jseviertn

Kitchen Cabinets: Oak to Black

jseviertn
10 år siden
Didn't like the color of the oak cabinets in my new place. Tried staining them American Chestnut but that wasn't working out well. Went with Rust-Oleum's kit and really like the results. I added beadboard to the peninsula, side of the wall cabinets, and on the sides of the sink area. Also added the brushed nickel hardware. Just working on the backsplash design now. Let me know what yall think!

(137) kommentarer

• Robin
    10 år siden
    oh! that is lovely! Quite a dramatic change and....it works!
  • Debi Murphy_Ernser
    10 år siden
    Dramatic, elegant, clean, superb!
  • whattahouse
    10 år siden
    Rustoleum's kit? What kind of kit and where do you get it? Your cabs look fabulous!
  • zanynurse
    10 år siden
    gorgeous
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    @whattahouse Google Rust-oleum Kitchen Transformations
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    @Lindsey Patterson the Kitchen Transformations kit was around $75 from Lowes/HD, the knobs were from Home Deopt and bought in a "Contractor's pack" I bought two of those for $14 each and have about 6 or so left over. The handles match and were around $3 each. The beadboard was about $25 and I had enough left over.
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    @jheslin I removed the doors but painted the cabinets still attached. It took me about 3 days, but I was also working on other projects at the same time. Without using the "enhancer," it would have been 2
  • jentconnelly
    10 år siden
    I'm doing something similar with slate blue on oak!! Looks great.
  • PRO
    Ideal Design Elements LLC (iDe)
    10 år siden
    Great transformation! Nice job.
  • km kane
    10 år siden
    I'm really loving black or near black cabinets - I'll be doing that in my new build. I'd probably add some glass doors when time and cash allow, but otherwise, FAB! Couple thoughts, are you removing a wood floor? Hope not!!! Also, re: backslash, you must remove the 4" piece - a backsplash on top of it looks like an afterthought otherwise, and do avoid those trendy mosaics. Black is a bit "hard", so a wood floor, and a creamy, open backsplash (subway is good with beadboard) would soften the look. Also, regarding the space above your sink. Consider adding a 4" deep shelf between the cabinets to break up what could be a plain expanse of backsplash tile. Good on ya!!
  • dbmyers
    10 år siden
    Looks great!!!
  • sally78
    10 år siden
    I think you made a terrific decorating decision and the outcome is spectacular!

Your decorating result is certainly very happy! Thanks for sharing the photos.
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    New floors should be finished by the end of the weekend. Prepare yourselves haha
  • Nicole Lee
    10 år siden
    wow, looks amazing!
  • fredm51
    10 år siden
    I am a woodworker and love wood but it really looks better done in black.
  • leaadams
    10 år siden
    Fabulous makeover. Can't wait to see the new backsplash and floors. I had the same cabinets, but opted to buy new ones from IKEA instead of painting. Wish I'd hired a painter instead of the contractor IKEA suggested.
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    10 år siden
    Looks awesome!
  • PRO
    DeVos Custom Woodworking
    10 år siden
    Nice change. When you do the backsplash, make the outlet covers out of the same material as the backsplash. That way, you will prevent wall acne, and your outlets will not be so noticeable.
  • ballyhoogirl
    10 år siden
    I am only getting the "before" picture! Would love to see the black. Could you re-post?
  • Tess Wakefield
    9 år siden
    I cannot see the black?
  • PRO
    Harmoni Designs + Build
    9 år siden
    Great update!
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 år siden
    Striking improvement!
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    So the floors have been redone. With the kitchen walls painted red, having the backslash that same color makes the look way too busy for my taste. I think the more muted stone backsplash, to blend in with the granite top, with help slow the area down a bit. More backsplash ideas to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Edit: See below
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    I also, included a picture of the space above the fireplace that we built out (the white frame will be painted black to better match the kitchen cabinets) It used to stop about 14" from the top of the fireplace, looking incredibly odd and awkward (what fireplaces have a flat top? If it's ventless, at least make it seem like there might be a chimney of sorts).
    I figured framing in that space would provide more storage space (after adding the custom, glass front cabinet) and help provide a breaking point between the kitchen and rest of the room.
  • Sandy Lynn
    9 år siden
    Where is your after pic?
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @babydoll6266, what do you mean? The one right above your comment?
  • beachlily
    9 år siden
    Very dramatic! Looks amazing!
  • K Cundiff
    9 år siden
    Beautiful! Might sand away some of the black to reveal the light color underneath, like on the edges, corners, just to break up all that very even black color.
  • heavenfire
    9 år siden
    Liberty 2001, clever idea.
  • cloudpants
    9 år siden
    Great update.... Well done!
  • cloudpants
    9 år siden
    I have sent an email to Houzz, as I can only see all the photos if I am on my PC, but not my Ipad - which is very frustrating. I think you are having the same problem, babydoll6266?
  • Littlewalty
    9 år siden
    I think you are doing a fantastic job, kitchen looks GREAT
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 år siden
    Wow, looks like a completely different kitchen!
  • PRO
    Cast Glass Images Inc.
    9 år siden
    The black color makes the appliances pop a bit more and it polishes the space nicely. Great job!
  • btrollinger
    9 år siden
    Amazing transformation! Great vision.
  • Linda Mullin
    9 år siden
    Much more mod!
  • PRO
    Designer Terri Robertson
    9 år siden
    Did the grain from the oak show thru the new finish? some people are trying to get rid of the grain but it is inherent to oak.
  • saltcitybabe
    9 år siden
    Terri, I had my basement kitchen cabinets painted white and the island black. I seriously liked having the oak grain visible. By the time they are sanded, primed, and painted the finish is surprisingly attractive.
  • Raquel Dillett
    9 år siden
    Love the change!!!
  • jseviertn
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    @Terri, yes, but it's not very noticeable on the black in most lighting. The brown colors show it much more pronounced and end up looking more 2D and like fake oak
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    9 år siden
    Stunning, love the black !
  • Julie Welch
    9 år siden
    Good job!
  • btrollinger
    9 år siden
    The after with floors is stunning!
  • marchfive
    9 år siden
    Wow, fantastic idea! It looks beautiful..
  • katearoni
    9 år siden
    I think this might have been the final push to get me to go with black for my kitchen cabinets
  • Donya Childers
    9 år siden
    OMG....love itttttt!!
  • PRO
    Talianko Design Group, LLC
    8 år siden

Wow, what a difference!

• PRO
    The High Road Design Studio, LLC
    8 år siden

What a change!

• Colleen Nolan
    8 år siden
    Looks great! How about a backsplash to finish it off.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.