gerst001

Need help with art, maybe drapes?

gerst001
10 år siden
sidst ændret:10 år siden
Hello everyone:

I recently created a third bedroom in my unit for my 4 year old daughter, and therefore got all new furniture, paint, stained floors, built-in, etc. 1) I'd like to hear your feedback on the living room 2) I am looking for art on three wall and need ideas. The wall behind the sofa, and the two long/narrow walls between the windows. Three pieces in total, unless I do drapes between the windows (wife is against it). Total budget about $4,000 - $6,000

What do you think?

Thanks all,
Jared

PS - 1) The current pictures behind the sofa is temporary, some images I took a while ago - we are looking for ideas on art. 2) The kitchen/dining extension table and chairs are from ikea and temporary until my kids grow up a little more.

(101) kommentarer

• gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    all walls gray
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    We like Rex Ray, but yes, mainly abstract. Thanks.
  • PRO
    Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
    9 år siden
    I was going to ask you if you'd consider painting all the walls grey but didn't want to impose. I like it but I also like it with the grey and beige. Obviously if you paint all walls grey it would include the bulkhead, right?
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    I don't think we would go all gray. that bulkhead goes into the kitchen and I don't want a gray kitchen too.
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    Here's one art option 30x60 - turns out she's a Montreal artist (but it's a coincidence - I don't know her!) - let me know what you think of this kind of abstract art...
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/184041664/black-and-white-art-painting-abstract?ref=shop_home_active_24
    gerst001 thanked Rebecca Mitchell Interiors
  • PRO
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    that second one is 30x70
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    then leave it as is - just paint window wall grey
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I like both of those. a lot. I think 70 inches might be too long though. I will show my wife.
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Rebecca- thank you so much!
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    My pleasure. Look at the Etsy site and see if there are others by the same artist you might like better. If you don't mind, I would really appreciate if you could review me on my profile? I'm trying to grow my online design services where I would help clients like yourselves who don't want to hire a full-time designer. Thanks and post the finished results. Rebecca
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    Last suggestion - this Rex Ray might also work in your space. You'd have to see what sizes are available.
  • PRO
    Lindsay Cowles LLC
    9 år siden
    I have some great art for you! Check out my page. Some originals are on sale through the end of May. Email me at lindsaycowlesfineart@gmail.com to find out more about the sale. I also have prints on stretched canvas that are very affordable. Those can be found on http://lindsaycowlesfineart.bigcartel.com
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    I think painting the window wall is a great idea (really looks good), but definitely not the big wall because your sofa will blend into the wall.

The artwork is gorgeous, but the problem I see with it is that the black part stands out too much, and the light part blends into the wall. I think a fix for this artwork is to have it framed in a dark floating frame. This will give it more presence and help pop it against the wall. Try photoshopping a dark frame around it (not black, maybe dark charcoal) to see what it might look like. Working with the black might be a little challenging given you hardly have anything to balance it.

Would love to see more photos. Painting the window wall is a definite go.
    gerst001 thanked Shoa Gallery
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    By the way, can you see my earlier posts now? (from April 24 & 25) Houzz told me they fixed it but I have no way of knowing. Sorry I'm using your discussion as a troubleshooting case :)
  • mefor
    9 år siden
    No, KShoa :)
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Nope. Thank you for the comments though. They show up :)
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    Argh!

OK thanks. I'll let them know. :)
  • bubbasgma
    9 år siden
    kshoa...The ones I can see I have "liked", I still do not see the posts with the art you superimposed in the room.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    OK thank you. I just contacted Houzz again. We'll see what they can do.
  • sondramartina
    9 år siden
    I would not paint everything gray,just window wall it looks great
    gerst001 thanked sondramartina
  • lessismoore
    9 år siden
    KShoa, you have some nice things :-) Hope you can post them soon!
    gerst001 thanked lessismoore
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    So, we decided to return the picture. We do love it, my wife REALLY loves it, but the yellows are too close to the wall color and I can't fix that. The black on the art actually works...there is black in the sofa and also a black dining table in the room, with chairs with black legs, that you can't see in the image. The yellow just doesn't work though. We tried to find another wall, but no such luck. So, the hunt continues.

The tv wall is the dark gray, accent wall, now. I didn't think having two accent walls, the same color would work, but I like it and it seems everyone here loves it. I guess it wouldn't be an accent wall anymore though.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    Thanks lessismore! I think I can post photos from my own gallery, but not when superimposed on the poster's photos. Very strange indeed. I'll post a couple that I superimposed for gerst001 (from my own stock) so you guys can see.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    I superimposed these but didn't come through.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    So sorry gerst, I'm totally OCDing on your post trying to figure this out. Leaving now. Have a great evening everyone! :)
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    No problem at all!
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    Can you see the photos above my very last comment? I swear last time I'm asking! lol
  • sondramartina
    9 år siden
    I see 4 pictures KShoa
  • lessismoore
    9 år siden
    At last, we see them :-) I love the reclining figure.
  • PRO
    Design Elements
    9 år siden
    You have such a beautiful space! I would def. add art. Maybe even do a gallery wall where the on the wall that the sofa is on?
    gerst001 thanked Design Elements
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'm not superimposing any more - just posting.

gerst thanks for letting me troubleshoot on your post :)
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    Lessismore, thanks for the comment on "awake", my reclining woman :)
  • lessismoore
    9 år siden
    Here is a piece by a newer artist on Houzz too, maybe check out her availables? No pricing tho. This is a 3 x 4 ft.
    [houzz=
    Available Portfolio- Untitled 83 · Mere information
    ]
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Happy Mother's Day!

