edubya

Overdyed Rugs?

Emily H
10 år siden
I've recently become obsessed with overdyed rugs. I haven't used any yet, but I would LOVE to find a way to incorporate one in my home somewhere. Have you used one yet? What do you think about them?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

Semi Antique Persian Overdyed, Hand-Knotted 100% Wool Oriental Rug · Mere information

100% Wool Rich Red Sultanabad Overdyed, Hand-Knotted Oriental Rug · Mere information

Purple Tabriz Over-Dyed Rug · Mere information

(23) kommentarer

• bubblyjock
    10 år siden
    As in, DIY? When we were kids my mum "over-dyed" a big old rug that was a particularly vile pale green. This involved dropping it into the horses' water trough and topping up with gallons of brown dye, then laying it over the fence and hosing it clean again.

Some of the dye took, some didn't, and the rug turned an even worse mottled greenish brown - think, battlefield on a rainy day. I think it ended up as a dogs' bed.

But, these modern ones do look lovely on Houzz! :)
    Emily H thanked bubblyjock
  • Sigrid
    10 år siden
    I don't get overdyed rugs. It seems to me to be a way to recycle an old, faded rug, which would be okay, but they have all the expense of an oriental with none of the beauty. If you want a monochromatic rug with a subtle pattern, why not buy one designed that way?
    Emily H thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    10 år siden
    I'm not sure how I feel about them, I would consult with my designer http://www.houzz.com/pro/loridennis/lori-dennis
    Emily H thanked SoCal Contractor
  • dclostboy
    10 år siden
    I think they're a great modern take on an oriental, are a fun way to add color to a neutral room, and fully embrace "reduce, reuse, recycle"
    Emily H thanked dclostboy
  • sunnydrew
    10 år siden
    I a collection of rugs at http://www.greenspringcarpetsource.com/about.html that are first patch worked Oriental and other type rugs sewn together and then the whole thing is dyed. the result is very unique and beautiful.
    Emily H thanked sunnydrew
  • User
    10 år siden
    I like them. I have a Persian rug that is the wrong color for my house that I have been debating dyeing. I'm too scared to do it, so it has been rolled up in my garage for a few years now.
    Emily H thanked User
  • bubblyjock
    10 år siden
    @ Amy Stokes - send it to my mum - she might do a better job second time around! ;-P
    Emily H thanked bubblyjock
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 år siden
    I saw these online at a great price,found them at a local store that buys in bulk and they are $500 each ,the online website had great deals,they are very pretty in person
    Emily H thanked Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Sandra L
    10 år siden
    This is the first time I've seen these and my initial reaction was worry about the dye transferring. Also, I can't help but think that the dying process would in some way compromise the texture and feel of the wool. . .
    Emily H thanked Sandra L
  • sarajustice
    10 år siden
    I love them too! So fun! But hubby's not buying into them but I'm still gonna make it work somewhere in the house..he says they're too "trendy".

I love the last one u posted omg so gorgeous!

I did see a cheaper one in person and wasn't impressed at all. It looked very cheap lol. So I say if you're gonna go for one then make sure it's high quality!
    Emily H thanked sarajustice
  • PRO
    Vanessa Francis
    10 år siden
    IKEA even has a version in pink or grey. They are not on their site but I instagrammed a photo. (If you want to see go to my blog and click on the IG button) I love them!
    Emily H thanked Vanessa Francis
  • mairie
    10 år siden
    I have several large old oriental wool rugs with bare areas worn down to the jute. They came with the house (c.1902). I had seen over-dyed rugs and considered getting these ones done. Then I read somewhere that in "the old days" in summer they turned rugs over- wool side down to feel cooler-like sisal, then flipped them back in the winter for warmth. What I discovered was that when I flip these old beauties over, the patterns are intact and the whole rug looks uniform and much less 'busy'. And you can 'sweep' them. (I have even taken them out on the grass in summer and scrubbed the undersides when needed, and they dry the same day). It is worth checking the undersides of old woven rugs as an interesting alternative.
    I can see over-dying a rug where there are no other options for it-(eg. too torn to repair) and do like the idea of the patchwork version-preserving the good bits and overdying these to create a new piece.
    Emily H thanked mairie
  • Jody Hall
    10 år siden
    I used blues, yellow and brown tie dyes to dye an old rag rug made from old jeans. I think it turned out great, but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea.
    Emily H thanked Jody Hall
  • Paul Ricciatti
    10 år siden
    Real Persian rugs are valuable pieces of art...over dying renders them valueless pieces of garbage.
    Emily H thanked Paul Ricciatti
  • fefie
    10 år siden
    a great way to clean a rug if you live in an area where there is snow in the winter: put the rug up-side down onto the snow and beat it with one of those carpet-beaters that look like a tennis-rack. The rug will look like new again and smell great .
    Emily H thanked fefie
  • atthirtyone
    10 år siden
    I bought mine three years ago from a place called dhoku and their sister store ethnicon in the grand bazaar in Istanbul. They work with a designer to make nice compositions and at the time they were the only ones doing it. Three years later I am happy to say the prices and the quality, both of which were very good, have not suffered and the rug is as nice as it was when I got it. It survived five puppies and severe lighting, and remains my living room focal point.
    Emily H thanked atthirtyone
  • Tanya H
    10 år siden
    I absolutely love these. I also like the worn and faded ones. I admire the patterns of traditional oriental rugs, but rarely do I like the colours, so these are a perfect combination. I would not consider altering a true Persian rug, though!
    Emily H thanked Tanya H
  • PRO
    Rugsville
    10 år siden
    Overdyed Rugs are awesome, their intricate colors make them unique.
    http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/22488151/thumbs/Overdyed-Rugs-Collection
    Emily H thanked Rugsville
  • PRO
    Casamero
    9 år siden
    These color reform rugs are superb. We customize overdyed rugs in a wide range of colors and designs.
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 år siden
    I'm no authority, but I would love a blue one. They look pretty and I love the rich punch of color. :)
  • asquithoatley
    9 år siden
    Perhaps on a cheap or worn out rug only. I would never want a beautiful persian rug dipped in a garish dye.
  • PRO
    Vintage Carpets
    7 år siden

Overdyed rugs are also more commonly known as vintage carpets. They combine effortlessly with all types of furnitures. I strongly advice using Persian vintage carpets as they have the best quality.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.