maspeek

Do I replace the shower pan if I am retiling a shower?

maspeek
10 år siden
I just bought a 15 year old house and am redoing a bathroom. The contractor thinks we can tile over exisitng tile. Dont I have to replace the shower pan? I dont know if there were any leaks.

(12) kommentarer

• elivelund
    10 år siden
    I would.... I mean 15 years of water running I'm sure it would need a replacement - better than retiling and then finding out it needs replaced
  • sandra
    10 år siden
    My tiled shower pan in my 54 yr old house is leaking. Can I put an insert shower over my tile?
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 år siden
    It's better to do it 'right' the first time to minimize problems later.
  • dcconstruct
    10 år siden
    No, if it is the original pan it is made of lead and must be replaced entirely down to studs. Are you certain it is not the existing 54 year old tile that has lost its glazed finish? If so, it could be the walls that are absorbing water and taking the path of least resistance.
  • dcconstruct
    10 år siden
    My response was for Sandra
  • sandra
    10 år siden
    I have a 1960s Florida house with plastered walls. The water has shown up on the newer base boards and no marks on the plaster. Does that sound like the leak is coming from the pan or walls?
  • dcconstruct
    10 år siden
    Sandra,
    Is the house a slab on grade? If so, it could be the pan. Is the shower valve on the same side as the leak?
  • sandra
    10 år siden
    The house is on a slab and the leak is coming out on all 3 walls that back onto the shower.
  • PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    10 år siden
    Sounds like a liner failure. Time to do a "Do Over" - You may be able to salvage the original pre-slope layer if this was well done.

However you said moisture loss on three walls and that would lead me to think the pre-slope is not there to begin with.
  • lewmett
    10 år siden
    Anybody replacing tile in their shower should take it down to the subfloor and at least the dry wall, better to the studs. While your at it replace the shower valve. An acrilyc base is the easiest to install. Can be a DYI project, but you need to know what your doing.
  • PRO
    Better Living Design (BLD)
    9 år siden
    I agree that taking out old (even if not leaking) tile or pans back to the studs and flooring is the best plan. Then install all new, modern, plumbing, fixtures, etc. No way to cheap out on that without risking problems.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.