mchenryarchitecture

Reinventing the Ranch

The existing house was a dated 1962 Split Level Ranch that has undergone a complete transformation to a modern livable residence for a growing family with high ceilings and an expanded upper level addition to the South. The new roof design is a switchback roof that expresses the overlapping levels while creating clerestory windows for increased daylighting and ventilation. The elevated addition can serve both as a carport and as a covered patio space that connects to the yard.

The design intent of this project was to create a dramatic and contemporary aesthetic on a modest budget that utilizes the function of the original spilt level home. The compact open concept living, dining, and kitchen area are enlightened with the expanded roof height and clerestory daylighting that maintain privacy while new openings selectively connect to the landscape at grade.

(68) kommentarer

• victorymomma
    10 år siden
    Ranch style does come in two story as well, big improvement.
  • Rosalie Cole
    10 år siden
    I also believe this is a tri-level
  • Robert L
    10 år siden
    Split, bi, multi, one story are all variations of the Ranch Style home. I have a quad-level ranch as defined by the original architect on the blue prints from the 1960's. Love the exterior remodel. Cant tell too much about the interior - need more pictures. Dont like the ultra white modern kitchen - some color and true modern styling would have looked better than what now looks to be a converted loft in an old sugar factory. The attached picture is the modern warmth I am thinking of.
  • Marrie Grady
    10 år siden
    I don't care what you want to call it, in my humble opinion it is ugly. Taking the garage out devalues the property. Over improving devalues as well.
  • Debi Murphy_Ernser
    10 år siden
    Not a modern girl, but this is really well done, and it has it's appeal to the right owner. I think you did an amazing job. Well done.
  • Deb Cappello
    10 år siden
    Is that a flat roof now?
  • kimcooper
    10 år siden
    We need more interior pictures! How can we tell anything from just one picture?!?!
  • Cheryl Lunetta
    10 år siden
    Too modern for my taste but it is gorgeous & a great look (much better than the old). Like the interior vs the exterior........again.......too modern for me.... I like stone work. I do like modern just not so much with an industrial look.
  • Melissa
    10 år siden
    In after, I don't get the space above the refrigerator. Looks like you can walk off the edge. Is that a hallway, or just empty space. Hard to tell from the picture. It looks unfinished.
  • PRO
    Alternascapes
    10 år siden
    Wow, great exterior transformation. But you kept the lame landscaping?!? What a shame.
  • PRO
    Rex Evans Construction
    10 år siden
    I thought flat roof was trouble?
  • Ola T
    10 år siden
    I LOVE the exterior work!!!
  • Debbie George
    10 år siden
    This one impresses me.
  • Steve Manning
    10 år siden
    Mind blowing- great work guys!
  • Clare Horvath
    10 år siden
    This was done on a "modest budget"?????
  • Holly Polich
    10 år siden
    color is everything.
  • Shirlyn Makar
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    That flat roof is a no-go ....
  • beachlady211
    10 år siden
    I love the redo..it has a slight Frank Lloyd Wright look to it. But...I would prefer the outside to be all one color/siding type. The middle wood would be perfect for the whole house. Don't chop it up the way it is now.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    10 år siden
    Quite a transformation. Interesting to see things a whole new way.
  • curraghgirl
    10 år siden
    WOW! Fantastic!!!
  • PRO
    Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
    10 år siden
    Very Different, I think the before picture looks like a Home, The after looks like Architecture!
    McHenry Architecture thanked Bay Area Design of the Berkshires
  • Emily Louise
    10 år siden
    This is not what I was expecting when I read "modest budget"... Would love to see a reno of a split-level ranch on an actually, realistically "modest budget".
  • babzie933
    10 år siden
    I think the new exterior is stunning!
  • David Quintana
    10 år siden
    Can somebody explain to me what is a contemporary style. This house looks like a fight between a modernist and a post modernist. One wants simple lines and good design but the other one adds accents and meaningful materials. I'm not criticizing this project. I really want to know what is the design guidelines the architect use to come up with this design. I see a lot of homes being build with this same principles and I don't understand them.
  • PRO
    Glamour Coach DECOR
    10 år siden
    Beautiful transformation!
  • saltcitybabe
    10 år siden
    In Utah, ranches are often called ramblers and the featured house would be called a multi-level by many. No one here argues about it. I think a single-car drive-under garage is better used as living space.....My humble opinion.
  • Cindy Scott
    10 år siden
    sorry... not a fan
  • INGRID HARRINGTON
    10 år siden
    I'm a California native so these split levels confuse me. Don't like it at all. It's a tear-down in my opinion. Plus the landscaping is hideous. Not inviting at all.
  • Amy Thompson
    10 år siden
    Would have added a garage, but it looks great!
