lmcelaney

Two pulls or one?

Lauren
10 år siden
On larger (wider) kitchen drawers, do you use two pulls or one? And why? Here are 2 pics of some of our wider drawers. We are using polished chrome cups. Thanks!!

(61) kommentarer

• Lauren
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks everyone - we are doing these pulls on the cabinets and the emtek polished chrome cups on the drawers (sorry I didn't take a pic of the cup on the drawer). I had considered doing a 7" pull on the wider drawers (and cups on the smaller ones) but I thought it would look too choppy.
  • Lauren
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Hi @gduplessis - the cabinets are custom from a local cabinet maker (Faneuil Kitchen).
  • Susanc222
    10 år siden
    I say scratch the cups and use pulls on both doors and drawers (with a single pull per drawer). Otherwise, the only way it will look balanced is maybe trying a cup centered above each door. So the first drawer would have 1 cup, the center drawer would have two. But no, I really suggest using the pulls on all.
  • bratcat
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Personal preference, either one will look great but my vote would be one large pull. Think about how often you will be using two hands to open your drawers. Would love to know what your counter top material is, your kitchen is going to be gorgeous!
  • PRO
    The Ten Hoeve Realty Group, Keller Williams
    10 år siden
    Stick with just the pull cups on all the drawers. Mixing in 7" pulls on anything but the cabinets will definitely break up the classic, clean aesthetic. Use the 7" pulls, vertically on cabinet doors. On wider drawers, while 2 cups wouldn't be a bad idea, what should be the deciding factor is the symmetry and amount of space between each cup and the edge of the drawer. If by putting 2 cups on the wider drawers will cause them to look "bunched" or too close to the drawer edge, stick with the single cup even on the wider drawers. For the look you are trying to achieve, simplicity and symmetry are key.
  • PRO
    Paris Flea Interiors
    10 år siden
    PULLS,PULLS and more PULLS!!! Beautiful kitchen. Please post your after pictures , best of luck to you. Paris
  • Eva Braca
    10 år siden
    I would use two! But that's me!
  • PRO
    Arnal Photography
    10 år siden
    Not sure I'd go with library pulls on that kitchen style. If you're in love with them, I'd go two. Otherwise one larger pull would be better for the rails as well as the esthetic of the space.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    I used handles and knobs, just one on eadh cabinet door or drawer.
  • PRO
    WaterMark design.build.remodel
    10 år siden
    I agree with khillen... pulls on doors - handles on drawers. Two handles look good on the wider drawers, but we installed one because we wanted a lesser "cluttered & busy" look.
  • njmomma777
    10 år siden
    I used one cup on the small drawers and two on the large drawers. Knobs on the tiny drawers and cabinets. You need to make sure your bin pulls are large enough to properly distribute the weight of the drawer.
  • Danielle Mac
    10 år siden
    I would use one nickel pull handle for the wider drawers, something similar to this kitchen. I think it creates a cleaner finish. http://houzz.com/photos/693642
  • PRO
    Tricia Hauser Tidemann
    10 år siden
    I think the larger drawers look best with two bin pulls. One would look disproportionate to the size of the drawer being opened and may look like you skimped on the pulls.
  • PRO
    WaterMark design.build.remodel
    10 år siden
    Where is this project located? Just curious as to what the average cost, or linear foot cost, is charged in your area for these cabinets with the recessed doors? Thanks! Is that Carrera marble on the tops, or its it granite...? If it's marble, be very careful. Any hard object will scratch the tops for sure if they slide across. Also, staining will be a concern. Hairline scratches can't come out without doing some on site re-polishing, which can cost a lot.
  • Lauren
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    We're located in Hingham, MA. The counters are "wicked white" quartzite. It's a lighter version of the "super white" and much more durable than marble.
  • M V
    10 år siden
    I like the cup pulls, and on the drawers I would consider 2. Would you consider going black or oiled bronze (really its black), I think it would look fabulous. Although the polished chrome is also very nice - the black would be higher contrast. Your kitchen looks really lovely - the millwork is really beautiful. Kudos to your kitchen fabricator and contractor. Have you got a backsplash chosen?
