pschall

Should I paint a knotty pine dining room

pschall
10 år siden
After years of darkness, I am thinking of lightening it up. I need help. Should I paint a light ivory, light green color, or white wash. It would be too difficult to paint the ceiling.

(38) kommentarer

• Emily H
    10 år siden
    I love the look of painted paneling. I'd go light ivory, if it were me. I want to see after pics!
  • efedyk
    10 år siden
    Your home is looks beautiful. I think a light ivory is a classic choice.
  • PRO
    HGS INTERIORS
    10 år siden
    Yep but after awhile all the Knot telegraphing and you will have yellow spots.
  • PRO
    Skiby & Sons
    10 år siden
    It looks at if it is sealed, You may be able to get away with scuffing it up and painting over it. Not sure what knot telegraphing is, but bleed through can be a great look.
  • PRO
    Dawn D. Totty Interior DESIGNS
    10 år siden
    Hello pschall, Wide board paneling is such a fine design feature, a good primer with 2-3 coats of paint, will do the trick as to the shade of white, if you are near water, brighter whites work very well, here are a couple of picks of a Design project I completed on the Chesapeake Bay
  • PRO
    Dawn D. Totty Interior DESIGNS
    10 år siden
    From dark & outdated, to bright & updated !
  • edithsmom
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    If this were my room? (oh, lusting in my heart for this room as is), I would paint the walls the soft white/ivory suggested, but NOT the panelling over the stone fireplace.
  • PRO
    CO Interiors
    10 år siden
    I love the look of white wash, but that doesn't always work with older boards. What happens over time, is the boards tend to become darker in areas where they were exposed to natural light. If you remove a picture that was hanging in the same spot for a long time, you would notice a colour difference. It would look like an imprint on the walls. You would need to do major sanding which is a big job. With proper prime and paint, the space with instantly feel larger. A light ivory on the walls will make it feel much brighter. The ceilings don't seem very high and typically when you have light walls and a dark ceiling with low height, the ceiling appears heavy and makes it seem even lower. If you can, I would paint the ceiling the light green for a bit of charm and nod to nature.
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    you could do what we call a loose graining. This creates soft light feeling atmosphere in the room.
  • Sophia Walcott
    10 år siden
    I am certainly no expert, but a few years ago unconvinced hubby to let me paint our knotty pine wainscoting. Lol

I loved it and I wish I had done it sooner. :)
    sooner!!
  • susanb92
    10 år siden
    I like the wood. What about lightening up your furniture?
  • gennis2537
    10 år siden
    Why would you want to cover up something so beautiful as natural wood. It has character and the older it gets the more character it gets. Change the furniture, add some lights or move out and leave the wood to someone who can appreciate it.
  • gennis2537
    10 år siden
    How about some light color stone flooring to cut down on the amount of wood.
  • northsylvania
    10 år siden
    If the panneling is light and the ceiling dark, it will seem oppressive. Rent rolling scaffolding and painting the ceiling won't be a problem.
  • Ania Mlodzianowska
    10 år siden
    A year ago I re painted old pine. Initially sanded, put undercoat and one coat of paint until I discovered chalk paint, wipe clean abd paint two coats abd it's beautiful. Wax if you wish.
    No knots have come through. Did it in off white. Friends have all commented very positively. Good luck
  • lizzysloves
    10 år siden
    I think the white wash is beautiful and cozy, will look pretty with the furniture you have. And Niusia is correct - chalk paint is the way to go.
  • PRO
    Sarlat Properties
    10 år siden
    I agree with the other comment your house is beautiful with the old wood. Selling it might be an option. But if you love your house and don't want to sell it. I would recommend white washing the ceiling and leaving the walls wood. This will brighten it up and the white wash will allow the knots to bleed through. I am building a new place and that's what I have done. If you want to see pictures let me k,now and I will send them to you. Good luck with your project! rene@sarlatproperties.com
    pschall thanked Sarlat Properties
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    I agree with selling and shopping for what you really want.... But, if that is not an option, whitewash it. It is a cozy place, be sure to whitewash the ceilings too.
  • laurielynne
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    It is interesting to see the various camps - wood likers and wood painters! I live in the middle of the Canadian Shield, surrounded by forests and trees, so consequently wood is pretty common. I certainly appreciate wood, but it is ubiquitous here and not special in the least and I am really not fond of the all encompassing wood look. I think painting it and leaving the ceiling natural would be beautiful (you can search that look here on houzz under "wood ceiling" -some really beautiful examples come up ) and lighten and brighten your space. If you decide to do so, you can buy a product to dab on the knots (ask your paint dealer) so that it doesn't bleed thru your paint. Have fun!
  • Cheryl Biermann
    10 år siden
    You could use a white or ivory or cream colored stain, then add layers, with stain, some of the knots, ecetera, are still visible for bright but still rustic feel. You might also just lightly sand them, sometimes the wood may have darkened so slowly that wih sanding you'll acheive the tone you like. I've found polycoat o be nice for wood walls as is doesn't darken the wood as much, is very low smelling, dries quick and leaves a matt shine.
  • Libbmom
    10 år siden
    Looks like you have upper white cabinets...why don you start with the island with white washing or pickling...if you don't like you can paint...might give you more of idea what you want.
  • PRO
    Felt The Fluff
    10 år siden
    I would give the wood a good cleaning (not to say that it is dirty) and leave it be! Perhaps lighter accents and furniture instead. Natural wood is so beautiful to me.
  • TAG
    10 år siden
    Obviously, painting will dramatically change the space ... permanently. I like painted paneling ..... I had a shore house with painted paneled walls and ceiling ... bit more crude/ rustic then your space ... and I painted a 50's basement with great results. I would suggest you paint some cardboard and place it beside various furniture and spots around the room ... also ... cut some into strips mimicking the boards ... hang the strips together ... this way you will see the shadow lines the wood paneling will give at a distance after it is painted. You may find that a darker color will work better.

