sage0807

Paint pro's and Houzzer's - What type of paint is best for cabinets?

sage0807
10 år siden
I am researching contractors and have a couple of calls in to talk and get quotes. One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't look like there is one consistent paint type that all contractors use for cabinets. I have searched this site, the web, etc. and am thoroughly confused. One thing I read says oil based paint is the best for cabinets, another says water based, another says latex, acrylic, lacquer ………. I am stumped - WHAT IS the best type of paint that should be used for kitchen cabinets???

(14) kommentarer

• sage0807
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thank you ProSource. I thought I read that lacquer can be very shiny and easily scratched - is that the case? Or is that more of an "older" style? or am I mixing it up with something else - I've read so much conflicting information, my head is spinning. I need easily cleanable and as kid/dog proof as possible.
  • marchontoni
    10 år siden
    What about conversion varnish? How do the two compare?
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    10 år siden
    First of all, no finish is bullet-proof. For tough environments I always recommend conversion varnish. It was specifically developed for kitchens and baths. It is strong, and very water resistant. Its major drawback is that it is difficult to repair on site if damaged. Do not let anyone talk you into applying the finish on-site. It must be done in a controlled environment.
    sage0807 thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • sage0807
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Al Fortunato - what about the cabinet frames? From what I've seen and heard, most companies take the doors/drawer fronts off-site but do the frames in place.

So far, I've had one guy out and am waiting for his quote (I found him on Houzz and I like him a lot), I have another coming tomorrow afternoon; another that I'm trying to coordinate times with and yet another (the second of two I found on Houzz) that replied initially and I haven't heard back from. I'm asking around for referrals too but haven't had much luck.

Does anyone have insight as to roughly how much roughly repainting should cost???
  • PRO
    10 år siden
    I'm not sure what is common in your area. Here, most finishers do all the cabinets in their shop and then they are installed. Spraying lacquers or conversion varnishes is smelly to say the least and a safety issue. You may end up with dust and dirt in the finish since it isn't in a controlled environment. Even in the shop things happen, had a fly land in my just finished job last summer. I think he was drunk from the smell. Ask your potential finishers and see what they say.
  • User
    10 år siden
    Site constructing or finishing is for wannabe ''custom'' cabinet makers. They aren't actual custom guys. Constructing and finishing cabinets in an evironment designed to do that is the minimum acceptable level for a ''custom'' cabinet person. That term is so bastardized by hacks that the true craftsmen who do custom cabinets don't receive the accolades for the quality work that they do. Builders love cheap hacks is the only reason that that process still exists. Cheap custom products do NOT exist. It's an oxymoron.
    sage0807 thanked User
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    All we do is hand finished on site custom finishes. Our finishes are original to every project and are easier to maintain and repair than the sprayed finishes. As far as durability we have an excellent track record and reputation. I actually find the shop done finishes rather boring with little originality
    sage0807 thanked User
  • sage0807
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    More questions: What are the most common lacquer paints used by contractors? What brand is considered better/best? Are there lacquer paints that are only available to professionals?
  • PRO
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    There are many lacquer finishes available to professionals. In my area Mohawk and ML Campbell are used mostly, I'm sure in other parts of the country, others are liked better. I use ML Campbell products. It's not only the product that's important, but the finisher's knowledge, abilities, and processes.
  • sage0807
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks Al I really appreciate you sticking with me! I recognize that knowledge and experience are key and am definitely asking for referrals (for both recent and past jobs). In general it seems that some brands/products are just far less desirable than others. Given I know nothing about lacquer - I am looking for some guidance/opinions.

Do you have opinions or experience with the "General Finishes" brand of lacquer?
  • PRO
    10 år siden
    I am familiar with the name but have never used it and don't know anything about it.
  • PRO
    Uptown Interiors, Inc.
    8 år siden

I've always used Fine Paints of Europe. It has a beautiful finish and holds up very well over time. Caution: whichever paint you use, it's critical that your painter is skilled!

• PRO
    User
    8 år siden

We hand finish all our projects

Porcelana Cabinets · Mere information

Porcelana Cabinets · Mere information
    Fine paints of Europe

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.