I painted the wall yesterday. Interestingly, while darker, it brings out the colors of the sofa, recliner and anything else with color in the room (little hard to see that in the iphone pano attached though). Also, the gray window wall makes it a bit more elegant.

What do you think of the window wall being dark gray now (compared to beige in early photos)?

I'm now just thinking of painting the wall and bulkhead, behind the sofa. Idea on colors?

The color of gray in Benjamin Moore 2121-10 "Gray" but I do not want to use that for this large wall as the bulkhead leads into the kitchen.

Attached or two panos of the room.

All ideas are welcome. As for for the table, it is temporary until the the younger one gets a little older. But open to ideas for that too.

Also, what you can't see in the image in a white built in bookcase by the plant.

Thanks everyone for your help.
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    Fantastic.
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you Rebecca. Any ideas for that other wall? My wife is leaning towards keeping the art now. She really loves it. Also, any thought on a table and chairs down the line. I was thinking built in L shaped seating.

I value your opinion!
  • leemiller
    9 år siden
    The grey wall was a great suggestions - looks really, really good!

The art looks a bit small over the sofa to me as well. It just looks like it should be wider.
    gerst001 thanked leemiller
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    Are you sure you cannot find another place for this artwork? Did you show her the options I sent you the other day? If she really insists on keeping it then you need to frame it somewhere. Is it canvas? Canvas art - unless really big - never looks finished enough to me. Perhaps switch back the tan leather chair with the the two in front of the window? The leather chair might look better against the grey walls and connect more with the artwork. Just a thought. Re coffee table options, something white to connect with the tv unit and DR chairs might work. Stay in a round or oval shape though. RM
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    Re the other wall I'd choose a colour from the artwork over the painting that better showcases the painting. Will look and see if I can suggest something.
  • PRO
    Lindsay Cowles LLC
    9 år siden
    Email me if you would like pricing on the original. lindsaycowlesfineart@gmail.com. I can also produce prints of this painting. It would look amazing in your room. Prints can be produced in any size you want.
    gerst001 thanked Lindsay Cowles LLC
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    Would a white/ivory wall work with the rest of the room - because I think it could provide a hip industrial look that emphasizes the bulkhead along the main wall and connects with the tv unit and white DR chairs. Dark grey and white is a great palette in a contemporary space. If you want a colour and plan to keep the area rug (which is fine) then it needs to work with the rug and the artwork.
  • gerst001
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    So, I just did a test. I took a picture of NYC (black and white) that hangs in the common condo hallway, that is 55 by 39 and it looks much better. Of course we want an original piece and not a print. Search continues...
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    What about something like this original painting I had commissioned for a project? There are several artists on Etsy who did this kind of work. The second painting (posted above) that I sent you from the Montreal artist would also look good.
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    This is from Lindsay Cowles Fine Art who has suggested other options. I think something like this could be very sharp in your space.
  • PRO
    9 år siden
    Last suggestion for the day (it is Mother's Day after all!) - here's another suggestion for the main wall which is still neutral but more contemporary. Benjamin Moore November Rain
    2142-60
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 år siden
    If you want to paint the wall behind the sofa, you have the challenge of the sofa being dark and the artwork being light, so either direction you go, one of them will get lost in the background. I would keep the color you have now and see if using a floating frame for the artwork will work. Try using a fake frame behind it (by holding it up) to see if it pops up properly.

Love the painted window walls. Looks great!
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 år siden
    Look for a local artist, preferably young (in art) and unknown. The pieces will be less expensive than a well known artist and that will give you the option to purchase larger pieces. An added bonus could be that this artist may become famous later and than your pieces will go up in value.
    Having said that, if you are more into photography art, you can print your photographs on a large format via services like Shuttefly, Mpix and other local printing shops. It would be well within your art budget.
  • Rachael Crowther
    9 år siden
    www.rachaelcrowther.co.uk I make paintings to order!
  • PRO
    Ellen Rolli Contemporary Painter
    8 år siden

Hello Jared, I just posted for the first time in Pro to Pro as I am relatively new to Houzz. I am a Boston based abstract painter. Feel free to visit my Houzz profile page at Ellen Rolli Contemporary painter to see samples of my work. My website is: www.ellenrolli.com Let me know if anything interests you!

"Dreams of Ireland", Mixed Media Painting, Diptych, 30x60 · Mere information

Here is an example of a diptych, each piece a 30x30.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.