Whatever you do ... prepping is extremely important .... done incorrectly the knots will bleed through.
  • PRO
    Urban Elements PDX
    10 år siden
    Depending on the look you are going for will determine which color your are going to pick. Personally I think from what you already have going on that the white wash would better suit your style.
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    10 år siden
    Definitely go white, it will look so much more fresh and spacious in your home! Lovely
  • PRO
    Through the Woods Fine Wood Floors, Inc.
    10 år siden
    Yes, white would be lovely with your dark furniture.
  • grobby
    10 år siden
    By all means, paint, it will make such a difference. I think we've been conditioned to never paint wood or paneling. You have nice furnishings and a big room. I think you'll be pleased. Show us an after pic, please.
  • ttmgt
    6 år siden

1940- fireplace, dark wainscot, pine kitchen cabinets! Work around, paint Please check out title and commment! Thank you.

• Ania Mlodzianowska
    6 år siden
    Try using Annie Sloane’s chalk paint. It requires a good wash , no need for sanding. It will cover everything beautifully - no knots, no turning yellow. I’d go fir antique white or some white shade.
  • R M
    6 år siden
    Please go white! We bought a beach house with knotty pine....hated how dark it was. My painter, primed, caulked the vertical lines and painted...all Benjamin Moore products.
    We eventually expanded, and the rest of the downstairs is dry wall...the paneled area is my favorite. The fireplace was also done...ugly dark red brick...see photo.
  • R M
    6 år siden
    One more comment....in your case, because of the hardwood floors, I would do a nice creamy color...to paint the panels. I used BM taffy white, but have carpet in that room.
  • lmfi
    6 år siden

No painting. The rooms is beautiful as it is.

• jbtanyderi
    6 år siden
    What would really help is a large, light-coloured Indian rug Andre the table and chairs (large enough so that all chair legs are on it when people are seated).
  • jbtanyderi
    6 år siden
    Farrow and Ball’s BORROWED LIGHT would be perfect for the ceiling. Leave the walls as they are.
  • felizlady
    6 år siden
    Consider hiring a pro who regularly paints wood to do the painting... he/she will know how to deal with knotty pine. Ask your friends if they have a painter they like and trust. I would go to the local paint store for references if your friends don't have preferred painters to recommend.
  • eedeegan
    6 år siden

Paint! I am so happy I painted my paneling.

• Snaggy
    6 år siden

4 year old post

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.