kingdo

Is this peninsula too small?

kingdo
10 år siden
This picture shows the entrance to our kitchen from the dining room. The two rooms used to be divided with a partial wall & doorway. The peninsula will be topped with granite with a 10 inch overhang towards dining room. There is a 44 inch opening between the peninsula and fridge. We like the space there but wondering if the peninsula looks awkwardly small?

(21) kommentarer

• Sharon Cameron
    10 år siden
    I would much rather have the space to walk through the gap easily than a larger peninsula. It doesn't look too undersized to me and once everything is finished & dressed I think it will be fine.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 år siden
    Agreed with a larger clearance especially if this is part of a main circulation from one room of the house to another. Also are there any upper storage units on the left wall in the photo? At the moment it seems a bit off-centered since the fridge is so dominate.
  • kingdo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    We were not planning to have upper cabinets on the other side. Perhaps an open shelf or two above the peninsula on the wall opposite the fridge. And maybe one (not too deep) above the window. Any suggestions are most welcome.
  • PRO
    JandB Kitchen Designs
    10 år siden
    Hi,
    We always put a quick note to verify our experience: Brigitte and I have consistently designed between 70-90 kitchens/year for over 34 years..... We've literally designed thousands of kitchens..... We also design/build full structural including below-grade foundation plans.....
    Anyway, agree with Dytecture above, especially about adding the wall cabinets on the left wall..... Run them all the way to the edge of the counter top overhang..... Have a functional door on the left side of the wall cabinet closest to the D/R.... Hope this helps a bit.....John & Brigitte
  • kingdo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks everyone, we will definitely consider cabinets. Just a couple of final thoughts. So just to confirm, pendant lighting, stools, art & shelves would not be enough to balance the left side if we didn't get cabinets. Also do you think there is enough room to hang a small shelf (depth wise) over the window (along right wall) to fill the gap below the valance? Thank you so much for any comments.
  • dclostboy
    10 år siden
    No shelves needed around window, but suggest backsplash tile around entire area. Consider stainless steel open shelves on left wall above peninsula.
  • Kelly van Leeuwen
    10 år siden
    No, definitely not too small. Need at least 3 feet for walk through. But I think adding some open shelving to that one wall does sound like a great idea.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    I think a movable unit ( like this one, finished and mounted on casters) would be much better. You need free space in this cramped kitchen, so that it will flow and be useable.
  • kingdo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Mente...Is that so there would be more room in front of the fridge? I am really struggling with this peninsula so would it be great to hear your explanation. Thank you!
  • catherinek708
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    If you don't like it then skip it! Follow your instincts. If it doesn't feel right to you now, I don't think you will be happier later. Once you do your granite you won't be changing anything. I don't think the size is the issue. It is the location. Do you need the counter seating? What is on the other side? Can you move it down?
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Kingdo, if it was past the refrigerator you wouldn't have to walk around the island to get to it.
    No, it's not too small. Plan about 24" for each stool for seating.
  • kingdo
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Here is a photo of the dining room behind the peninsula. We used to have a partial wall and a ding table where the peninsula is now.

Thanks,
    Donna
  • PRO
    Mente Sowell Architects, Inc.
    10 år siden
    What do you anticipate using the peninsula for? Counter seating? I would push the peninsula toward the dining area so that its not right in front of your refrigerator. Can you upload a floorplan sketch? Nothing fancy, just something that shows where the cabs are in relation to. The appliances, and the opening to the dining room.
  • PRO
    Cabinets To Go
    10 år siden
    We would love to help you re decorate your kitchen, and make sure to make the right measurements for each piece throughout your kitchen! if you need any help, check us out! Give us a call today!
  • PRO
    Monarch Fine Landscapes & Interiors
    10 år siden
    If you're looking to use it as a two person breakfast bar the size is fine. With most Galley Kitchens, counter space for food preparation is often lacking. I would push it closer to the dining room to avoid it opposing the fridge as well as providing you with more adequate space for the counter along the wall. As it looks now, the wall side counter doesn't provide you with much space if the counter was occupied?
  • bellesum
    10 år siden
    Is there ample clearance behind to pass through if a person is reaching for things in the refrigerator with the doors open? I am more concerned with easy access to the kitchen than a small peninsular. It may be a little late to say so but I thought it is better not to have the fridge right next to a major walkway.
  • mlenuzza
    10 år siden
    It's not too small, but I would either move it beyond the fridge closer to the dining room, or move the fridge back into the sink and cooktop area. Since it looks like you already have new cabinets installed, I'd move the peninsula beyond the fridge. You will hate it where it currently is, especially when someone is at the fridge and someone else needs to get by!

What I would have done is move the fridge to where the wall oven is, get a slide-in range, and move the pantry (I'm assuming that's what the door between the cooktop and peninsula is for) to where the fridge is, and extend the peninsula past the pantry. Then, I'd put the microwave in the upper cabinets along the wall with the peninsula.
  • Debp
    10 år siden
    Have you considered just upper and lower cabinets with no peninsula? Just a thought.
  • Cat Rowe
    10 år siden
    I would opt to move the Pennisula beyond the frig if there is room. I like the idea of open shelves in a kitchen. I would not have the panel above the kitchen window, and lastly I would not have pendant lighting over this small Pennisula. I would do two small pot lights as not to abstract the sight line. Good luck kingdo!
  • catherinek708
    10 år siden
    I really think you should skip the peninsula. It is awkward there.
    Just extend the cabinets and counters as far as you can towards the dining room without having mixed flooring under them. You can still make it into a breakfast bar or desk area if you need the seating by leaving out the base cabinets but I am pretty certain you will need extra support for the granite then.

I think open shelving above the counter in that area would look and function just fine. It really depends on what you plan to put on the shelves. You will have to keep them very neat or you will regret it.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.