mcs0430

How to update this dated brick fireplace

mcs0430
10 år siden
The fireplace is in our family room in the basement. It's taking so much space, I wanted to know if we can update it and make it smaller.

(47) kommentarer

• abbyjean
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    In instant update and a cheap and quick update is to paint the brass part. Go to a Menard's or place like that and find cans of paint to use........they can help you find the heat resistant Rustoleum and voila! NEW look!!!

Making it smaller I cannot help with......sorry! I like hearths that you can sit on like this one, and there is room for some accessories there, too, which might make it feel part of the room and not so big.
  • PRO
    CHRISICOS INTERIORS
    10 år siden
    Hello. I see what you are referring to in terms of takin up valuable space. Strongly suggest that you speak with a local contractor as this involves the structural integrity of your home and the chimney as well. They need to examine the complete structure. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Riddle Construction & Design
    10 år siden
    Agree with comment above that if you want to take it out consult a pro. You may be able to take off just the raised hearth without too much work but then you would have to re-face over the brick. Faux stone works really well as an overly and can add so much to a room. see photo.
  • leelee
    10 år siden
    Why are you focused on the FP? Other than painting the brass like abby mentioned or painting the brick it will be difficult and expensive to alter. Is the rest of the room all decorated to your satisfaction? What about the vertical blinds? The FP is usually supposed to be the focal point of the room so get the room right and the fireplace will fall in line.

Move the pole lamp to a spot where it will be used.
  • nonnabella
    10 år siden
    what if you were to paint the brick white and change the glass doors to black trimmed flat rather than contoured ?
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Abbyjean and leelee- I may be painting the bricks white and change the door to a flat black door. I will post pics of the after project. Thanks!
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Leelee- those blinds are really an eyesoar waiting on my budget to get custom blinds. I will post a pic of the whole room later
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Nonnabella- what an awesome idea! I will post an after project pic
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 år siden
    I vote with Riddle...a good mason can delete the hearth & then tile around the floor. I would suggest a ledger stone as well. If you go to stone/brick place they can usually do the install themselves or recommend
    someone,
  • Ed
    10 år siden
    Hi mcs0430, Congrats on your fireplace remodel ! Agree with Chrisisco about consulting with the pros about the entire structural integrity before you change the fireplace. Good luck! :)
    Olive Tree Lane · Mere information
  • melwishes
    10 år siden
    Have a look at this blog (it's not mine) which will give you an idea and if you read the post it links you to where the idea came from.
    http://thepeartreecottage.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/fireplace-remodel-before-and-after-with.html
  • leelee
    10 år siden
    Have you checked on line for wood blinds? They come in all different sizes/colors.
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    More pics of the family room, walls used to be unstained wood paneling and we painted it with BM cobblestone path. I guess I need help with the whole layout. Let me know what do you think.
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    The before pic of the family room
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    This is what i call progress! NICE area and I happen to like the arrangement you have with a separate play area. I wish the fireplace could be included with the seating more, though, as it must feel left out right now.
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Leelee- I haven't looked online I'm still thinking of what kind of blinds I wanted.
  • RosemaryR
    10 år siden
    Check out hgtv.com, Candice Olsen, she's the Queen of basement remodels.
  • M C
    10 år siden
    Great job of freshening the room with new paint. I would suggest painting the lower portion a slightly different color (darker?) to take advantage of the faux chair rail effect you have going on with the trim. I think it will look more deliberate, rather than bisected. Also, you may want to "build in" some shelves on either side of the fireplace for more storage and to bring the wall out to meet the fireplace. That way it doesn't give the impression of sticking out so far when you come down the stairs. Plus, with munchkins, any additional storage will come in handy!
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Abbyjean, I don't know what to do with the layout. Here's another view maybe you can give me some advice
  • RosemaryR
    10 år siden
    Can't tell if you have the space or not but you could try a couple of chairs w/small round table as a place to sit and have conversation and beverages in front of FP, sort of like a quiet zone to relax and enjoy the fire.
  • PRO
    ConsciousBuild, Inc.
    10 år siden
    The remodel so far looks great! We did a remodel in LA that had a similar brick fireplace, and we decided to paint the fireplace white (which would go well with the white trim colors) and then we added a thick wood mantel to accent the fireplace. A mounting bracket could also help to bring the TV above the mantel - if it fits - and then that would free up space to add a coffee table and some comfortable chairs. The more costly option would be to get someone in there to review the bricks and redesign the hearth.Keep up the good work though!
  • samsamyd
    10 år siden
    Yes, and I'll bet that hearth is great height for feet up reading a book in those comfy chairs..
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    ConsciousBuild- I wish the tv fits but see the awkward duct beam on the ceiling. I hate how they designed this back in the 60s, we just got the house last year and we are still in the process of updating
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    Is there any way the tv can go on the other side of the fireplace, between the two doors opposite it? Angle it toward the fireplace. It looks like there is an outlet there. Then float the couch perpendicular to the fireplace and the kids get that entire space behind it for place and the couch can be a part of the tv and the fireplace. Get a few chairs to put on the other side of the fireplace in that area at the bottom of the stairway.

