tessybear100

Ideas for a tiny garden

tessybear100
10 år siden
We are downsizing from a 4 bed detached house to a 4 bed townhouse. We are going from a big garden to a tiny one ( although we will have a large park right opposite). Any ideas as to what we can do with this garden? My husbands hobbies are golf and and cooking but he hates gardening so it would have to be something that requires the minimum of effort. He has already decided to replace the lawn with artificial turf and the rest of the garden is up to me!

(52) kommentarer

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 år siden
    Hi tessy I do agree it is awkward but paving will mean you have to weed in between and in the uk they tend to get dirty quite quickly. That is why I was trying to maximise your awkward shape and play with perspective lines. Perhaps ask a local landscape Gardner to give it a look over. They can provide you with a plan ... And you pay then for a plan only. But they are trained in this type of challenge!
  • tessybear100
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Yes you are right about patios in UK. I will get a garden landscaper in, I just wanted a vague idea first of what I wanted. Thanks for your advice.
  • Victoria
    10 år siden
    Can you remove the fence? Does it separate your garden from your neighbours? Normal practice in the UK is that one fence belongs to you, one to your neighbour. "Usually" you own the one to your right as you look out, check your plans , it will be marked with an inverted T pointing into your garden if it's your fence.

Love ASV's ideas. I'd consider changing the railing separating the lawn from the patio too. Also you could tile the paved area for a more contemporary look.
    tessybear100 thanked Victoria
  • tessybear100
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Yes there are neighbours either side. We own the fence on the right but can't remove either as we have a small dog! Not sure what you mean by tiles on the paved area?
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I have been trying to find a link I posted a while back for another dilemma about playing with perspective in a garden. The other thought I had would be for you to purchase from The Plastic People a wall of mirrored perspex to visually double your garden space. It is not that expensive, but will bring in more light and open up your triangle in an interesting way. (Boy would I love to do this garden!)This is the idea I am thinking about - it looks lovely in the summer and gorgeous in the winter.
    Saratoga Creek House · Mere information
  • Victoria
    10 år siden
    Use exterior floor tiles instead of paving slabs on the floor, you then have less of a problem with weed control.

http://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/category/external-tiles/?gclid=cjp1ro250l0cfzdktaod-tsaoa
  • rinked
    10 år siden
    Remove the fence in the front, add tiles so you can sit on the ledge. Add a border of rosemary (makes a nice smelling hedge!) or lavender, some bulbs inbetween (iris, tulip). Rhodondendron, for it stays green in winter. Maybe a climber on the fence in the back. Either true grass or fake, because it makes a nice patch to sit on a lounge pillow in summer and it's perfect for a small dog to play on. I hope you like the idea.
  • tessybear100
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Oh yes I love it and I'm very fond of lavender!
  • tessybear100
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I really like the idea of the external tiles too and thanks for the website.
  • inkwitch
    10 år siden
    A small area can be a blessing, and container gardening relieves you fere from mowing. Artificial turf is so -- well, excuse my bluntness, but it's tacky. And ugly. And if your small dog pees on it, will smell. Assuming you will be walking the dog in the park, but there will be days when you will not want to do that (snow? downpour? cold?).

Recommend removing the grass in favor of pavers similar to the existing patio, a water feature, and large containers in the upper section. (This also prevents your dog from digging under the fence!) Lower section can definitely be an outdoor entertaining space with a grill, seating, even a loggia if it gets a lot of sun.

Advise searching houzz for ideas and take your time about deciding. This space has a lot of potential. You'll find something you just love.
  • inkwitch
    10 år siden
    An Indoor & Outdoor Oasis · Mere information
  • inkwitch
    10 år siden
    Small city garden · Mere information
  • tessybear100
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    I'm so glad you think it has potential I was thinking it was a bit of an eyesore! I feel much more optimistic now!
  • inkwitch
    10 år siden
    Bruce's Garden · Mere information
  • inkwitch
    10 år siden
    It will be pretty much what you make of it. With imagination, it could end up being your favorite space! You are fortunate that you don't have to tear down anything!
  • ispoildogs
    10 år siden
    Some inspiration:
    Extreme Makeover in San Diego · Mere information
  • Luciana
    10 år siden
    More inspiration photos for you (UK gardens).

You obviously don't have the space for any of those, but you can borrow design elements - a smaller turf circle, or a triangular pergola at the back, triangular or semicircle raised beds, etc.

