robert_hebb

Before And After Photo

Here is a more clear Before and After

(60) kommentarer

• PRO
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    No, Not a tear down in fact all exterior walls were used. We have done several of this type of Renovation or Substantial Improvement. Please review our Houzz Page
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 år siden
    Is this the same house ? Looks great, love the yellow
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Studio NOO Design
  • PRO
    Advantage Developer & Constructor
    10 år siden
    Is this CBS or else ? The improvements are great ! You did it very nice. Once again -great job !
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Advantage Developer & Constructor
  • Snaggy
    10 år siden
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires.... Just dont like the style or the windows !
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Snaggy
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks for responding back, one of the windows in the front was not sized the way it was originally designed but the owner is Happy with their changes..... Happy Client
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    And Yes, this was Masonry Construction on the first floor
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    10 år siden
    I find it a strange makeover. Why not tear down the old one completely and start afresh. Nothing, bar maybe a few walls is still standing. There is also nothing recognizable from the old house.
  • dbh
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I agree with above. I find transformations like this-- just way over the top. At least this probably looks out on water (?)-- which make a little bit of sense, I guess. If not-- then I don't know. I rather liked the original house, and I think that could have been renovated very nicely and still maintained its integrity. Glad the client is happy, and I'm sure you all did a stellar job-- but I bet the neighbors are less than thrilled-- unless this is the way the whole street is going.

We see this a lot (and we're not near water), where the owners/buyers basically buy for the location/lot, tear down what's there, and then build something that makes them think they're living in Spain or Morocco-- or, gosh-- I don't know what type of style this is. The result typically doesn't fit in, at all, with the surrounding area. Not sure why you even kept any part of the original house, unless the foundation and walls made it easier to tack on this structure. I really believe that in about 10 years time, or less, these types of houses will begin to look seriously out of place, and dated. Already, it looks like something that was constructed in the 90's when people had money to burn.
  • Snaggy
    10 år siden
    As long as the Client is happy that's all that matters !
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you for your question. Their were many factors involved here. First if this house was torn down, the new structure would have been Taxed at a higher rate because it would be a new dwelling not a remodeled existing structure. We used all four exterior walls, but it still would be classified a remodel if we only left one wall standing. Second the old house encroached on today's new side setbacks but as a remodel we were allowed to build right on top of those walls. Third since it was a remodel we were not subjected to new impact fees. This all may seem pety when somebody is building a million dollar house on the water with similar neighbors but this is what I was hired to do. Thank you all for you comments, good and bad . I love reading them
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    10 år siden
    To be fair, this really is not a remodel. And yes, Bay Area Design, it does sound petty for a one million dollar design.
    I am sorry to sound so blunt, but I think the house is nothing more than a McMansion
  • rosecottagehome
    10 år siden
    The client obviously had the money to do such an elaborate " remodel", as it is classified as such because existing walls were left and Bay Area Design were hired to do the remodel and work. Neighbors are likely notified by the area's planning department with the intended proposed plan, to have their chance to say yea, or nay. Job well done, client probably happy. Why do people get so annoyed about this?
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked rosecottagehome
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you , this home by the way is one of the smaller McMansions on the street of waterfront homes. The drive-thu window is on back side! Lol
  • PRO
    www.kuhnishkaf.ru
    10 år siden
    well you got it, fellows, and further
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked www.kuhnishkaf.ru
  • dbh
    10 år siden
    rosecottagehome: I think "people get so annoyed about this," because we've probably lived in neighborhoods where people did this. Here's one scenario that might possibly cause annoyance: You move into a lovely old neighborhood, with 100-year old oak trees-- the houses, both small and large, are truly lovely, and people have kept them looking nice, renovating when necessary, yet maintaining the integrity of the homes, the streets, the neighborhood. It could be a neighborhood/street where houses were built around 1910 or 1920, and the 100 year old oaks provide this gorgeous canopy as you walk or ride through-- offering beautiful filtered light.

So people typically choose to move into a neighborhood like this, because they like the mix of older homes-- some large, some small-- but all in good shape-- or they like old mature trees, or they like that sidewalks still exist in their neighborhood, or maybe they just like being within walking distance to shops.

