edubya

Long Distance Remodeling?

Emily H
10 år siden
Have you ever managed a remodeling project from a long distance away? How did it go and do you have any tips you can share?

Share your experience! (photos encouraged)

San Francisco Kitchen & Bath · Mere information

(23) kommentarer

• PRO
    Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
    10 år siden
    If you have an iphone, you can face time and it's like you're there. Good plans, great team and lots of patience.
    Emily H thanked Lori Dennis, ASID, LEED AP
  • PRO
    rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
    10 år siden
    You can use a windows or android phone too! :) taking pics, video, and onsite live conferences via anything similar to skype for a two way video feed is essential. Cloud based folder to store all pertinent project materials keeps thing tidy and accessible anywhere anytime.
    Emily H thanked rgkDESIGNS, Inc.
  • PRO
    Kitchen and Bath Unlimited
    10 år siden
    Yes, a good contractor, detailed plans and good communication are critical.
    Emily H thanked Kitchen and Bath Unlimited
  • ikoshy
    10 år siden
    Refurbished and furnished a vacation rental while I was thousands of miles away and it worked out great
    Let your project coordinator /contractor/ decorator know very clearly what you want before work starts,
    Keeping the project to budget was not as easy as if I was there,
    Photos were emailed and Skype was essential,
    Having someone you trust on site is important for things to work and so you can relax.
    Emily H thanked ikoshy
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    10 år siden
    A clock that shows the time at the project and another clock that shows the time where the client is.
    Emily H thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • D Shields
    10 år siden
    I've done this twice; with good results one time and bad, the other.

Photos (taken regularly and from all different angles) are of course critical.

So is trust, in both the person in charge of doing the work and in the person in charge of overseeing the person in charge of doing the work.

In order to prevent and misunderstandings, I recommend that the people mentioned above decide on a specific, written timeline and budget.

You have to allow for some flexibility in time and money (say 10%). But, you also need to hold the people involved to what they've agreed upon.

