kimmie014

Should I Paint My Cabinets White?

Kim White
10 år siden
Our kitchen needs an update, we are considering changing the backsplash, painting the cabinets and expanding the island to fit four (husband's request). We're torn because the cabinets are not the best quality so I'm not sure if we should paint or purchase new, we have a limited budget. My style is transitional, I want it to give me the same feeling as our family room. What do you think? I'd also like professional help with making a decision, we live in Johns Creek, Ga. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

(293) kommentarer

• Kim White
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I agree, I have blue in my family room and I'm planning on using blue and yellow for spring. It's always a work in progress.
  • Rachel H
    10 år siden
    Amazing transformation! I think I have the same fridge but in black - I had to shave down the upper cabinet to push it in farther. I don't know if that's an issue for you - it appears to stick out just a bit more in the after than before. It doesn't take away from how gorgeous your kitchen looks!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 år siden
    I believed you when you said you would see it through and post the final results for us to see here. I knew you would and am so glad you did. That's terrific that you really did come back. There is nothing less than fabulous about your kitchen. I know you must be so proud. That takes a lot of guts to rip your house apart. Very stressful, very disruptive, very dirty and expensive. You've been shining the whole way through though and look at you now! Sincerest congratulations.
  • PRO
    By Design
    10 år siden
    Beautiful!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 år siden
    Oh, yes...Gotta know, what did you end up doing/choosing for your dining table pendant light? Got a photo of that final choice? I may have missed that part.
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    10 år siden
    Love this transformation! Great job.
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Bsellers, it's funny you mention the light. I was told by Lux Lighting the correct light would come this month but now they say mid May. I've decided to go with a light from Restoration Hardware, it should be here next week. I 'll post when it arrives.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 år siden
    So much for Lux. That's been a long term disappointment with them it seems. Hopefully this will be an example of things turn out for a reason so maybe you'll be glad you ended up with this "just perfect" one from Restoration Hardware. Everything else has turned out great so I am sure this will be all for the best in the end. You've done a terrific job. Great taste, smart thinking and talented. Do let us see when you get it hung. Hopefully you got the return issue with Lux resolved fairly for you.
  • diyher
    10 år siden
    kwhite, what did you do about the light over your table? I don't see a new photo of that :) Last I see was when you said they sent you black instead of I think white?
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    You must check out my 5/13 comment. The light should be in this week, I will definitely post when done.
  • diyher
    10 år siden
    nice :) my husband installed mine 2 weekends ago. He put in the microwave on Sunday. Just waiting for the weather to get nice so I can paint and stain outside
  • hovep01
    10 år siden
    Wow. Looks great
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Diyher, you must be good luck, right after I responded to your text the light was delivered. I will post once the electrician comes back out and installs.
  • luscious111
    10 år siden
    Wow!!
  • sage0807
    10 år siden
    Absolutely beautiful!
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Well, the electrician came today and after paying an additional amount the light fixture was installed. I am happy to say I am finally done!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 år siden
    "And...that's a wrap, folks!" : )
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Yes, I am done with the kitchen, anyone need an eager design assistant, let me know ;-)
  • diyher
    10 år siden
    beautiful. I like it, and certainly better than the black one considering the table and chairs are dark. Now you can sit back and enjoy.
    I think I have until Sept until mine is finished since I first have to stain the cabs once the weather is warmer and fit it between doing art festivals and between my husbands job and his 2nd job of piano conventions. :))
  • abbyjean
    10 år siden
    You have done such a great job with your home! Thanks for sharing it with us!!!
  • anniau
    10 år siden
    Very well done, kwhite! I love it all and great value for the $$. You could have spent three times that to get the same result. Classic elegant and timeless. And I love the quirky kitchen stools. Sit back and enjoy a job well done.
  • Ruthie
    10 år siden
    ABSOLUTELY paint them. Your family room already has the gorgeous white woodwork. Go for it in the kitchen too. I think the wall color should change as well. Maybe a darker grey? Good luck
  • MMS
    9 år siden
    Found your thread! I will look at it in detail tomorrow after work and ponder. I'm so glad you posted on my question!
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    I'm confused, is kimmie014 the former kwhite? :)
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    and guess what, my kitchen isn't finished yet lol. I had to go in for surgery so things got post poned. But now we decided to buy all new matching appliances and sell the other unmatched ones to recoup some money
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Oh, I have moved on to my main floor bath, you must check it out. Now I feel my main floor flows well. Please post pics when you finish cause I know it will be nice. I recently broke my arm so there will be no more decorating for me for some time
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    on no, hope you are not in any pain. Are the bath pics on your profile page?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 år siden
    Oh Noooo! Don't do things like that!!! You're not supposed to break your arm for heaven's sake! Now do not do that again. You take good care of yourself now.
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I started a thread for the bathroom, I learned there is not a lot of interest in bathrooms but here it is...
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    nice :)
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 år siden
    But you are all finished though, aren't you? Its beautiful! You really have a genuine sense of style. And your color choices are fabulous! What's next???
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Now I'm only allowed to help others, my husband made me promise to use my powers for good ;-)
