26 dage siden

We had a neighbor who used some fake ones in window boxes on her daughter’s playhouse. It actually didn’t look too bad from a distance. She did replace them periodically due to fading from sun.

• anj_p
    26 dage siden

Mayne window boxes are self watering so only need to be filled occasionally, and they only have overflow when you're filling them. I filled the bottom with wood chips so the water that does come out isn't dirty. If you are ok with filling the box occasionally the upper windows could have boxes. Not sure how appropriate they are in your house style though (not a pro).

• Theresa Pondok
    Forfatter
    26 dage siden

Thank you all! I was actually considering high quality artificial flowers- dont tell anyone lol.

• blisscottage06
    26 dage siden

In addition to self-watering window box inserts, which i used on my window box, you can add stuff to the soil which absorbs more water, and releases it slowly. https://www.rhs.org.uk/soil-composts-mulches/water-retaining-granules. Window boxes are a little more work that plants in the ground, but consider this, they don't need weeding!

• PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    25 dage siden

Agree with everyone who commented. Your house is gorgeous as is and does not need additional decor.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    25 dage siden

Your front yard needs a landscaping update including addressing the slope at the sidewalk.

I'd spend the money there and then see if the windows need attention. I agree with the others that window boxes can be a PITA.

Theresa Pondok thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • liasch
    25 dage siden

I wouldn’t put window boxes on this house. I don’t think it suits the house. if you want more color, I might consider two large containers to the right and left of the portico on the front. And then smaller containers on the porch itself. you can do a lot with containers and they’re easy to keep watered. Window boxes are a real pain and dry out quickly. Ask me how I know! More trouble than they’re worth.

• liasch
    25 dage siden

And then, if they end up looking scruffy, you’re stuck with them, an eyesore on the front of your house. And inevitably at some point in the season, they do not look fabulous. Same thing is true of hanging baskets. Containers on the other hand are much easier to spruce up and keep looking decent.

• liasch
    25 dage siden

Your landscaping in front of the house is fairly formal and so is the home. Elegant… and windowboxes are more cottage style, generally. I think you could do a lot with containers on the ground and on the upper level, perhaps something that’s a bit more formal.

• Theresa Pondok
    Forfatter
    25 dage siden

Thanks I can see what you mean

• Boxerpal
    25 dage siden

I love your house... I saw this post when you first posted and thought it is so beautiful.

Hopefully you can find a solution with some beautiful pots and planters in the front of your house.

• liasch
    24 dage siden

Agree…your home is stunning! Please post when you decide on a solution!

• fors43
    24 dage siden

Please keep us updated! You have a beautiful home!

• RedRyder
    23 dage siden

Your home is stately and quite elegant. I’m agreeing with the “no window boxes” vote and suggest spending the same effort they require on more lush landscaping. Gorgeous hydrangeas in front of that house would be perfect. Worth getting a professional landscape designer.

Scour garden books and look at the front landscaping of other center hall colonials.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.