belleandlucy

Mulch alternative ideas

Michelle
10 år siden
sidst ændret:10 år siden
I have 4 front flower beds that I mulch in the spring. Since living in the home, I learned that the neighbor feeds all the animals,so my mulch beds look awful from these critters. The squirrels dig and make a mess, sometimes they will eat the flowers in the pots as well. I have tried to reason with the neighbor but he will not stop feeding the squirrels and other critters. I was out doing yard work today and realized that there must be something other than mulch to use and would look nice in hopes this would stop the critters from digging. Also I am just throwing money away just to make it look nice and the next day, it looks like the squirrels had a party.
Any ideas? Even thought about just turning the small front yard into a field of wildflowers and do away with the mulch. Need some input, I don't want to use chemicals so that is out for options.

(4) kommentarer

• Libbmom
    10 år siden
    There is a rubber mulch that I have just recently discovered...not sure how critters take to it...it is more expensive but I understand it holds the color for several years...sprinkle with red pepper...squirrels don't like it...does not bother birds...
  • PRO
    Direct Rubber Mulch
    9 år siden
    Critters are less likely to dig into rubber mulch because insects are less likely to stay within rubber mulch, which for some critters is their food source. Rubber mulch is also good against the home structure as you would be using here because it can be a termite deterrent unlike wood mood which attracts termites.
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    9 år siden
    So do away with the need to mulch. In other words, mulch is not a groundcover - plant groundcovers, and/or plant with greater density (with appropriate plants of course) so that the beds are filled with foliage, not mulch. The added benefits are no mulch for critters to dig in, no mulch to replace every year, and the denser plantings will help suppress weeds. Basically it looks 1000x better and is a fraction of the work than having plants adrift in a sea of mulch.

I do need to address the claim that wood mulches attract termites. I'll put it succinctly the way Colonel Potter would: horsefeathers, and the research demonstrates that. Excerpted from a literature review by horticulture professor Dr Linda Chalker-Scott: "A common concern is whether wood-based mulches are attractive to termites. There have been specific studies targeting this question with sometimes surprising results. One recent study compared subterranean termite (Reticulitermes virginicus) activity underneath both organic (bark and wood) and inorganic (gravel) mulches. The greatest termite activity was found beneath the gravel mulch. Not only were the wood and bark mulches unappealing to termites, but when fed a diet of these materials in the lab they suffered increased mortality. These results are partially explained by an earlier study, which found that termitespreferred mulches with higher nitrogen and phosphorus content.Martin and Poultney confirm this in a study demonstrating termite partiality for banana mulch, a relatively nutrient-rich material. Therefore, in regions where subterranean termites are potential pests, organic mulches should be selected that are low in nutrients."

So if the greatest termite activity is under gravel mulch, which absorbs and retains heat, does not decay, and does not offer a food source, what can we assume about rubber mulch - which has the same properties?

Look, if you like red-dyed ground-up Goodyears next to your petunias, don't let me stop you. But it's not factually correct to say they're better in terms of insect issues, and if I'm going to mulch I want something that breaks down over time because that's improving my soil while I do something else. Which I think is awesome.
  • PRO
    Colwynn Garden Design
    5 år siden

I have had a lot of success using chicken wire, laid down over the mulch. Critters wont ding into your mulch anymore. Start planting some spreading groundcover and then eventually remove the wire once the ground is covered with plants.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.