  • abbyjean
    9 år siden
    Oh, I love it! Can hear that comment being made. The good thing? You are GOOD at helping others with your design sense!!!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    9 år siden
    Diyher and you kimmie need to maybe go on a cruise where everyone will wait on you. Ma ke it a nice long one and to someplace you always wanted to see. Your excuse? It sure beats twiddling my thumbs!
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    :)) I wish I had time to twiddle my thumbs. Upcoming Autumn art festivals, and my husband and I finishing our kitchen left no empty schedule. Although I think we just blew any cruise money on all new appliances :)
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Small children and career don't allow me to "twiddle my thumbs either" but I must admit I am going on a girls trip to Bahamas soon. Great place for me and my broken arm. Diyher, you can join us ;-)
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    Kimmie, now that I look at your kitchen again :) how much space is between the top of the crown moulding and your ceiling? I'm about to buy 4 more wall cabinets, 2 I want the crown moulding to go to the ceiling, so the cabinets will be probably be 48" and the other 2 will be 42 or slightly higher so my husband can put LED lighting behind the crown that face the ceiling. We have 12 inches to the ceiling from the tops of the 42" cabinets we have now. I have to find out what the standard sizes of crown are, meaning 3" 3.5" or are they every inch. All that determines the height cabinet I order
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Diyher, I'm sorry I have no idea and right now I'm in no position to measure. I can check at a later date;-)
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    ok thanks :) I didn't expect you to climb with your broken arm, just thought you might have remembered when it was installed
  • Lynne Mysliwiec
    9 år siden
    So sorry to hear about your arm! Hope it mends quickly
  • Season Moore
    9 år siden
    I just read through your whole thread! We have an only 5 year old kitchen but I have always felt that the medium dark wood cabinets are just too dark for the space. I dream of a bright kitchen but I am also scared of painting perfectly good cabinets...will it hold up? No going back! Do you mind sharing the cost of painting? I am in Raleigh (from Atlanta!) so I would think we would be in similar markets. Do you feel like the painted cabinets are withstanding the stress of kitchen life well?
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Well, I am dealing with a few touch ups but I wouldn't change a thing. If your kitchen is always in use you will have a few nicks but if a good company does the painting it won't be as bad. Don't use painters, use a company that specializes in kitchen cabinet remodeling. I have mentioned the cost in the thread. If you use a good company, it could cost between $8,000-$10,000 to paint the cabinets it just depends. I added to the molding and glazed the cabinets. One regret I have is I didn't let the company paint the kitchen door and windows, it looks better when everything matches.
  • MMS
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    Season Moore, if you can find my thread (under marta1s) you can also follow the work in my kitchen. Reading Kimmie's post encouraged me too. We are not done yet. Had a few hiccups, the main problem is that the cabinet painter didn't do a good job matching the trim color (we were very clear when we asked for it), and also the portions he sprayed (drawers, doors and panels) turned out much flatter than the semi gloss enamel used to brush the frames. The painter ended up having to brush a third coat with an eggshell as he was not going to spray again. It was pretty stressful. I recommend you get a door sprayed first and brought to your house to see if the color is right before all the spraying is done. I hope you find my thread. Now we're waiting on the tile and hardware. By the way, we went with the second lowest quote we had. It varied from $4k to $8k (one color, no glazing), and we are in Birmingham AL. I can't speak about durability as it has only been a little over a month. So far it seems easier to wipe off spills.
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Also remember, the doors that are used all the time will take a beating, make sure the company leaves extra paint so you can touch up eventually. My company had a pretty good warranty so I called them back out a few times. Also try to make the cabinets and drawers 'soft close' it lessens the problems.
  • MMS
    9 år siden
    Kimmie - your cabinets were sprayed too, right? Does it work OK if you touch up with a brush? I wonder how the touch up works. And thank you so much for answering the questions and helping the houzz community. I'm sure there are a lot of people 'silently' reading this and learning from you!
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    I would use a high density foam brush to touch up. There are a lot of different widths. I used it for certain touch up areas of my cabinet I did last Summer. You should also get the formula for color mixture of the paint color. Having paint set aside in a jar, even sometimes goes hard. I kept every paint chip with the back codes that are scan-able and would write on the back which room I used it for. I had a special mixture made for my island, an adjustment to Sherwin Williams Sea Salt and I kept the lid that has the codes. So now, whenever I need more for any reason, I bring that lid with me so they can use the codes to create the special color again :)
  • Kim White
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Marta, you are right, because my cabinet doors are baked it is alittle difficult to touch up. The areas that needed touch up was small so the difference doesn't really show. I probably should have followed up the next day with the clear paint but it still looks good. Yes, Diyher I was told to use that type of brush when I do it myself. I have learned that upkeep is necessary but I am still happy with my kitchen. I want people to learn from my victories and mistakes, it's a big decision to change a kitchen.
  • diyher
    9 år siden
    Kimmie, so how did they bake your doors? I hadn't heard that before other than factory finished. Wonder what process they used
  • loudon1
    8 år siden
    I absolutely love the transformation of your kitchen! I just had brand new custom cabinets installed and am not happy with the antique white color I chose. It looks to yellow. I'm wondering if the painter just glazed the cabinet doors or the molding too. Also what is the white color used?
  • katie Ferguson
    8 år siden

Hello! I love your kitchen reno. You did such a beautiful job. I would like to know the name/brand/color you used on the white cabinets. You mentioned it was a off white.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.