gduplessis

Art piece above couch

gduplessis
10 år siden
sidst ændret:10 år siden
I like our living room. I like our mass produced 'art' piece above the couch. And I know I didn't get the right size, but it's staying. I tried a pair of candle sconces from Ballard Designs on each side to balance it, but it just ended up looking tacky. I could order the other art piece that is similar and have two instead of one. But then it might be overpowering. Any suggestions? Do I need something on the sides?

(130) kommentarer

• Diana Alteras
    10 år siden
    Two pictures is too much...I prefer one large and two small version
    gduplessis thanked Diana Alteras
  • leelee
    10 år siden
    @ Grover...I had bunion surgery on both feet at the same time. One was very bad and one was just a little bad. The one that was bad has grown back! It's ugly but doesn't hurt like it did pre-op.
    Surgery is quite painful but they've probably improved techniques since my operation. Make sure you go to a doc that specializes in bunions not just an orthepedic dr.
    gduplessis thanked leelee
  • cindinfocus
    10 år siden
    I love lessismore's photo of the room with the smaller lamp and the topiary, but with one painting and place it off-center a bit to the left. The slightly larger space to the right creates an interesting void that could be offset by a tall palm next to the window, behind the round table. This would be away of linking the inside with the outside view making it seamless.Get a good fake palm that will behave itself! I also like the aqua material for the seat covers best, as it will "pull" the aqua accents from the painting into the room. I love the white bowl on the coffee table with no green apples! The green there stops the eye instead of leading it to the painting, or the window view. If serenity is your goal, you have a great start!
    gduplessis thanked cindinfocus
  • n247080
    10 år siden
    Your room is very inviting and cozy. I think you've done a wonderful job. The art is perfect for that room. The only thing I think I'd change if you want to do something to add a bit more "wow" would be to recover the two chairs on the side in a color that enhances your art. Kudos to you for your excellent eye for decorating!
    gduplessis thanked n247080
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks again to all the wonderful suggestions. Cindinfocus: I have been considering a palm or feicus for the corner. It's an empty area. And as soon as I am back on my feet I will search for some fabric that will work to cover the chairs. Does anyone have suggestions as to where to find nice fabric? Maybe online. I never seem to find what I'm looking for at the fabric stores around here. I will remove the mirror, but the problem is that the wall is very looong and plain.
  • janeinfo
    10 år siden
    Two good fabric sources that I've used: fabric.com and hancock frabrics online. No matter what you do, your home is beautiful. Merry Christmas!
    gduplessis thanked janeinfo
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks janeinfo! I will begin my search.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 år siden
    you could also try beautifulfabric.com, joann.com
    gduplessis thanked Nancy Walton
  • blueskiesinNM
    10 år siden
    Lessismoore: I can't figure out how to private message you. I have questions about how you photo shopped gduplessis room.
  • caron0217
    10 år siden
    You have a beautiful home!
    gduplessis thanked caron0217
  • PRO
    A Fresh Look Design
    10 år siden
    Ballard has these mirrored sconces in clearance section right now for 59.00 a piece that would be great. Has bronze tone in trim and you put a candle that reflects.......check it out....
    gduplessis thanked A Fresh Look Design
  • Marianne Scoggin
    10 år siden
    I like the Photoshop picture without the mirror, larger lamp there AND the two pictures. I like large statements. I hate little bits of this and that all around. Love the room with two art pieces.
    gduplessis thanked Marianne Scoggin
  • lessismoore
    10 år siden
    @blueskiesinNM - email me: akawatermusic@gmail.com - I wish they had a pm feature but I haven't found it either :-)
  • sbrustein
    10 år siden
    I love the picture alone above the sofa. It might be a little small for the space, but it wouldn't be with a frame . I would use a simple silver toned frame and I think it would make a bigger statement in the space.
    gduplessis thanked sbrustein
  • Laura Casey
    10 år siden
    This room is WONDERFUL-I like the negative space.....take some time to look for a painting that you love.....
    gduplessis thanked Laura Casey
  • Nancy Walton
    10 år siden
    To send personal messages, go to the person's profile, click on an ideabook, and then post a comment.
  • bellesum
    10 år siden
    Lovely home! I like the art piece as it is. Don't add smaller pieces next to it! I don't see a need to change anything but you could try removing the mirror and add a larger lamp to the chest to see if it is better. But, really, it looks good.
    gduplessis thanked bellesum
  • grasshopperhome
    10 år siden
    I love your room. Where did you get the tall basket? We are doing our living room and I love your basket with the lamp.