So a house comes on the market in this lovely neighborhood-- a very well-built, structurally sound 1920 house, with great bones. It's been very well-maintained-- nice set-back from the street, big old trees and maybe a couple of dogwoods in the yard, maybe even walnut or pecan trees. Maybe it's not as modern on the inside as someone would like-- but renovation (not extensive) is always a possibility. Someone moves in from another state (like CA, for instance), where real estate is so high-- that to move anywhere else seems like a dream (in terms of $$$ real estate). They like the neighborhood described above-- and they see their dream location (not dream house, but dream location). So they come in, buy this lovely home, proceed to tear it down (along with some 100-year old oaks), and basically build something truly over-sized. Not only does it not fit the lot size, but it really doesn't fit the neighborhood, either. They've torn down all the trees to build this McMansion, and so now you've altered the street considerably. Get two more buyers to do that, and you're significantly altered the look of a single neighborhood-- for no good reason, other than you had money and bad taste.

I suspect annoyance also stems from the fact that when a house is structurally sound-- a house that's been maintained and has existed for nearly 100 years-- is torn down simply because someone can-- well, it's something I simply do not understand. There's a certain lack of respect for houses of a certain era, I guess-- and for a particular neighborhood-- and for the people who already live in the neighborhood.

Those are just some of the reasons I think "people get so annoyed by this." Besides that, this house just screams, "Look at me! Look at me! I have new money, and I got it to burn!"
  • rosecottagehome
    10 år siden
    Ageed dianahb. If I lived on that beautiful old town street you describe I would have been at the town hall planning meeting " annoyed", to give my nays for the out of size and character new build encroaching on my historical block. This very thing started to happen in the city I use to live. Thus the " Heritage Preservation" Committee formed to protect historical structures. Even if it is not an older historical neighborhood, in Ontario Canada where I live, proposals for a rebuild or big remodels like Bay Area Design did, would be put out to many neighboring homes and residents invited to give feedback if they so wish, before approval and a permit for such a project would be granted. Many moves in the right direction by local councils to avert what you describe.
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I think this was a great topic everybody has strong opinions, we also can do charming , just saying.
  • dbh
    10 år siden
    Bay Area Design: Nicely done. :) I think this is the sort of transformation that is probably in keeping with the surrounding area and that respects the lot, the neighborhood, the original bones of the house, etc. Thanks for posting that. Oh-- and nice that you kept that big old tree, too.