  • saltcitybabe
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    Marie-Josee. Sitting behind a keyboard for too many hours seems to give one a sense of entitlement to be mean. Before Facebook, I had no idea how many petty mean spirited people have become design critic's. I would just love to have them post their dark, old-fashioned pink swag drapes and dusty rose carpet. I love to see fun funky ideas that people go with.
    McHenry Architecture thanked saltcitybabe
  • Shea Joy
    10 år siden
    Of course it's not to everyone's taste. I prefer comments that advance the discussion and stick to the topic. A ranch is, by definition in real estate listings and common usage, a single story house. It can have a basement below ground, but only one level above. Because the split level arose at much the same time in architectural history, it is sometimes called a split-level ranch. Not entirely accurately, however, as it necessarily has more than one level above ground. The split level is attributed to Frank Lloyd Wright, by inspiration. (I shudder to think what Wright made of that.) I have seen other photos of split levels that were reinvented, as they are not at all popular today. Going in the modern or contemporary direction, as in this case, seems the best option. The roof line, the windows, the carport--all are entirely appropriate to the style. Well done! Congrats to the homeowners! I would be happy to have this house neighboring mine. The garage door is no longer dominating the front view--now please hide those concrete steps!
    McHenry Architecture thanked Shea Joy
  • artisticgurl44
    10 år siden
    i so want a ranch house but everything on one level no stairs my house now has stairs but i've been here almost 20yrs. in the beginning i didn't have arthritis in both knees it's a chore going up and down the stairs........
  • Robin Seefahrt
    10 år siden
    I like ranches but not crazy about raised ranches or split levels.
  • saltcitybabe
    10 år siden
    Marie-Josee...YOU ROCK.
    I so love the Hickory floor in the subject house.
  • Marie-Josée
    10 år siden
    Well thank you saltcitybabe :) I just hate when people are rude for nothing !
  • plaidpony
    10 år siden
    LOVE!!
  • PRO
    McHenry Architecture
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Often times architecture is called to be provocative with varying degrees of appreciation. Our Ash Street Split project has been a contentious debate among neighbors and other social media sites with strong feelings in one direction or the other. We enjoy the thoughtful feedback... here are a few additional images of the interior and an alternate exterior shot that further describe the renovation. The initial design included a more daring color scheme that reflected the warmth of the entry door. The landscape and exterior entry stairs (among others) suffered from value engineering and are planned to be completed in the future. We will keep you posted as the project progresses with any further developments!
  • modfan
    10 år siden
    haha, isn't it great how polarizing modern design is? Marie-Josée, I wish I could "like" your McMansion comment more than just once. I guess we who don't see the world through beige-tinged glasses are a minority on this site =)
  • Marie-Josée
    10 år siden
    Yes modfan ! We seem to be rare lol !
  • PRO
    becca rea
    10 år siden
    I've never liked these kinds of houses
  • PRO
    Meg Blu Home
    10 år siden
    Love love love!!! I can't believe anyone would think the old house was better! While the new house still needs personal touches that come when homeowners move in or the house is staged its a remarkable transformation! Living in Los Angeles the carport would not bother me but I do understand that it can hurt the value to he w/o a dedicated garage and of course when it snows the homeowners may kick themselves for eliminating altogether. Overall though very well done work! Btw, what is a modest budget in New Hampshire? I know this varies by region...
  • pdk920
    8 år siden

I think this is very well done. Not my style but a good job. Again, I wish we would all offer opinions with thoughtfulness and respect; no need to accuse others of bad taste, or to make ageist comments.

• Melanie Poland
    8 år siden

I would prefer that the exterior be more cohesive. That being said, it's a big improvement over the original.

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    7 år siden

Beautiful work! Well done!

• Barbara Simpson
    7 år siden
    I love the interior!
  • Barbara Simpson
    7 år siden
    If I don't like someone's transformation ( which happens from time to time) I scroll past it. Sometimes it feels like people here are cyber bullies with the extremely rude comments. How about "Not my taste, but nice work"?
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    7 år siden

Nice comment Barbara and salacitybabe! I agree with you! I feel that constructive criticism is good, however, rude and negative comments should be kept to yourself.

• PRO
    Stecki Construction
    7 år siden

On a positive note! I like the new updated style! The kitchen with the wood floor is gorgeous! Love the contrasts of the exterior! Awesome work!

• User
    7 år siden

love the floor but to much white. Hate the exterior. Now its just a box.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.