Also, have a look at this ideabook: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/12-ways-to-make-better-use-of-yard-corners-stsetivw-vs~5319158
  • Victoria
    10 år siden
    Love the idea book. Good find!
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    10 år siden
    I think a circular area of lawn or turf (your choice) in the front with screening plants or raised beds along the walls. I'd plant a small flowering tree in that back corner to disguise the awkward shape and perhaps some trellises with climbing plants along the fence. Play with the triangular shape and perspective like they did in this garden pictured:
  • PRO
    User
    9 år siden
    Hi Tessy,

Looking at the picture of your garden, I think it would be appropriate to install a rolling bench.
    As you mentioned in your previous post, your husband loves to cook. Because you have limited space, you need furniture like the rolling bench that will offer you enough versatility. For example, you could enjoy sitting on the rolling bench around your BBQ, while eating or drinking a cup of tea.

Please find below a link to the website. Let me know what you think about it.

http://www.rollingbenches.com/

Best,

Amelie
  • PRO
    Christmas Lights, Etc
    9 år siden
    Patio lights can be hung in the small space and really add some ambiance to the area. With such a small space, only a few lights can make a big difference! http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/pages/Outdoor-Patio-Lighting-Ideas.htm

A stone walkway that divides the small yard and allows for a little flower or plant garden, and a small cafe table or bench can make your yard feel like a secluded park space.
  • ambersarris
    9 år siden
    Definitely add seating and a fire pit, or something useable in the garden. Otherwise it will end up a dead space that no-one ever ventures into. Enhance the angular shape by making use of diagonally placed rectangles (this will make the garden seem longer).
    The patio lights idea is great, they always make a space look more inviting.

[houzz=
    Mid-Century Modern · Mere information
    ]
    [houzz=
    Chicago Landscape Lighting · Mere information
    ]
  • kaatc
    9 år siden
    I agree with the small tree idea in the angled corner. I also agree with putting in a bench or seating area, too, although perhaps not as grand as some of the photos? Maybe with a paver/stone pathway through it to a bench or a couple of chairs. Dump the turf/grass altogether and throw in some flowering bushes (Viburnum carlesii "Diana" has the most wonderful scent) and some low-maintenance plants on either side of the pathway. What kind of sun do you have here? If its morning or late afternoon (but not mid-day), I'd consider some sun-tolerant hostas or heuchera/tiarella (which are essentially no maintenance at all and grow relatively quickly), or maybe some bleeding hearts for a little contrast. You can surf around for some great pictures of hosta gardens/beds. If you get more sun, consider daylilies or butterfly bush or bee balm? Consider a pathway or area with curves, which is a bit more soothing than straight angles (also harder to maintain in a garden).
  • Geneviève
    9 år siden
    Looking at your picture I felt that I was taken back to my childhood , we had a court yard and steps going into the garden too:) my father planted everything there from Leeks,to Peonies and roses on the front edge, then there were a couple rows of strawberries and Rhubarb and there was even a narrow trail of crushed stones to walk all around the perimeter and a Lilac shrub at the end on it yard . Yes it takes a lot of work ,but if you can do it its rewarding , .I just took pictures from our after the rain front lawn ,its postage stamp size , here it is .
  • Nancy Cooper
    9 år siden
    How did your poppies survive the rain? Mine went to ground in heavy rains in Ottawa. I love pavers with pots you can move to catchmore sun, and vines against the fence...
  • Nancy Cooper
    9 år siden
    Try flowers that stay compact and don't take too much space...eg charlies speedwell, which is a creeper, versus flax, which needs more room.
  • tessybear100
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Just thought I'd add a photo to show what I have done to my new garden. We have had the artificial grass put down which we are thrilled with.
  • Luciana
    9 år siden
    It looks wonderful! I'm sure you'd be spending a lot of time out there. Great job!
  • PRO
    Soothing Company
    9 år siden
    A water fountain might help beautify your small garden. Check out more at http://www.soothingcompany.com/water-fountains/outdoor-fountains.html

Acanthus Two Tiered Garden Fountain · Mere information

Acorn Garden Fountain · Mere information

Amalfi Two Tier Garden Fountain · Mere information

Barocco Garden Fountain · Mere information
  • PRO
    Primrose
    9 år siden
    A Birdbath, water feature or even an illusion mirror would fit in real nice :) Have a look at our range and see if there is anything to your fancy.
  • silyab53
    9 år siden
    Absolutely with you on Artificial Grass which I'm having installed asap, but I'm also having a patio area away from my main lawn in GREY, which ties in with a horizontal row of grey bricks in my redbrick Victorian house.
    Was bowled over to discover this coloured grass - anyone fancy PINK??? Good luck, and do remove the fence. Topiary could be an option - I have five cone shaped bushes in my front garden - 1 large in the middle and 4 smaller around it, a diamond shape of old Victorian bricks around the large one, all in-filled with shingle. I've had so many favourable comments!
  • PRO
    Primrose
    9 år siden
    What is your take on animal topiary as opposed to tradtional topiary? It reminds me of Night at The Museum somehow :)

Topiary Deer With Moss Filling · Mere information

Topiary Dog Cavalier sitting With Moss Filling · Mere information
  • PRO
    Direct Trade Supplies
    9 år siden
    Hi,

You still have a nice amount of room to work with!

