phil_boyd

Bathroom remodel - professional results on the cheap

Phil Boyd
10 år siden
sidst ændret:10 år siden
I just finished remodeling my bathrooms, i posted pictures of just one of them, but the design was the same for both.

i went from a horrible 1970s style (yellow laminate, white walls, wall paper, generic lighting), to professional modern results while spending relatively little money.

i kept the countertop and just re-laminated it with Wilson-Art high end laminate.
i kept the cabinet and saved $1000 by just re-laminating it with Wilson-Art wood look alike laminate.
i sprayed knockdown texture on the walls, primed, painted walls
i added new modern style doors and trim, some wall mounted lighting, and a nice split face tile backsplash, a new matching medicine cabinet, and the look was complete.

costs
new granite looking laminate for countertop - 50 (cost split between 2 bathrooms)
new wood looking laminate for cabinets - 50 (cost split between 2 bathrooms)
new doors from home depot - 65+65
knockdown texture - 13
primer - 8 (cost split between 2 bathrooms)
paint - 8 (cost split between 2 bathrooms)
new bronze designer faucet - $80 at home depot
bronze handle/door pulls - $20 off ebay
new bronze/wood look mirror - $30 from big lots
medicine cabinet - $65 from lowes
bronze towel ring - $15 from ebay
wall mounted lights - $40 from home depot
split face tile back-splash - $150 from homedepot
mortar for back-splash - $15 from homedepot

total cost for materials = $638. one week to complete, but will need some tools!

(17) kommentarer

• catz1
    10 år siden
    Excellent job!! I hate when you read about "on a budget" make overs that cost big bucks.
  • Phil Boyd
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    thanks, one more thing i forgot, i bought a new sink also, homedepot - $65
    the hardest part was the research and finding the right materials that looked good together.

to be fair to the pros, labor is a huge expense on any project, and if i had charged $60-$100/hr like the pros, the total cost would have been considerable, Im also an experienced diy'er, and already had all the tools required. buying all the required tools would be another large expense.
  • PRO
    CQC Home
    10 år siden
    Looks great Phil! You could have saved a few extra bucks by simply eliminating the laminate side/back splash as well and continued a couple more rows of tile. Also they now make a "hidden" medicine cabinet for bathrooms similar to yours. Great bathroom update on a budget, thanks for sharing the pictures!
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    10 år siden
    Just goes to show, shopping your own hardware can save a bundle then just hire a pro to do the install.
  • PRO
    Stone Harbor Hardware
    10 år siden
    Looks great! Love budget-friendly projects. :)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 år siden
    Very nice. Good. I liked you said where you got stuff and names. Good Infor.
  • Phil Boyd
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    Here is the other bathroom
  • Phil Boyd
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    here is the before pics of the second bathroom
  • Phil Boyd
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    @Custom Quality Carpentry - thanks i thought of this, but it wouldnt save me any money. i had extra laminate, so that part was free, but i would have had to buy extra backsplash tiles (expensive), and i think this looks better anyway. keep in mind that split face backsplash is a no grout tile and thus isnt sealed from water penetration. i didnt want non sealed tile at the base of the countertop where it would get wet, so i think keeping the side pieces worked out well for me in the end.
  • hp4atc
    10 år siden
    What does re-laminate mean? And wood like laminate for the cabinets? Is it like painting them? Obviously I'm a newbie.
  • Phil Boyd
    Forfatter
    10 år siden
    i just sanded down the existing laminated countertop with a belt sander, applied laminate glue, and glued on new laminate. just Google it or better yet - youtube it!
  • apple_pie_order
    10 år siden
    Excellent creative update, well executed by homeowner.
  • Karen McNeilly
    7 år siden

To Phil, I'd like to ask about doors. Are you talking the entry/exit doors? Or were you talking shower/tub doors?

To CQC, can you tell me how difficult it might be in Buffalo NY area to hire an installer, when you have already done some prepping and shopping for specifics? When I lived in other state, contractors wanted either the whole job or no job.

• PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    7 år siden

Nice looks great!

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    7 år siden

Looks great!

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    7 år siden

Very nice!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.