yvonne_khor

Please help to choose the right rug.

Yvonne Khor
10 år siden
Hi,

I am not sure what kind of rug I have choose for my dining in terms of Material, versatility, color, cleaning and etc. I hereby post two photos of my living hall and dining area, both are the same space. And also some photos of the rugs I have been looking out, I don't want to spend too much on my rug because I might want to change a new rug after a year or two of using. Or do you think i should move the living hall rug to dining area? Please help to choose the colors, feel free to comment. Thanks in advance!

(21) kommentarer

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 år siden
    I would find a rug with some color, your living room cries out for some color and pattern. If you go with just texture in rug maybe some pattern in some drapery panels.
  • blseaver
    10 år siden
    I'd put the stripe rug there. It would pick up on the dark fireplace surround and make that less of a stark contrast to everything else. Then, I'd look for a couple pillows with a print incorporating orange and black to add to your sofa echo should balance out the space. Have fun!
  • blseaver
    10 år siden
    Ha! Just saw that I was looking at a console and tv and thought it was a fireplace! Looking on my phone and picture super small. Same advice, though. I'd hunt for an orangey lamp for beside the couch. That corner is dark.
  • qam999
    10 år siden
    It may make more sense to spend extra on a rug that you really love and will be happy to keep at least 5 or 10 years. Best-quality rugs last 100 years; moderate quality can easily last 30 years. There are so many great rugs at reasonable prices these days, and I recommend setting your sights above IKEA.

It appears you may be in the trap of thinking that as long as you choose everything in beige or white, you can't go wrong. In fact, you CAN go wrong and this living room shows it. It is so bland and there is nothing exciting or beautiful to catch the eye. Your DR, on the other hand, while also simpl and not heavily decorated, has enough contrast and variation (wood and black against the white), plus plenty of light, that it looks great.

I would never recommend orange and black to go with white and beige...just not my taste and may appear harsh and ugly. Since you're new to color, I'd start simple....a blue and white scheme, with wood and black as your accents. (Wood and black aren't really colors...they're more like neutrals.) Find a blue rug, perhaps with a bit of white and some other colors in it too. Orange and red can be used on 1 or 2 items for a bit more color. And there you go!
  • LD J-H
    10 år siden
    I'm looking at the dining room and I'm trying to determine your wall colors and on my laptop, it looks like one wall is a pale grayish-green, like a muted sage and the other wall is a rich ivory or pale gold. I think for the dining room, I'd find a rug with some greens and golds with maybe a wee-bit of rust.

For the living room, it looks like the wall behind your TV is a warm grey so combined with the couch, pillows and curtains, I'm thinking you're trying for warm, neutral tones. I think I'd look for a chocolate rug with red, saffron and cream accents in it.

Your rooms are beautiful and I love the mirror in the dining room and the entertainment center and curtains in your living room. Good luck!
  • PRO
    rutharjona
    10 år siden
    Hi...a jute rug for sure try that and change colors for pillows more dark brown / white / gray!!! Jute rug in ikea do not get it more pier one. No worth it at all. Curtains need to be more neutral color , maybe paint the walls and is a very nice space make it better!! You can do it!!
  • scarlettcohara
    10 år siden
    A Chilewich rug is easy care, pet and child friendly.
  • thebroomgirl
    10 år siden
    I recommend a brightly coloured, crocheted rug, made with t-shirt yarn.
  • PRO
    Aspen Homes NW
    10 år siden
    Nice persian rug would add to the room
  • Yvonne Khor
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Hi all, thank you for your opinions. I do know my living hall needs some colors, but I am so bad with color and conservative I would say. Can you please suggest a few sets of color combination on pillows or throw that I could use for my khakis or dark beige sofa , and swap in the future ? I will definitely put a pot or two green in my hall.

And how about my rug in my dining area? What color can I looks into? Pattern or plain? My living hall and dining area is just next to each other. As for the sideboard, what kind of decorative item I should look into? plan to buy a painting on the sideboard wall, I love Chinese calligraphy. What kind of details to look out for an oriental atmosphere
  • Yvonne Khor
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Forgot to tell you my wall are cool grey and warm ivory.
  • groveraxle
    10 år siden
    Let's get a little color in here and liven things up.
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Definitely try the living room rug in the dining room. Your chandelier is high; could you lower it to about 36” off the table top?

Where you love calligraphy and Asian, invest in the real deal. You will have it for life.
    Oriental Rug Chinese Ming Dynasty Hand Knotted Rug 12'x18' Wool Sh7251 · Mere information
  • groveraxle
    10 år siden
    Dining room possibilities depending on what you choose for the living room:
  • Yvonne Khor
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    This carpet can match my dining?
  • Patunya
    10 år siden
    I'd go for a big black shag rug in the living room, and add blue silky pillows on the couch :) The chandelier look so much better lowered. I'd change the whole look/position of things of the dining...good luck!
  • groveraxle
    10 år siden
    Yvonne, the rug you posted above would look lovely in your dining room and coordinate well with your current living room rug. But, I think you should change the living room rug because it really adds nothing to the room. Whatever you decide, the two rugs should coordinate since both living and dining areas occupy the same space.
  • groveraxle
    10 år siden
    Coordinating rugs can be really tricky. A thick shag in one of the colors from the rug above would add a little interest without competing, though I think you could use a bit more color in both rugs.
  • PRO
    MyCraftWork, LLC
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Really depends on what feel you're trying to spread in your room! Tribal/Eclectic, or modern, contemporary...
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.