slittlejohn

Bay window ideas

slittlejohn
10 år siden
In our 50-yr-old house, we removed a wall between the kitchen and den to create a larger and more open kitchen and keeping room concept. The breakfast nook used to be in a bay window, but we moved the kitchen table to the old "den" side of the room after the remodel. Now we can't figure out what to do with the bay window. We currently have a small bench there. Any ideas on what would look best in this space?

(19) kommentarer

• sally78
    10 år siden
    What about a custom (elevated to waist height) planter that would be exactly the right size and some real plants? A little herb garden indoors? Planter made with wood stained approximate color of your cabinets. Open design at the bottom (if you understand what I mean)….

Bay windows can be such a challenge. I don't think your bay window space is large enough for actual furniture--unless you want to try a larger bench… To me, a bench is awkward… Just filling in space, but not meaningfully...

Unfortunately, your bay window space is also too big to just leave empty… It needs something...

If you had big dogs, you could use that space as a feeding location with special doggie bowls on a floor mat….

Anyway, I think a custom planter of some kind is my best idea…. Maybe, someone else will come up with something better...

Your rooms are very attractive. Well done.

I'm sure you will figure something out that will work right for you and your house.

Happy Decorating.
    slittlejohn thanked sally78
  • glitznglamme
    10 år siden
    I agree you have a hard space to fill, however it needs something. I have attached a few ideas. Good luck:)
    slittlejohn thanked glitznglamme
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    10 år siden
    A kitchen desk or a table for a flower vase.
    slittlejohn thanked SoCal Contractor
  • PRO
    Macik Custom Woodworking & Contracting, LLC
    10 år siden
    What about a window seat?
    Window Seats · Mere information
    slittlejohn thanked Macik Custom Woodworking & Contracting, LLC
  • C Torres
    10 år siden
    Perfect spot for a window bench
    slittlejohn thanked C Torres
  • PRO
    slittlejohn thanked Barnhart Gallery
  • PRO
    D'amore IDS
    10 år siden
    I agree its a perfect spot for a window bench!
    slittlejohn thanked D'amore IDS
  • jgmaas
    10 år siden
    Place a chest with drawers in the space - use as extra storage and the top as display space for lamp, plant, photos, etc. A lamp on in the evening would provide nice ambient lighting
    slittlejohn thanked jgmaas
  • schuckelmaggie
    10 år siden
    What about a high top bistros table and chairs?
    slittlejohn thanked schuckelmaggie
  • Carol Johnson
    10 år siden
    A comfy chair & table, perfect for a cup of coffee, etc.
    slittlejohn thanked Carol Johnson
  • PRO
    Pacific Coastal Home Staging
    10 år siden
    Can you fit the extra dining room chairs in there?
    slittlejohn thanked Pacific Coastal Home Staging
  • slittlejohn
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I am amazed by this community! So many great ideas to consider. I went from completely stuck to plenty of options. Thank you all so much! I tried the suggestion of moving chairs and pulled in a small table from another room to see how that looks. I'm still trying to decide between this, an upholstered chair(s), a small desk, a bistro table, a window seat...
  • Brandi
    10 år siden
    You have a beautiful space! I vote window seat! Make the bottom open storage with books, recipe books, etc...
    slittlejohn thanked Brandi
  • Carol Johnson
    10 år siden
    A built in window seat won't work since your windows go almost to the floor. But the other options would depending on your biggest need; desk, sitting space, decorative accents....
    slittlejohn thanked Carol Johnson
  • pattikee
    10 år siden
    I say keep it a breakfast nook. It's always nice to sit by a window. 2 smaller chairs and a table.
    slittlejohn thanked pattikee
  • PRO
    Between the Seams, Inc.
    10 år siden
    Window treatments will add a lot interest to the bay window. A small writing desk with a chair might work in that space.
    slittlejohn thanked Between the Seams, Inc.
  • Marianne Scoggin
    10 år siden
    Looks like you need the light the bay windows let into the room, so I wouldn't build a traditional window seat for this bay.You already have stools at the counter. Doesn't look like you need more storage. Only new idea I can think of is if you could use a desk or plant shelf, build it from plexiglass or heavy glass to let light shine through it. Supports would be between the windows and on the right and left where there is a small amount of wall surface. Recessed, downward lighting in the ceiling would make this area a focal point at night and provide light for a plexi shelf-desk surface. I tend to like cloth Roman shades in bays.
    slittlejohn thanked Marianne Scoggin
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.