  • PRO
    Staged 2 Sell Solutions Inc.
    10 år siden
    large handles on drawers for even distribution of force and pulls or smaller handles on doors. But I also like the library pulls, glass pulls to add some "bling to the kitchen"... endless choices. We worked on these 2 kitchens and chose 2 different type of pulls, I like them both.
  • Ann
    10 år siden
    I also like the idea of your cabinet pulls on your drawers too (two on the longer drawers). I agree to skip the cup pulls altogether. I LOVE your countertop. I've had a quartzite island countertop for about a year and quartzite is amazing! Yours is beautiful!
  • PRO
    Simply by Dana Interiors
    10 år siden
    Cabinets are a little banged up now :( but you'll get the idea anyway. We used a combination of pulls on this project. Used 2 knobs on drawers with less depth and larger pulls on deep drawers for better weight distribution. Cabinet doors have their own style pull. Good luck!
  • shelleyuk
    10 år siden
    We are just about to install a very similar kitchen and are using two cup pulls on each drawer. My dilemma is whether to also use the cup pulls on the cupboards (centred on the bottom of the wall cabinet, we have no base cabinets, only drawers)
  • feeny
    10 år siden
    shelleyuk, I love cup pulls, but I don't think they are really meant for cabinets, only drawers. They look awkward to me, even placed at the bottom. I would use knobs on the cabinets if you are using cup pulls on the drawers.
  • armipeg
    10 år siden
    One will work for large drawers, and it looks nicer with the other ones.
  • Julia Starr
    10 år siden
    I like the long sleek pulls for drawers.
  • shelleyuk
    10 år siden
    You're probably right feeny. I haven't really found many pictures with cup pulls on the cabinets which indicates its probably not a good choice.
  • feeny
    10 år siden
    We used cup pulls, shellyuk, and the only time we put them on a cabinet door is when that door was really a pull out (trash, paneled dishwasher) and functioned like a drawer. Otherwise we used simple knobs on the cabinets in a style that went with the cup pulls. (sorry, don't mean to distract from your discussion thread, lmcelaney, but at least it is on a related topic).
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 år siden
    We did knobs on the doors and pulls on the drawers. Wide drawers (30") we went with two pulls and I'm really glad we did. I think it looks skimpy if you only do one.
  • Toni Reno Colby
    10 år siden
    I have a white shaker kitchen, too. I used single brushed nickel cup pulls on all drawers...even the longer ones, and knobs on the doors. If you stick with what you chose for the doors, which are lovely, I'd carry that through to the drawers, as well. IMO the cup pulls don't coordinate so well with the handles you chose.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 år siden
    I prefer wider ones, looks more up to date.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    Just one.
  • User
    10 år siden
    Two on wide drawers. I prefer to keep with the proportion. So if the drawer isn't deep nor should the pulls. Deeper drawers get more substantial pulls in this case bin pulls. See attached photo.
  • A K
    10 år siden
    I use oversized handles on large drawers 12-14" especially under the cook top. It looks great.
  • pattikee
    10 år siden
    I went with knobs on everything. 2 on the large drawers.
  • barnandbungalow
    10 år siden
    One. If people start grabbing only one of them, then it might damage the mechanisms over time.
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    just 1 cup pull for each drawer will give you a clean, simple look. Knobs for your cabinets. Your countertop is beautiful!
  • georgepark
    10 år siden
    Two wooden knobs on wide drawers for cutlery, plates etc; two metal drop handles on wide pot drawers in island but only one cup handle for the narrower pull out bins and fitted dishwasher. Beauty in diversity! It all works very well.
  • PRO
    Design With Distinction, LLC
    10 år siden
    I specify long pulls (centered) on my projects with wide cabinet drawers. Two cup style handles will be cumbersome and difficult to operate, especially when you have your hands full.
  • E Donovan
    10 år siden
    We just completed a new kitchen and used 1 long pull on wide drawers. If a wide drawer has two pulls it will be damaged over time as people tend to only use 1 hand to open or close the drawer as the other hand will be full.
  • PRO
    Karen Rothen Interior Design
    10 år siden
    I recommend two pulls. I just finished my own kitchen and used cup pull. I think the large can definitely handle them.

