caragriffin

Help picking basement epoxy flooring product?

caragriffin
10 år siden
I've taken up the carpet in my finished basement and am looking for a simple and affordable flooring in its place -- I think I'd like to go with an epoxy coating over the slab but am confused by the options and the terminology (is there a difference between epoxy flooring and epoxy floor coating and epoxy paint? between resin and epoxy? is all epoxy "rubberized"?)

The house is a 1919 bungalow; the slab is not in great shape (not entirely level, some pitting from taking up nailed-down carpet tack strips, some paint splashes, and one flakey section) but dry (I think -- I need to do a moisture test, but it's not visibly wet and the carpet, put in several years ago by the previous owners, was not moldy or anything).

I think what I'd like is a DIY, self-leveling, rubberized, epoxy flooring that's not-toxic and non-flammable during installation -- possibly either Ucoat or Ecoprocote Eco-Tuff Industrial Floor coat. I don't know what the difference between these 2 is, or whether these make more sense than similar products by other brands (rustoleum, behr, BM, etc).

I'd also like to hear about others' experiences with epoxy flooring -- is it slippery when wet? will using a satin (not gloss) coat make it less slippery (I'd rather not use the texture option, to keep it more finished-looking)? If I use a self-leveling type, will that correct for some of floor imperfections, or will I need to grind it down first? how difficult is it to prep and apply? does it look dirty easily?

I'd like it to look something like attached (from the ideabook "The home of Bianca." The story says this is white -- I might prefer ivory, which this actually looks like to me, or a light gray, but generally this aesthetic). Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

(2) kommentarer

• midmodfan
    10 år siden
    I am also investigating this flooring option since quite some time, but for the living areas. As far as I know, epoxy floors are a tricky diy project. Even when done by pros, the result is not always what you may have expected. Did you delve into the "how to" youtube videos? They may help you to find out whether or not you'll dare to tackle this project by yourself.

For purely selfish reasons I hope some pros chime in. ;-)
  • PRO
    365 Renovations
    10 år siden
    Epoxy floor coating is not a DIY project, as a painting pro this is a process we recommend using a company who specializes in epoxy flooring, and only uses a high quality product. This is not something you want to buy at your local big box store and expect it to last more than a year or two.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.