kel_allen

Opening galley kitchen! Help!

Kel Allen
18 dage siden

We are about to start renovations on our kitchen, and we are looking to either make the back wall of the living room a half wall into the kitchen, or turn that into barstool seating, looking over the sink. The cabinets with the sink are on the backside of the wall. The cabinets with the stove is what you would see looking into the kitchen from the living room. My dilemma is, do I have enough room to add barstool seating there, and would it look normal and not cramped? If I don’t do barstool seating, then I would need to back the couch up to the half wall, which I don’t think would look that great. I’m at a loss. *Pardon the mess in the photos.

(9) kommentarer

• Lyn Nielson
    18 dage siden

I wouldn't want to be seated at a counter looking into a sink.

Measurements and proposed layout would be helpful for comments.

will you be changing any living room furniture or layout?

• kandrewspa
    18 dage siden

Are you going to be able to live without the upper cabinets on that wall? When your kitchen isn't very large that could be a big loss. I like having an upper cabinet close to the sink to unload dishes from the dishwasher quickly and easily.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    18 dage siden

We need an accurate floorplan with dimensions to help- pencil on graph paper is great!

This was my old kitchen, there was a solid wall on the left previously with a 'window' to the living room. Yuck

• susan49417
    18 dage siden

What is it that you are hoping to achieve with altering the wall? Opening up to a half wall with bar stool seating will require moving into the living space to accommodate counter depth and bar stools....is that some you want to live with? In addition, looking into a sink seems quite undesirable to me. Perhaps posting floor plan with all measurements here in the same post might allow for some other recommendations to improve your space.

• PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    17 dage siden

You would be losing a great deal of cabinetry by creating the half wall. We wouldn't recommend that unless you figure you could do without it.

• Buehl
    17 dage siden

Welcome Kel Allen! We need more information to be able to give you useful help/advice. Please see the Featured Answer of the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim

• Louie
    16 dage siden

Terrible idea. You wouldn't have any room for the giant blobby sofa if you opened it up. It will make both rooms function much smaller. You will lose so much space.

• shirlpp
    16 dage siden

You're trying to bring more natural light into the kitchen?

Is that wall loadbearing?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    16 dage siden

A to scale floor plan of the whole space you are planning to redo Do it on graph paper show every window , doorway where those lead every measurement clearly marked and posted here in a comment in jpeg format . This is the only way to get help here. The pics are pretty useless BTW.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.