rosecottagehome: Yes; I would like to think people would be down at the town council in droves, screaming about the injustice of it all. :) Well, I sure would have. I think the other aspect that people don't often realize is that when it comes to renovating an older home that might be recognized locally, or state-wide, as a historic district-- that to make any renovations (but not changing drastically the look of the structure)-- you will usually get a tax write-off for maintaining an older home. When we renovated our detached (1927) garage into a working studio and office for me, the contractor realized that we were in a state-recognized (not local) historic district-- which we did not even know. Consequently, because we kept the look of the exterior the same (except for putting in new windows, new roof, and carriage doors-- but all in keeping with the era of the house and that detached structure)-- we received a substantial tax refund (doled out over 5 years) that paid for a good part of that renovation. Many people might have looked at that structure and decided to tear it down and start over.
  • clairebrody
    10 år siden
    Wow! Where can I view more of your projects?
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked clairebrody
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires: Projects and Ideabooks or you can hire them. HaHa!
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    10 år siden
    Bay Area Design, I am glad you showed us another remodel. Haha !
    I am not saying you are not a capable company of Architects/designers. But if I were one I would be more selective in what I wanted to design. And the house that is the topic of this thread is just so ostentatious beyond belief.
    I have been looking up which area you operate and the only thing I can think of is New England style. Now I hope the house you remodeled is somewhere in the Southern parts of the USA where it is 'somewhat' more appropriate. ;)
  • bungalowmo
    10 år siden
    Looks like a demo/rebuild. Not the same house at all.
  • dbh
    10 år siden
    Patricia: In my "southern part of the USA," the first picture would not be somewhat appropriate. That's not to say it hasn't been done, of course. Maybe you mean much further-- as in-- way south, ya'll. :)
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Well location does play a role here but if it's bad architecture nobody wants to share that zip code. Those that have followed us are aware that we schooled in New England moved to the Tampa Bay Area of Florida for 25 years then back to New England with my Family. This project wasn't ostentatious but this next one was!
  • andj32
    10 år siden
    I can understand getting upset over something like that ^
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked andj32
  • PRO
    Bianca Dasilva for Ethan Allen Orlando
    10 år siden
    I love how the remodel turned out. I personally love Mediterranean homes and that I can still see the resemblance to the original home when you show the photos side by side. It a beautiful home and no surprise that the client is thrilled!
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Bianca Dasilva for Ethan Allen Orlando
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    10 år siden
    Very nice!
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Mega Builders
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Coming from you guys that means a great deal.
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    10 år siden
    This was about the most interesting discussion I have seen on a transformation of a house like this. There seemed to be a lot of problem with the size and style but from the setting described I have absolutely no problem with that. I just wanted to say nice job! haha
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Circle Goods Reclaimed
  • rosecottagehome
    10 år siden
    Bay Area you do like to pull chains! LOL
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked rosecottagehome
  • asongforxx
    10 år siden
    Wow. Incredible transformation and a bit ostentatious for my taste, but I know how common "that look" is in that area, and the existing house was nothing special. Well done.
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked asongforxx
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    rosecottagehome what? me? This was very captivating to me I must admit, I couldn't wait to see the next comment.
  • cani
    10 år siden
    Wow, I love it! Soon as I win the lotto I'll call you, and I wouldn't care what my neighbors think. All of your transformations are incredible.
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked cani
  • PRO
    Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
    10 år siden
    It seems that the building is transformed form the old world into that of 21 new century. It's amazing. Good job, your guys.
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Linkstar Industry Co., Ltd.
  • Dia Dailey
    10 år siden
    Hard to believe it's the same house...amazing design
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Dia Dailey
  • grobby
    10 år siden
    Totally transformed and beautiful.
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked grobby
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 år siden
    What a great transformation! Beautiful work and amazing
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Michael Lee, Inc
  • mainstreetschool
    10 år siden
    Great job Bay Area Builders! Since quality waterfront property is at a premium in the Tampa Bay/St Petersburg area, many homeowners are doing this extensive remodeling for all the reasons you touched on. Also, elevation is grandfathered in when you keep existing walls. Many waterfront homes in a specific neighborhood are expanded this way. I enjoy checking out the changes when I visit my old neighborhood.
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked mainstreetschool
  • PRO
    Scott Haase | REALTOR®
    10 år siden
    The photo transformation totally made my mouth drop....great job!
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Scott Haase | REALTOR®
  • PRO
    Meg Blu Home
    10 år siden
    The first house was so entirely lacking in architectural merit that just about anything would have been an improvement. The early 90s was not a high point for home design. I can understand getting upset when people mansionize quality older homes but this was clearly not the case. The new house is not to my personal taste but its still way better than before. I cant imagine the before house was doing much to bring up the neighborhood home values either. I only see the one pic of each so it's hard to tell if either house was cohesive with the neighborhood. Btw are you in Florida or the northeast? Hard to tell from the various posts.
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked Meg Blu Home
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you megcblu, We work in both regions. The home is in Florida and most of the homes on this street are similar to the After photo.
  • handymam
    10 år siden
    I am always amazed by your work Bay Area! And now, I am amazed, in a bad way, at the comments of people that are not really commenting on your work, but what they dislike about people getting what they want in a house. Things may not be my taste in every case, but your transformations are always well done. I don't look at your work to decide whether it fits in the neighborhood or "ruins" the neighborhood. I enjoy your transformations for what you are able to do creatively to mostly dull or downright ugly houses!
  • PRO
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Agree, I truly feel that I am Helping my Clients take pride in the Home that they are raising their children in. I will keep posting and all comments are welcomed, Honestly.
  • merrigay
    10 år siden
    I'd be happy to take any of these transformations but especially the "charming" one.
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires thanked merrigay
  • Phil Boyd
    8 år siden

epic transformation. im speechless. i didnt even know this was possible. question - Miami building code requires a different foundation for a 1 story than for a 2 story. not sure about tampa. was massive foundation work required as well to support the additional weight?

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    8 år siden

I love the new transformation! Beautiful work! As long as the homeowners are happy, then that's all the counts!!!! Thanks for sharing your remodel with us!

• User
    8 år siden

Ugh. A classic modern design is converted into a faux-Spanish McMansion. I bet the inside is equally horrible.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    8 år siden
    Wow this is amazing !
  • PRO
    M&R Custom Millwork Inc
    8 år siden

Wow!! What a great house transformation. Thanks for sharing with us!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.