If this will not/does not work, I think the best suggestion was already given to place two chairs and a table opposite the fireplace. The thing with that arrangement is then the chairs and the couch are rather in just a boring straight line and they cannot really visit much unless they are angled in to that area.
  • rosecottagehome
    10 år siden
    I like abbyjean's suggestion for moving the couch and TV to try to make a sitting area around the fireplace and separating the play area. The brick on the fireplace would blend in more with your nice updated color scheme painted white. White plantation shutters might look nice on the windows. Contrasting color could be added with throw pillows on the couch and maybe some cushions to sit on on the big hearth of the fireplace. You have done a great job on the update already.
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    Are you near a Menard's or Lowe's? They have 2 inch white blinds that they will cut free to the size you need for the windows here. Those would be an instant update and believe me, they are totally affordable, too.
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    Play up the blue in the room by adding a few blue pillows to the couch and maybe getting a lamp for the room, too.
  • libradesigneye
    10 år siden
    Here's one vote for not quite white on the brick fireplace but definitely paint and definitely a neutral that will look great against the white. Here's why: the stone hearth is a beautiful almond gray tone. It echos the lovely berber carpet that you have there - If you go a little bit lighter but you match that tone with paint - perhaps sw collonade gray http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7641-collonade-gray/ or agreeable gray I think it is worth a look. Then the mantel white will contrast with the brick - which could then be mistaken for an original color since it harmonizes with the hearth stone.

I think for the whole room, this is going to look more unified than if the hearth stone is the only contrast from the white. The white mantel should stay white, and this greige neutral will help the blue and white look better with the other elements you have.

I would even plan to take the same gray tone / same hue but a darker shade like anew gray or mega-greige and paint a craigslist find - a storage piece for the wall between the doors looking back at the stairs - something like a secretary / bookshelf with closed storage below / to add another neutral tone in that family to the room.

I love your blue and white - i think they are super, and white won't be wrong - if you like more of a cottagey feel, then white is probably right for you. The art and the style of the fireplace makes me think that the almond greige might bring the look you prefer to the space - a little more modern. It will work with the blue-gray really well. One terrific chair by the new storage piece I mentioned - sort of angled at the fireplace with a reading lamp in that entry / circulation zone and the rest of the room layout will start to come easier.

Not now, but for future - it looks like the duct that comes into the chimney is only for hvac - it has vents to the larger part of the room. If that is what it is, bringing warm or cool air to the space from the area with doors, it does not need to go where it is going. It may be able to be torn out, rerouted around the perimeter of the room - have an hvac guy who comes to service your furnace / heater 1 x a year pull the vents and look in. Looks like it was more of a lazy choice than a necessary one. Worth finding out.
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you all for your ideas!
  • rosecafe
    10 år siden
    Which is which? Why not light a fire in it, dress it up with a couple of potted Yuccas either side, or brass buckets,add a stack of logs to make it feel like a fireplace, not look like a brick bunker. Soften it up a bit. And remove the 'art' and replace it with a big framed mirror.
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    You did an amazing job on that brick! And the hearth is just perfect!!! Love the black covering, too. GREAT first step!
  • RosemaryR
    10 år siden
    Great job mcs.
  • lahiyalo
    10 år siden
    Dear MCS 04330, I like your fireplace remodel. Are these new bricks? Or did you do something to the old ones?
  • m3459
    10 år siden
    Great job on the fireplace. When I hear "paint" the brick, I cringe. It should be "wash" the brick.
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Hi lahilayo, I painted the bricks and spray painted the door just like what Abbyjean suggested:) I used Lowe's fireplace makeover online article. My first DIY and I'm loving it!
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    m3459, I actually painted the bricks. I was a bit skeptical about painting but it worked awesome for my fireplace. It was easy and cheap,too!
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    IMPRESSIVE!
  • Arley
    10 år siden
    Hi, the fireplace looks great! It's too funny, I was going to suggest exactly that. I want to do the same to my fireplace in the house we are selling. The tutorial I have seen on this did a white wash. How did you do yours?
  • libradesigneye
    10 år siden
    The hearth tone now fits in beautifully and the black screen echos the art frame - simple paint fixes and voila! now you have harmony - love your progress.
  • mcs0430
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Arley, I just followed the step by step fireplace makeover of Lowes. Google on how to paint a fireplace and follow the link for Lowes.com
    Goodluck!
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 år siden
    Much improved!!!
  • cicifield
    10 år siden
    What a big improvement! You did a great job.
    It's amazing how the right fireplace can make a huge difference to a room. We had a heavy-handed 1930-ish brick fireplace in the living room of our 1850 Victorian house. It seemed to weigh the room down. We had it 'slip covered' in white-painted wood, with molding that matches the room's crown molding. Suddenly the room is lighter and more balanced. A small change made a huge difference!
  • Arley
    10 år siden
    Thanks mcs0430. I hope mine works out half as well as yours! It's so beautiful!
  • regina5697
    10 år siden
    I was thinking a sectional would bring added seating as well as bridging the tv and fireplace together. A sectional will still keep the play area behind separate.
    http://houzz.com/photos/997922
  • Arley
    10 år siden
    I vote yes to that, sectionals are great with kids. Nothing like it for cuddling up on movie night!
  • colournut
    10 år siden
    An easy and economical solution would be painting the brick 2-3 shades darker than the wall colour which will help it to disappear and look more current. You could then hang a significant sized piece of metal art to match the metal of your fireplace.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.