Otherwise, you may find your project being relegated to a lower priority than other jobs the workers take on.
    Emily H thanked D Shields
  • JAC Frances
    10 år siden
    Never! I can't imagine doing a long distance remodel. I'm always at hand when things are being done (or not!) in my house. You can't believe some of the things that can go wrong. If you have a trusted designer, friend, relative, then maybe they can be there for you. But, if you are bent on doing a remodel from a distance, protect yourself with the contract.
    Emily H thanked JAC Frances
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 år siden
    I did a kitchen remodel for a friend she lived in Miami and I was in Calgary but I did do a site measure in person and kept in contact with contractor on a daily basis with pics at each stage, it turned out awesome.
    Emily H thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • marybcotton
    10 år siden
    My mother remodeled our entire house before we moved in back in 1995! She relied on a fax machine, great contractor and a lot of drives to VT from MA. She still lives in the house and loves it just as much 20 years later
    Emily H thanked marybcotton
  • kadodi
    10 år siden
    My husband and I are building a custom home in Texas. WE are the builders. He is there and I am in Virginia. I was able to go for 2 months and 2 other 1-week trips. It's going well for the most part.
    Emily H thanked kadodi
  • ruahs
    10 år siden
    Agree with all that are saying good contractor but most importantly a great architect. I gut renovated an apartment in nyc while living in las vegas. There were only 2 change orders because the architect was thorough and all plans were final. The contractor took pictures of progress and emailed them to me on a regular basis, I had a site manager (one of contractors) in apt everyday all day. He set up his office in one of the rooms. Weekly meetings with contractor and architect to keep everyone on track and then they would report to me.
    Emily H thanked ruahs
  • patsy stover
    10 år siden
    Have done it three times, one success, two disasters. First time was a new Del Webb home in AZ. Construction was done while I was home in Canada. I am a paraplegic so I had specific changes. Construction was perfect and on time. Second time was a new home purchased in Canada and constructed when I was in AZ. Total disaster, the builder did not do anything according to specifications. Builder assured us home was ready when we left AZ, arrived to find home with flooring unfinished, cupboards not installed, no toilets, etc. Had to wait a month. Was so bad we considered suing them. Third time was on a resale home in Canada. Remodeling was done while we were in AZ. Estimate for changes to kitchen and bath was $6500 - $7500. Final cost $18000, almost three times original estimate. He charged by the hour, not the job. Never advised us that the costs were rising. Handicap shower was installed but nothing left from budget to make other changes in bathroom. Bottom line - would NEVER do it again. People just don't listen, you have to be there to make sure changes are done to your specifications.
    Emily H thanked patsy stover
  • Carolyn Diffin
    10 år siden
    Subway tile
    Emily H thanked Carolyn Diffin
  • lc29
    10 år siden
    I did it once on a small budget, luckily had an old school contractor who was as honest as they come. Was delighted with the new kitchen and laundry in my vacation home.
    Emily H thanked lc29
  • PRO
    Luca Grigioni
    10 år siden
    I have completed a nice project in Cardigan, Wales, from London few years ago. Beautiful result.
    Bespoke high gloss lacquer kitchen from Italy, including the s/steel worktop. All delivered and installed from Italy direct. See with your eyes.
    Emily H thanked Luca Grigioni
  • ashayea
    10 år siden
    In the middle of a whole house renovation in Johannesburg, South Africa, whilst I'm on assignment in Lago, Nigeria. What seems to have worked is a Houzz idea book for each room, weekly conference calls with pictures, and a visit every few months.
    Things seem to move a great deal faster, when I'm in town and there have been a few mis-understandings (apparently, to some South African's, double glazing simply means two panes of glass!) which probably would have been avoided had I been running around selecting everything myself. But, on the whole, it's been far more efficient than the last renovation, which I was much more hands-on.
    Even if I were in town, I'd probably go the same route next time
    Emily H thanked ashayea
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 år siden
    We have been working on a home 220 miles away since last April. We were only able to be there for a week a couple of times and 10 days once. Otherwise we were driving up there every Friday night and returning Sunday night. My husband would go back to work on Monday morning. We did most of the work ourselves but had the floors refinished and the interior painting done by contractors. It was wonderful to drive up there on Friday night and walk into a home with beautifully finished oak floors after living with filthy floors for many months. Then later it was the freshly painted walls. No more shadows where the previous owner's pictures had been hanging. It transformed the whole place like a miracle. That was the moment we knew it was our home and not just a project. Both contractors did an amazing job and we will never regret handing the work over to them. Now we get to just be decorators...until we do the bathroom.
    Emily H thanked Marilyn Wilkie
  • scootoo1
    10 år siden
    Have remodeled 3 homes, one of them twice and looking forward to the last one in a warm state. The first thing to do is make sure they are licensed in your state, if they are not, don't use them you have no real recourse . Don't take ANYONE'S word they are licensed and are great contractors. Second ALWAYS, ALWAYS get a signed contract stating the start date, the finish date and exactly everything they are doing plus exactly how much it will cost. If you change anything get an addendum to your contract, you can request or write yourself.
    Emily H thanked scootoo1
  • Emily H
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Awesome tips, everyone! Keep them coming!
  • Nadia Masse
    10 år siden
    Did it 3 times ... with the same contractor. First time was perfect, within budget and time limits. Second and third times, results were good, almost within budget but delivery was over 2 month late. My mistake? The first time the contractor agreed to sign a document saying he had to pay penalties for each late day. The 2 other times I trusted him to be on time. Conclusion: if you can, make it worth his while to stay on schedule.

For the rest, Skype and fax machine are a must. Perfect plans and very detailled instructions, down to the nitty-gritty are necessary. Even then, expect to have at least half a dozen decisions to take per week without seeing the site. You need to be able to visualize the place in clear details.
  • Isabel Salgar
    10 år siden
    Doing it for the second time in another country. I have had to go a couple of times to help organize subcontractors and make decisions on sight but with a good contractor it should go smoothly. I have been checking up on the carpenter, kitchen plans, lighting and plumbing plans from the beginning to make sure everything is being done properly via emails. I have also visited the sight a couple of times to make sure everything is being placed, measured and chosen according to the owners and my specifications. It is going well. Signed and corrected contracts and confirmed budgets are a must! Budget updates are important, and lots of to do lists for the owners have been really useful to keep the job moving. Good communication with the builder is also very important, two heads work better than one!
  • Cynthia Celenza
    8 år siden
    My husband and I bought a foreclosure in Florida and began remodeling from New Jersey. It is not for the faint hearted. Getting a good contractor is key but building codes differ from state to state. There will be a lot of surprises and most will be to your budget. A good punch list is a priority. Beware of what my husband calls "homeowner specials". They are the repairs or renovations a novice prior homeowner has done to the property.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.