Thanks, Catie
    gduplessis thanked grasshopperhome
  • Nancy Walton
    10 år siden
    blueskies, I sent you a message on your bathroom ideabook.
  • yytcm
    10 år siden
    I still like both large pieces above the sofa even though they might be a bit too large and I also like one large piece although it may be a bit too small; however, I don't like the two smaller pics to the right of the one large piece - they distract and annoy. I have a similar challenge with a perfect piece over the couch which I dearly love but all is on a vaulted wall and the area above the art is empty. Someone suggested an "art" wall but I realized that no matter what I chose and how carefully I chose it, it would take the focus away from my beloved aspens. So - something other than art work if you feel you really need it - the right framing work could do the trick but it's going to be pricey and it's scary too because it's difficult to get a really accurate picture of the final product. The other changes you've made or are thinking of making, once your feet get out of the way and your hands can take over, are great and/or going to be. It's still a very lovely room and it's only going to be better, I think.
    gduplessis thanked yytcm
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    grasshopperhome: I'm guessing you are talking about the basket on the bottom right? I think it's from World Market. I used it as an entryway shoe container for a few years until it landed there. I'm hoping it doesn't have some lingering stinky boys shoes inside. Haven't checked for a while.
  • hollyhock3
    10 år siden
    I think this room is lovely....very restful. I love your art piece above the sofa and I don't think you need to add another one. That would be too much. I think people often feel uneasy about the scale of things and even though this piece could have been a bit bigger, you love it and it looks really great. I am trying to de-clutter my house and move to a more simple look. My trouble is I love to shop and I don't have enough wall space so I now just enjoy looking at the art in the store! Good luck!
    gduplessis thanked hollyhock3
  • dallasgraduate
    10 år siden
    I like what you have so far. The only change I agree with is reupholstering the two chairs. Large fabric stores in my area usually have remnants for 5-10 per yard. eBay is also a good source.
    gduplessis thanked dallasgraduate
  • egee
    10 år siden
    Hi. I would switch the mirror and the artwork. Hang the mirror over the sofa, but in the opposite direction that you have it now. Don't hang it too high. Put the artwork on the chest, but not hung on the wall, just leaning, like you currently have the mirror. The mirror will look great above the sofa.
    gduplessis thanked egee
  • kt20
    10 år siden
    The room is just lovely - thank you for sharing it!. I think your mirror is fighting with the painting a bit for attention, which is why so many people are noticing it. I think the mirror works with the chandelier in the dining area (both are slightly rustic; your sitting area is a little more refined) - could you maybe consider relocating? The earthy/ green hints in the room really work well, and pick up the tones in the painting - if you increase these, it may help to bring the art and the room together. If recovering the sofa is a bit of a massive task, you be willing to try a couple of accent cushions? The white bowl on the table is lovely - maybe consider a similar tone for the topiary, if it is staying inside.
    gduplessis thanked kt20
  • PRO
    Artzila
    10 år siden
    Thats a great looking room! Consider framing your art?
    gduplessis thanked Artzila
  • barnandbungalow
    10 år siden
    Your room is really perfect as is. I'm curious, are you a home decorator of designer?

BarnandBungalow.com
    gduplessis thanked barnandbungalow
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    barnandbungalow: Thanks! I am neither. I teach childhood education at a local community college. We live in a not so glamorous 1970's split level home. With three active boys, this used to be the playroom since it is adjacent to the kitchen. I wanted to hire a decorator for this room since choosing a couch seemed overwhelming to me, but my husband kept encouraging me to do it myself and I'm so glad I did.
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    How nice that your husband recognized your talent! That speaks volumes and he has to love what you have done with this room.

