jenniferagarcia

Ideas on decorating the "media room" in my new house!

Jennifer Garcia
10 år siden
Hi, I'm in a major rut when it comes to this room, I just don't know what to do. I find myself liking various styles in home decor and feel like I need to combine them all, but sometimes it just doesn't work.

I've attached a photo of the painting I bought a long time ago, I loved it but because it has so many various colours in it, I need some ideas on coming up with a colour scheme for the room.

I would also like some ideas on how to better coordinate the items and frames in the wall unit.
Keep in mind, the room is extremely narrow, but it does have 10 foot ceillings which is great, but there's not much room for extra furniture in it.

Any ideas are appreciated :)

Thanks,
Jennifer

(10) kommentarer

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    10 år siden
    I love the painting but it needs to be hung much lower, I would for sure rework the shelves like Rina suggested, myself I would even remove more items I find that wall a little too busy with the T.V. too. I would remove the vase all together it would make me feel like it is in the way when watching T.V. The floor lamp is way too small and also gives very poor light. I would change the coffee table to something more like the wall unit and the lamp could be a bit more modern also. Something like this would give a lot more light. and be a better size.
  • Jennifer Garcia
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Wow, thank you for the suggestions, some really good ideas here. I would of never thought to arrange the frames like that but it does make it feel more balanced. Especially with the metallic items on either end.

Patricia, I had my doubts about the height of the painting also good to know I was right in thinking it was hung too high. As a rule of thumb, how far from the couch should the bottom be hanging? And I definitely agree with the lamp, it's something I had gotten from people who were throwing it out, that and the coffee table (which I think it's too large for the space anyway). The only source of light comes from the windows, would you suggest buying two matching floor lamps and putting them on either end of the couch or wall unit even?

Thanks!
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    can the autistic guitar get hung up as well?
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    this is how i would deco your tv area
  • PRO
    User
    10 år siden
    you need two new types of lighting in this room. two floor or table reading lamps, that will eliminate some of the glare into your tv. and a touchier lamp on the far side of the console to give general room light. i would get to little ottomans in place of table. and roman shades for the windows.
  • Jennifer Garcia
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I really like the look of the shades. I will begin to look at some lighting options as well.
  • PRO
    Switch Lighting & Design
    10 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}10 år siden
    This lamp would be lovely!
    Galilea · Mere information
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 år siden
    Some "rules of thumb" to help you out:
    ART 5-5-75 = Center point of art hung alone at 5' above the floor, if over furniture, bottom frame 5" above the furniture, and try to keep the size of the art within 75% of the furniture's width. this is usually a safe formula to use if you want to achieve balance.
    SHELVES Style shelves with 1/3 books, 1/3 decor items, 1/3 open space. With your shelves I'd feature a collection with one piece per shelf. Are they lighted? Do so if not.
    Clay Street · Mere information
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.