hwbudden

Construction details

hwbudden
10 år siden
this looks like 2x8 boards for a 16" height, correct? 4x4 support on the outside with a 1x6 around the top, correct? Do you put the gravel under the planter bed for drainage or under the boards to keep the wood off the ground? Do you line the inside with a landscape fabric?
The Hampton Garden · Mere information

(28) kommentarer

• Jana Syr
    10 år siden
    Rob, when using the pond liner, do you have holes in the bottom for drainage?
  • PRO
    Rob Kyne
    10 år siden
    We only line the sides with pond liner and the bottom remains open to the ground with gravel for drainage.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 år siden
    For us Rob, this is an inspirational photo. Thanks
  • Jana Syr
    10 år siden
    Thanks so much for your quick response Rob! We are designing our home and landscape and I want to incorporate your lovely planters in it. How I wish you were in Texas! Thanks again! Jana
  • PRO
    Мастерская ландшафта Дмитрия Бородавкина
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    jessejana,
    And in addition install landscape fabric (low density) between the soil and gravel, then the dirt will not clog the drainage layer
  • Jacinda Kitt
    10 år siden
    Have had this on my wish list for a long time, will be attempting it this Spring...beautiful, THANKS!!
  • sunshinedarlene
    10 år siden
    Thanks For the beautiful & practical inspiration! Just love it:)
  • brockltl
    10 år siden
    Rob: Outstanding job with this project. I'm curious, what type of stain or oil did you use? This is by far our favorite raised bed example. We're copying your plan for sure. Thanks!
  • denthygmeech
    9 år siden
    Are the posts in the ground? How deep? Or are they sitting on the ground?
  • redjulibird
    9 år siden
    Beautiful
  • Mutebi Henry
    9 år siden
    natural
  • hwbudden
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

Just a few comments after installing this...I used landscape fabric on the sides to keep dirt off the lumber. The post on the outside stop sides from bowing from dirt pressure. Posts are about 6" deep and hold bottom boards just above ground. I filled in wood chips so gap didn't show. Filled boxes with a high quality soil mix and planted tomatoes. Great results.

• minjeeah
    9 år siden

Wow that looks amazing and yummy, and awesome :) :) Hope its so good as it looks !!!!!!

• kkufahl
    9 år siden
    How big are the planter boxes? They appear to be 8' x 4'
  • lady1999
    8 år siden

Other than cedar, what kind of wood could be used?

• Eve Alexandra
    8 år siden

Cedar, Juniper, Redwood; pressure -treated (no chemicals or paint), recycled or reclaimed

• James Sutherland
    8 år siden

Has anyone added a trellis? I built 3 garden boxes, but as I am growing cucumbers & peas, would like to add a trellis. If so, please share your inspiration. Thanks.

• Kit Ruggles
    8 år siden
    I grew cantaloupe on a trellis last year. when the fruit got big enough, I used knee high pantyhose, making a cut down the top placed the cantaloupe in the pantyhose tied it to the trellis taking the weight off the vine.
  • kemccarthy1
    8 år siden

We based our beds on this design and love it. Since we're in California, we used redwood rather than cedar. The outside dimensions are 8'x4'6"x2'. We used carriage bolts on the corners and pressure treated wood for the outside posts. We didn't use a liner since the last beds I had in our garden were also built with redwood and survived 20 years with little to no rot. And since we have well-engineered plumbing and drainage system underneath the entire yard, we didn't add a drainage layer beneath the soil in the bed. The plumbing includes a separate irrigation station for each bed to which we connected drip lines. Although a layer of gopher wire would be recommended for most locales we've never had any gophers or moles here so it wasn't included. The soil was trucked in from American Soils in Richmond CA, the Local Hero type they sell.

More at www.kevinmacgardening.com

• hwbudden
    Forfatter
    8 år siden

Someone asked about a trellis....really easy with 1x1. We used strings for the beans to climb and easy to cut off after the season. The cross bars were attached with a thin plywood cut in squares, then cut corner to corner.

• minjeeah
    8 år siden

Did i ask that question>?? Don't remember!

What are you planting? we haven't even stared ours! HhAHAHAHAHAHA!

My new neighbor i was telling them about the raised beds Hwbudden and i told him what wood we used to go around it and he just wasnt sure i was right! How long of boreds do you need to make a bed?

Does it just depend on how big or not?

Just wondered!

you can let me know at your convenience!

Thanks!

• minjeeah
    8 år siden

Started *

• Alex Tee
    7 år siden
    Thank you so much for the inspiration! Never built anything like this before. So pleased with the final project.
  • minjeeah
    7 år siden
    Alex T are you the one who are doing raised beds??
  • Alex Tee
    6 år siden

no, I was inspired by the original design and just made my own. cheers

• minjeeah
    6 år siden
    @ alex T. Was this comment for me?
  • Ericka Bromley
    sidste måned

I love this post!!! Im buying the materials and setting up just like the pic!! Ty for the info and inspiration!!!!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.