Enjoy your holiday break from teaching!
    gduplessis thanked abbyjean
  • ammks
    10 år siden
    Gduplessis, are those birch trees outside your living room window? I love birch trees and I love the view out of your window. Your whole space is so beautiful and cozy.
    gduplessis thanked ammks
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    ammks: I think there are some sycamore trees out there, but I am not sure of what most are. I love every season out this window. Here is our winter view.
  • PRO
    REDesign Interiors
    10 år siden
    The art above the sofa is the right scale for the space. It doesn't need anything hanging on either side of it at all. The mirror is too large though. How about trying a round mirror in that place or an oval one? Also get two small, lumbar pillows for the chairs.
    gduplessis thanked REDesign Interiors
  • PRO
    Real Estate Professional
    10 år siden
    You're absolute right... the colors of the pillows make the room pop!
    gduplessis thanked Real Estate Professional
  • lessismoore
    10 år siden
    That picture out your window ... so beautiful. I'd never get anything done with a view like that. One thing I considered earlier was to capture the image from your window in its "green" mode, that inspired your liking of the print. With a little computer magic, it could be transferred to canvas. Here is an example using your "winter" view, with a few artistic filters applied. This can be more or less abstract vs. realistic, but the advantage is that it can be sized however you like.
    gduplessis thanked lessismoore
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Wow lessismore, that is beautiful. How did you do that?
  • lessismoore
    10 år siden
    I have photoshop and after saving your original image applied "art" filters and tuned up some colors.
  • Laura Casey
    10 år siden
    WOW this is way cool......
    gduplessis thanked Laura Casey
  • Kathleen Jamison
    10 år siden
    I agree your home is lovely. The large mirror may be to heavy or it may be just the think that creates the electric look. Also agree you need greens on the rattan chairs. Other than that enjoy your design.
    gduplessis thanked Kathleen Jamison
  • Kathleen Jamison
    10 år siden
    Agree with lessismore love the photo shop shot. I am abstract painter and decorator and never thought to hang same painting side by side upside down, brilliant. With your neutrals two canvass is not to much.
    gduplessis thanked Kathleen Jamison
  • lrm1
    10 år siden
    You have such a pretty home, I am sure whatever you decide will look beautiful! I love the advice that is so generously given here on Houzz. What color paint do you have in your dining room?
    gduplessis thanked lrm1
  • lessismoore
    10 år siden
    Thanks Kathleen - I hope you'll post some of your paintings in your ideabooks :-)
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 år siden
    Beautiful, lessismoore! I don't see how it could get any better! You win the prize! Wish I had some Houzz slippers to send you like they do on here for contests! Really, really neat.
    gduplessis thanked auntiebuzzybee
  • lessismoore
    10 år siden
    LOL: Thanks bsellers! The likes warm my heart, no slippers needed.
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Irm1: the paint color is C2 shiitake. Same as the living room. Tried to many neutrals but this one worked well with the lighting in these rooms.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 år siden
    Hi gduplessis! How is the recovery going? Are you getting around now? I'd be so in love with your view. That has to have helped while having "down time". Anyway, hoping you are improving and buying new shoes for the spring : ) !
  • gduplessis
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Hi bsellers1394. Thanks for asking! I'm doing really well. Hobbling along with my frankenboot just fine. My neighbors are helping with dog walks. I'm fortunate that it's my left foot so I can drive. I was actually enjoying my time after surgery where my husband was bringing me meals in bed and taking care of the kids while I was hanging out on Houzz.
  • Cath
    10 år siden
    The room is lovely - fill it with some guests and a few glasses of wine - and … voila - done. (well ok - the mirror thing - and the recovered chairs - but you're there one way or the other). Hope you heal up soon! Note: I love your dining room - very similar to my own but I'm looking for a chandelier; you've given me some direction!
    gduplessis thanked Cath
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 år siden
    Wow, seems like its been quite a while you had that surgery. I just remember it but didn't look back to conversations or date...just seems that this recovery is lengthy...yes I remember you saying you were being treated well and a bit drug foggy. I'm glad to hear it's doing well and that you have good help and great attitude. Be careful you don't slip in that boot and break your patoot! Looks like snow there and so cold. Glad to hear you are good. Take care.
  • PRO
    Robin Reiners
    9 år siden
    The two works together are too overpowering. You can keep the one, the color is very nice, but then add two smaller not the same size works to the side of this piece. Framed, and a bit more neutral, but perhaps picking up a bit of your color or complimenting it. I would be happy to look for works for you - this is not the same, but shows a grouping above a sofa. Works that I helped a client put together. The large painting on the other side I sourced for them as well.
  • PRO
    Lorna René LLC
    9 år siden
    Lorna Rene' fine art will go great with that design!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.