cocoa_chanel12

Please help! Need curb appeal.

Chris B
10 år siden
Hello, this is my first time posting here. We recently purchased our home in June. We've been diligently working on the interior, and now I'm starting to think about the exterior for 2014. I am looking for suggestions on some budget-friendly ways to enhance our curb appeal. We live in a somewhat laid back HOA but the colors can't be crazy. Also, the garage door is pretty basic, painted the same color as the stucco. We live in a suburb of Phoenix, and I don't have a green thumb, but I managed to overseed our tiny patch of grass for the winter with success.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

(9) kommentarer

• Maria Smith
    10 år siden
    What do you think about creating a path to the front door that curves out to the sidewalk, to the corner of the driveway and sidewalk? You could do it in brick, remove the hedge so the brick on the house and the front porch show. Removing the hedge and putting in drought tolerant flowering in its place and along both sides of the path would unify the look. Then paint to compliment brickwork. Pop a few of those plants, maybe in threes in the rock garden as well. Matching brick overlay at the base of the two columns would substantiate/ground the columns. New front door, maybe something in a heavy rustic wood would be nice too. The tile roof needs elements beneath it to visually carry it. When it is done you could put some chairs and a table on the porch to really make it inviting. Super curious to see what others think, really a diamond in the rough!
  • Chris B
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Hi Maria, I really like your suggestions. I'm so glad someone else thinks the hedge needs to go. Any ideas on paint colors? I'm not sure because of the colors in the tile roof, but I'm not a fan of the blue/gray trim color.
  • Maria Smith
    10 år siden
    I am not a color expert, but blue does not go, the color should be something that blends with roof and brick....thinking that the blue trim should be lighter, body be a tad darker. When it comes time to do the windows, seriously consider the color of the frames. There are some super talented people here that might be able to do a rendering for you to use as a template, then you could gradually work toward that rendering to get the overall look you want. A pic with the garage door down would be helpful.
    Chris B thanked Maria Smith
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    10 år siden
    I think when removing the shrubs you should match the rock in the front with rock by the door/walkway and include succulents in the rock. Hesperaloe and others like it would be good.
    Chris B thanked Red Berm
  • Maria Smith
    10 år siden
    Red Berm....love those!....would certainly draw the eye to the front door and walk, soften the hardness, and put the roof in its place.....
  • mcbriec
    10 år siden
    Right now you have one big horizontal line from the roof, one big horizontal line from the hedge, another horizontal line from the grass, and yet another horizontal line from the gravel. I think that breaking up those horizontal lines is the key to making your home look much better.

I realize you just seeded that grass, but I think grass has a very hard time in the desert and that it would be much more harmonious to lanscape with plants adapted to your climate. I can picture a curving path with large boulders and rocks to break up the flatness. Or you can break up the box by making a dry riverbed which makes an undulating diagonal path across the front. I would drive around your neighborhood and look for inspirational gardens. You can take photos of them to a landscape professional or nursery.
    Chris B thanked mcbriec
  • PRO
    A Fresh Look Design
    10 år siden
    Quick easy fix if you dont have big budget ot time is get two pots (which i hope you have) for in front of the posts out front with tallish plants to soften the front......but agree with path to door and bed space between it and the house to add plantings....
    Chris B thanked A Fresh Look Design
  • Zhenhua Shi
    10 år siden
    very beautiful!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.