Karen Rothen
    Karen Rothen Interior Design
  • sandidiana
    10 år siden
    I chose to use pulls (approximately 5" wide) for my large, deep drawers and a single knob for all cabinets and the 'normal' sized drawers. Very happy with how it turned out.
  • PRO
    Hirtz Construction and Design
    8 år siden

I ended up using a 4.5" pull handles and seems to look quite nice. When I look at other pics that people have posted with the 2 handles, it seems to look like a piece of furniture that might belong anywhere but in the kitchen. Also over time, if a person has something in their hands that they want to put away, they need or should use 2 hands to open the drawer to avoid the constant pull on the interior cabinet hardware and the eventual wear and tear of the drawer itself. If you are prepared to follow the rule of using 2 hands and want the extra "bling", I would shoot for the 2 handle look.

• Arlene B
    8 år siden

I , too , am torn between one or two handles on 36" drawers. I will have three of this size, top one is shallow slab drawer, bottom two are pot & pan drawers will have recessed trim matching the doors. The pulls I chose - see photo below - come in 3 sizes - 4-3/4, 5-1/4 & 6-7/8" and I don't think the longest one is long enough, I'm afraid it will look lost on the large plain drawer front. I'm thinking it would look better esthetically with two of the same 4-3/4" size as will be on the 3 smaller drawers, trash pull out and doors.

BTW, I have been told the same about tending to pull only one especially with hands full, which can damage drawer overtime.

My newly built condo will have ivory cabinets, Bradshaw Cambria Quartz countertops and chocolate wood floor.

HELP - now I can't decide on 1 or 2 pulls on the large drawers and time is running out to let the builder know.

• PRO
    Annie Santulli Designs
    8 år siden

I would do large handles on all. It gives a nice clean look.

• Arlene B
    8 år siden

Thx so much for your advice. You mean on all drawers?

• badlesmere
    6 år siden
    hi lauren have the same dilemma got to the end of the comments and didn't find out what you decided.
    can you share?
    cheers
  • PRO
    The Wiese Company
    6 år siden

Two pulls is industry standard, but in all honesty when I open drawers I tend to pull the handle closest to me to open the drawer rather than moving my body to utilize the two pulls. This would allow for the best drawer alignment over time which was mentioned earlier on. I think your drawers and hardware are a nice compliment to each other. I might have just made the drawer pulls on the larger drawer larger to balance the girth of the drawer front compared to the smaller drawers. Hindsight is 20/20!

• PRO
    New York Hardware
    6 år siden

Hello

We normally sugguest 2 per drawer when the drawer is longer(30" plus) But it all comes down to what you like and will depends on the handle you choose and the sizes it comes in.Feel Free to Contact us with any questions.

Thank you

Nyh

info@nyhardware.com

949-631-0631

• Houzz-bruger-ID-229595016
    3 år siden

Will it really damage your drawer if you are only pulling with one of 2 drawer pulls in an oversized drawer (over 30”)?

Ty

• Rachel Rundstrom
    3 år siden

Hi all. Reading through these posts. We are looking at the same dilemma but mostly because on the big drawers we are worried that when pulling them out over Time from one side or The other it will cause the drawers to loosen or become warped and not pull out smoothly. Has anyone had this experience? Basically our dilemma is... two small pulls on big drawers or one longer one in the middle. Just exploring functionality over time.

• poorgirl
    3 år siden

We just finished the drawers and doors and used 1 handle on all cabinets but we used different sizes for different size doors and drawers

• bratcat
    3 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}3 år siden

I also went with a single pull in different sizes based on drawer size. 12" pull for a 32" drawers, 7" pull for the 20" drawers and 9" pull for a 24" drawer, but went with knobs for all the cabinet doors.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.