Have you thought about implementing any garden lighting? The steps could benefit from some ground lights, for basic visibility at night time. There's also other options for garden lighting such as spike lights, bollards or even a wall light beside the steps.

Here's some examples which we could provide should you be interested in garden lights ->
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Direct Trade Supplies
    9 år siden
    I've just seen your up to date picture! Your garden looks lovely. I hope the seating area is a beautiful sun trap!
  • PRO
    Jane Harries Garden Designs
    8 år siden

Looks like you will enjoy your outdoor space! The seating area looks very inviting. To mask the irregular shape of the upper area, I would put some more plants up there - they are very useful to blur lines and will give you something to look at in the winter. How about the grasses someone else mentioned? Eg pampas grass? You can get smaller versions of that plant. And some climbing plants or a small tree, so the fence is broken up a bit? Grasses don't take a lot of maintenance and you could limit them to the far corner if you wanted. Hope you enjoy using it anyway.

• Sven
    8 år siden

"Normal practice in the UK is that one fence belongs to you, one to
    your neighbour. "Usually" you own the one to your right as you look
    out, check your plans , it will be marked with an inverted T pointing into your
    garden if it's your fence."

That is incorrect advice. There is no UK practice considering there are 3
    different legal systems, ownership and maintenance (which can be different)
    depends on what it says in the deeds and location of the fence (which can be shared or owned by one property). The quickest way to permanently
    destroy your relationship with neighbours is to change boundary features without consulting them, esp
    as they may solely belong to them. To say that someone owns something due to
    'practice' is dangerous.

In the picture above, as it is a new estate, it is likely that the fences
    are boundary fences and equally shared between neighbours but check. So either can
    paint or grow things up it. If in doubt check the legal pack.

• Victoria
    8 år siden
    Which is what I said, check your plans, it will be marked with an inverted T if it's your responsibility.
  • PRO
    Nandina Gardens Ltd
    8 år siden

Lovely job....

Im also based in Surrey, please feel free to give me a call if you would like any further plant/ designs ideas etc. Hopefully you have enjoyed it with the wild winter we are having!?

• PRO
    Firewok
    8 år siden

We've got some great products that would look good in your garden. http://www.firewok.co.uk/

• PRO
    Lanhydrock Garden Services
    8 år siden

I would definately recommend hiring a professional for your Artificial turf.

• PRO
    Orchestrate
    8 år siden

Personally I think the grass, yellow bricks and the fence are a bit too uninspiring. How about trying to break it up a bit - thin beds with climbers against fence and extra beds / pots / paths to add different levels. Think of cakes on a cake stand, the more levels, the better it looks. Red cedar slatted fence to replace the existing, trailing plants over the walls. Talk to a good gardener to talk about the right plants for their position and also consider doing a watering system to make it super low maintenance (they don't cost the earth).

Good luck with it - post some photos of the project!

• PRO
    Gardens of Smiles
    8 år siden

tiny gardens can house big ideas, let your imagination run wild! your garden looks great by the way, hope its giving you lots of smiles! :)

• steve3122
    7 år siden

Have a look at ELementi fires

a lerge range of gas fire pits well built cosy and very sociable

Also try ARdosia slate for a range of slate and lime stoner paving

• PRO
    IQ Furniture
    6 år siden

Globo light

Lyze chairs and table

Quadra planters
    Y-Pot

IQ Furniture: Outdoor

Given that you have a park near your home in the city and a small courtyard, I would suggest to choose a metropolitan-industrial style. A couple of chairs with a table to have breakfast on sunny days or have a summer dinners. Using planters and lights to make an unique outdoor space. These are just few options from our wide outdoor range.

Please email me on angeles@texogroup.com and I will provide you with further options along with prices. In the meantime browse our website www.iqfurniture.co.uk

Regards,

Angeles

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    6 år siden

Hi

Here are a few ideas. Is it an option to level out the two tiers?

Could use astro turf rather than grass or do without as the last picture demonstrates.

Would like to see the finished look you go for!
    Shannon

• Jonathan
    6 år siden
    Shannon- you should look at the post from August 2014 to see the final look
  • PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    6 år siden

Thank you Jonathan, it came up an hour or so ago so I thought it was 'live'. Note to self, check dates! :)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.