jdingles

Painting my family room. Do you like this color?

J J
10 år siden
The room is west facing and high ceilings. Furniture is black leather and current accents of red. midtone hardwood floors to be installed soon.Open to design ideas.
This color is BM van courtland blue,

(39) kommentarer

• J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    This is BM Timber wolf.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 år siden
    You'll be able to better appreciate it if you paint a 12" square in the center of the white board, leaving a white border so your present wall color won't influence so much. Move the board around the space for 24 hours watching how light, time of day and electric light affect it. Nice color, you just have to decide if it works for you 24/7.
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    This one is BM nimbus grey
  • indianpatti
    10 år siden
    What kind of red accents are going to be in the room? If you could post a pic of the space, it would help.
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    The colors are on the BM color sheets, so no need to paint the walls. I just move the sheet around !
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Here is a red throw I'm using. I'm just in the early stages of designing room so totally open to all suggestions(other than changing the black leather love seat and chair).
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Current wall color is basic builders white. Awful.
  • hayleydaniels
    10 år siden
    I prefer the van courtland blue.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I like the colors but not for a West facing room. That light can do awful things to colors.

Please take a look at BM Valley Forge Tan. It will work with that “hot” tone in the sun.

I think you would be pleased.
    Benjamin Moore AC-35 Valley Forge Tan · Mere information
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Iamjudy, do you have color ideas? Should I go lighter?
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Oops. I just saw the rest of your answer! My ceiling color is a warm creamy color that sometimes shows some yellow.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 år siden
    Minnesota Residence · Mere information

Yes, the valley forge tan…also looks good with reds.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 år siden
    If you are going to paint the room, do the ceiling, too. If you go with Valley Forge (which has a hint of blue), do White Dove on the ceiling in flat.

Your ceiling probably shows yellow sometimes because of that West light.

I learned the hard way…painted a room facing West Monroe Bisque, which is a very nice color. That afternoon sun turned that room into a horrible brassy yellow.

The direction of your light makes a huge difference in paint choice.

Try this white and champagne toned fabric for your sofa pillows.
    Pillow Decor - Sea Coral in White and Champagne 17 x 17 Throw Pillow · Mere information
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Well houzzers, here is the ugly room. I know it needs a lot of work with color, furniture placement, art, tables, lighting and window treatments! So, go at it and let's create something amazing!
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    For those that want to help with the room design ....the budget is moderate, I like a good deal but husband days to do whatever! We just want it to be done well and not look hodgepodgey. We like traditional, transitional and even some modern elements .
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Valley gorge tan
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Valley forge tan
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thx Sandy, Revere pewter was our initial thought, we painted a sample, but wasn't sold on it. What do you think?
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Indianpatti, I'm not convinced i will use red accents.
  • grobby
    10 år siden
    Think color carpet will need to be consider for choosing paint. Colors you've chosen are nice, but don't think courtland blue( my fav) will work with color of carpet I'm seeing.
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Grobby, the hideous carpet is going very soon! Replacing with mid tone hardwood floors.
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    If anyone has photoshop and wants to mock up something without the carpet, that might be helpful?
  • anne dee
    10 år siden
    haven;t i read yr dilemma on another thread?
  • mcbmd3
    10 år siden
    For whatever it is worth, drop the red accents. Together with the black furniture, the feeling is heavy. If you painted the walls in a modern neutral, as suggested above, the look could be more updated with fun toss pillows, etc. Good luck.
  • hatetoshop
    10 år siden
    Can you move your tv away from the window and against the wall to the right?
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Mcbmd3, I agree with you. Thank you for the honest comment!
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Anne dee, yes. I started another thread. It began as a color question, but led to design of the entire space. Sorry if I didn't do it correctly...I'm new at this:)
  • PRO
    C and K Curtains and More Options...
    10 år siden
    That is one of my favorite colors! I have seen pillows with that color as the base with black and brown patterns. This color is also in a lot of artwork. You can always change paint!
    J J thanked C and K Curtains and More Options...
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Christine, which color is your fav? Where have you seen the pillows?
  • PRO
    Sullivan's Painting Service
    10 år siden
    I think moving your tv, a fresh coat of paint, flooring and a window treatment will go a long way. I've used nimbus gray and timberwolf before. Both are nice. I really like the courtland blue. Which ever you go with I'd suggest using Ben Moore's Regal Select line or Sherwin Williams Duration if you're painting over builder's flat. It will cover better than anything cheap, and it's priced moderately. Maybe even consider installing some crown moulding. It's pretty easy if you have access to a chop saw and finish nail gun. I'd paint that ceiling too, go back to a clean white look. Darker colors on ceilings make the room feel like it's closing in on you most of the time. They're also harder to cover up down the road. What kind of lighting do you have in the room?
    J J thanked Sullivan's Painting Service
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    No overhead lighting ! Crazy, I know. So for now we need some nice lamps. We like the courtland blue and valley forge as top picks today.
  • PRO
    A Fresh Look Design
    10 år siden
    Its a dark room so lighter color.....the valley forge tan is nice and use the blue as an accent color......need to lighten the room a bit......light curtains, rug....light like cream, beige or gray.........add some silver glam accents too.....the red is a bit outdated for accent color......
    J J thanked A Fresh Look Design
  • PRO
    Sullivan's Painting Service
    10 år siden
    I noticed you have some tables that are medium wood tones. Maybe put some swatches near them to use as a sort of preview for the hardwood. Or ask the company for a sample piece of what you like. Without any high hat lighting you may want to stick to a lighter color as suggested. Check out my website www.sullivanspaintingservice.com I have pictures on there with a few colors.
  • jillybeansisme
    10 år siden
    Most importantly, which one do you like? You'll be living with it. I would definitely get a quart of the couple of different colors you are thinking of. I would paint FOUR swatches of each color on separate boards -- each being at least 18" big. I'd put one of each on each wall (like a picture) and see which one I like best after several days. Once you decide, you might want to paint 3 walls that color and then get the same color but several shades lighter or darker for an accent wall.
  • PRO
    C and K Curtains and More Options...
    10 år siden
    Does this picture need anything on either side of it? the lake is on the opposite side. I bought these oyster candle holders which are about 16" tall to go on either side but I think the proportion is not right.
  • lbartos
    10 år siden
    Yes
  • PRO
    A Fresh Look Design
    10 år siden
    Not sure if that is the right spot for them.....looks like it will be cramped in a small space.....but if you love them, and bought for the room, then they need a home there....
  • J J
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    For those interested, I painted the room Revere Pewter grey by BM.
    I loved several of the suggestions, but didn't look right in our space.
    I do have another thread going with the whole room-"have fun helping me design a room" if you want to continue the journey.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.