2wiseguys

Struggling choosing kitchen cabinets Help!!!!!

Barb Wise
10 år siden
We are redoing our kitchen from 1994. The soffits, oak cabinets, lighting, counters, and flooring will be replaced. I am having a difficult time finding a cabinet stain that will work with our light oak trim. My husband will not ever agree to paint it. We are going with a Shaker door in cherry. Our KD suggested a fairly dark brown stain that we feel will be too dark and too sharp of a contrast to our window and door trim. I see so many white kitchens, but it is really not want we want. We are going with either Medallian or Dura Supreme cabininets. Help!!!

(24) kommentarer

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 år siden
    What is going on elsewhere in the house. It looks a little dated. I would paint those cabinets, change the light fixture, and the countertops... Save the cabinet money for other inprovements.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 år siden
    Agreed, paint would be an economical option for updates.
  • PRO
    Liza Jane Interiors
    10 år siden
    I agree with your kitchen designer and I would go darker than the trim. Stay away from stains with a red hue. Go for more of a true brown.
  • Dottie Griffith
    10 år siden
    I agree go with dark cabinets and paint the walls in a nice blue gray. If you keep the flooring and the backsplash tile the dark will add a nice contrast. Loose the over head light if you can task lights are much better.
  • PRO
    Duncan's Creative Kitchens
    10 år siden
    I think Liza Jane hit on it - stay away from the red hues. You can find brown tones that aren't too dark. The key is Intentional Contrast.

Another thought might be to add tile backsplash all around the window to create a color buffer between the existing oak trim and the new cherry cabinets.

Thought #3 is to replace the trim in just the kitchen to match the new cabinets. You could change just the crucial parts - in the photo, that would be the sink window and the door trim to the left of the range. Both lines should have options available for that.
  • PRO
    CQC Home
    10 år siden
    I too agree with your designer. Going darker will look better with your light oak trim. I believe that going brown and not red is also the way to go. If on a budget, you could strip your current cabinets and stain a darker stain yourself.

But if you have the money and time off work would be an issue, than hire a professional to help with the purchase and install. I say to help with both, two reasons. 1.) this makes the contractor responsible for the materials. Should the arrive broken you won't have to deal with having to figure out when and how you will send it back etc. Leave that stress for someone else. 2.) the install should be done by a professional only if you want to make sure that they are attached correctly and should something happen during the install (scratches etc) again you are not responsible and the stress of correcting the situation falls to someone else.

I would keep the tile and flooring light as to not darken up the space. But with so much light coming from the bay window I believe that you will be fine :) Best of luck - can't wait for the after pictures.
  • backsplashideas
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    I think that changing out the trim if needed once you decide what color you like with the cabinets would be the best idea. Once you get the cabinets in, or if you choose to paint them and do not like the way they look with the trim, change out the trim. The brown hue cabinets would look nice, a true brown. You could also update the backsplash then to develop a contrast between the darker cabinets and the backsplash. This way it may brighten up the room a bit. Our Sage 3''x6'' glass tiles would be a beautiful contrast, or possibly some of our other designs.
  • Barb Wise
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks for the input. Going blue gray isn't going to work. I have lots of gold and rust in the adjoining family room. Also dark brown couches. Here is the cherry door she suggested. What you are seeing is the same door - the lighter door is new. The darker door is several years old. The cabinets will be 36 inches tall with a double stack of crown molding (6 inch total) to hide the 18 foot plumbing run on one side. I feel that if we go that dark on 3 sides of a 14 x 13 kitchen that it will be too dark.
  • Barb Wise
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Also, painting just the trim in the kitchen will not work because it is open to the family room. It would have to be an all or none sort of deal for the house.
  • Barb Wise
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Right now I am waiting on another Medallian door - cherry with pecan stain
  • PRO
    Duncan's Creative Kitchens
    10 år siden
    If you stay with light floors and a light counter (like the Medallion photos), I don't think there is any risk of it looking too dark. I think you are on the right track.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    There are very good paints on market. That are made for cabinets. They won't chip. A white would work. Then use money for counter tops. That will change your whole look for the better. Take color from counters for wall and backsplash. If going a more modern look use brush nickel pulls in cabs.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    Extend granite on island out 18" so you can add bar stools. Lighting very important. Go can lights. If not in budget, track lighting in stainless from Ikea is great and not expensive. Ck them for all your needs. They measure and Install now.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    Loss the red blinds and valance. Very dated. Lowes sells pleated shades go white. Get new chairs for table those oak ones are dated. No oak anywhere.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    For chairs try Pier One for high back leather in a color. Flooring is not good. Are you thinking tile or wood?
  • Barb Wise
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Did the cabinets darken as much as the door on the right that I have pictured above? (April 17)
  • starterhouse
    10 år siden
    They have only been in for a year. I have not noticed a significant change.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    9 år siden
    Dura Supreme can also create a custom stain, if you know what you want and you can't find it... we can still make it. We send out a sample and make sure we matched what you want before placing the order. We can do this with all of our finish types.
  • PRO
    Mean Design
    9 år siden
    yikes. oak and cherry... not great looking together. when faced with mixing woods, my rule is if you can avoid it, do, and just change the stain, so you don't have a lot of the same look. In your space I would've recommended getting oak cabinets in a dark finish.
  • Barb Wise
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Actually, we have decided to go with white shaker cabinets and a dark brown cherry island.
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    9 år siden
    Here's a great example of how to mix woods, if you are going to go with it you will want a designer who can mix them with style...
    Mix it Up - Rustic Country · Mere information

• diyer59
    9 år siden
    If you can't find a stain, paint, hubby will just have to bite the bullet. You can save a lot of money painting instead of replacing. I painted my cabinets and am very happy with the results. Do it right, sand, prime, sand, paint. Painted cabinets are very popular right now. I'd never put in a dark stained cabinet, makes the room look smaller.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 år siden
    Sounds like a good choice. The white cabs with the dark island will give you the drama you were looking for without darkening your kitchen. It sounds like the "mixing" woods was too much! Which it would have been. Glad you have found a solution. Post photos when done!
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.