tech8486

Why are curtains so hard?

tech8486
10 år siden
Not sure why curtains are so difficult for me. Open to guidance and suggestions on what kind/color curtains to pair with my living room and breakfast nook. Also open to suggestions on accessories to make the room feel a bit less dark and a bit more finished.

(90) kommentarer

• Rita Patrick
    9 år siden
    I like it better without curtains and with the original rug personally.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    A few more photos. I hung artwork last night which I think helps the space a bit.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år siden
    Yes the artwork does help. I like what you have done so far. I do think the artwork needs to be raised up a bit. The current fixture looks just a wee bit lost in the space.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Curtains won't work on those windows. Too close to firepl. Instead go roman shades. In a print like a stripe, in light colors. Or a Greek key, even chevron. Would add interest . Then add a 24" sunburst mirror over mantel 6" from top of mantel. Add 2 clear glass containers to mantel place together on one end only fill with sand and sea shells, Michael's sells. Use clear glass for lamp base, to lighten up rooms. Add aqua pillows in prints and solid to furn. Carry though window look in all rooms.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Get a smaller area rug 6x9 show off floors. That rug extends to much pass sofa. Go a bold color like teal. Ck Z Galleries for accessories, TJMax. All carry great looks. A sofa table in reclaimed wood go behind sofa fill with a few decor items, in different heights. Use reflective surfaces,
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    I would also paint firepl a white and add a shiny mosaic around it. That will change the look of room. The media is dated. Go a long low media in a lighter wood. Place TV. Then on each side add tall 6 ft floor mirrors. Dark wide frames. Ikea's sells. Pendants In Kitchen could be replace with a color. Mix up woods for a interesting look.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Replace end chairs at table go a woven reclaimed look with aqua pillows. Restoration Hardware . Keep wood ones for sides. Remove small tables by fireplace on one side add 2 small square ottomans in zebra. Have fun. Add zebra pillows to the chair add a aqua throw to,it. Next time you buy furn think outside the box. Think color. You will never go wrong. More fun than playing it safe.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Dining room light. Too boring and hung too high. Hang 36" from top of table. Go bigger, Restoration Hardware has nice things Z Galleries also. Or go on line for ideals post and take a vote.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    If your entrainment center can come apart do it. Just use middle section.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Just saw pic you posted of art. It's too small think 40x40. Light dated and hung too high 36" from top of table. Go bigger and more dramatic
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 år siden
    Try wallpaper on bottom of chair rail in dining. You need art on both walls. Why did you buy more beige/brown shade for your rug. Try rug from living rm in dining instead get smaller rug in a color or print for living rm. wallpaper try the teals.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Wow...thank you for the detailed feedback. All very insightful and helpful comments! The challenge is that I've pretty much reached my budget for the room, so big ticket items like an entertainment center or large furniture are a bit beyond the scope of what I'm going to be able to do right now in the space. I certainly agree about the lighting in the dining rooms - these were standard builder lights that were installed when we moved in. Have plans to change them, just need to find the right fit. A lot of the things you see are things that I picked out and paid for - like having the mantle stained as opposed to painted or the entertainment center to fill up the giant wall (or the too small sectional - that was an expensive mistake). Would be open to suggestions for how to make the space more cozy/comfortable without having to make any more really expensive additions/changes.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I did add a few things to the mantle
  • kranno
    9 år siden
    I have seen the Hunter Douglas blinds that have sheer fabric covering them. Can't remember what they are called but they look really nice and let the light in.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Other rug options...let me know what you guys think. Moving things around :-)
  • PRO
    Selectblinds
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    I’d recommend backtab drapes. Put a panel on either side of the window and it will give the room a finished look and they will help you keep that natural light coming through. Love how much light you have through those windows!

If you want to keep the color scheme neutral, I think these drapes in “Textured Bone” would be amazing:
    Select Preferred Custom Drapes/Curtains · Mere information

But I think a little color in the room could be fun, like the “Solid Nugget” would go nicely with any one of the rugs you have in the picture above. Adding drapes on those two windows would also accentuate your mantel!
  • kranno
    9 år siden
    Love the two rugs by the chair. The red one in the foreground is too dark.
  • kranno
    9 år siden
    Also, what about just cornices above your windows or roman shades?
    You need a larger piece above your fireplace.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you all for the tips! could I do roman shades over the blinds? I ask because I just had the blinds installed :-/. Would you just do regular curtains on the dining room windows then? Or Roman shades there too? Or just leave them bare?

Also, does anyone know of a good place to get more contemporary, large scale artwork? I love the idea of two 40"x40" pictures in the dining room but not sure where to find them at a reasonable price. Perhaps I could also get a larger piece for above the fireplace.

Would like to find a more consistent color combination. Right now, the couch is more cool toned (patterned fabric of a dark slate grey + cream with the dark grey piping). I'm afraid it doesn't work well with the rug I have in there now (I could find a new home for the rug). I'm also a bit worried that neither the couch nor the rug match the deep olive green of the dining room suit. So maybe a new rug and more consistently colored artwork could help me pull it back together. The things that I really can't change are the couch, the entertainment center, and the dining room suit - everything else is adjustable.

Finally, any tips on places to find reasonably priced light fixtures for the dining room and breakfast area?

Again, thank you all for your help!
  • kranno
    9 år siden
    Would be rather expensive and a waste of fabric to do roman shades now after you just installed blinds. I would of with cornices.
    For artwork there is Artfinder on the web.
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år siden
    I think blinds and or shutters are a classic/clean look. With regards to the cornice units, you could use stationary panels to soften the blinds and add some color/texture to the walls.
    cornice-window-treatment2.jpg · Mere information

Cornice Window Treatments · Mere information

Regarding the fixtures, if you need a hand, you can contact us and see what we can work out to fit within your budget.
  • PRO
    Selectblinds
    9 år siden
    Adding roman shades over your blinds is unnecessary and would not compliment your nice new blinds like drapes would. As far as your dining room goes, adding drapes to those windows as well would look nice. The stationary drapes Whispar Design showcases above are beautiful.

Have you checked out Lamps Plus ( http://www.lampsplus.com) for light fixtures? They have a variety of all different kinds of lighting fixtures and it appears they have a sale going on until June 22nd.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 år siden
    Consider going to showrooms near you so that you can see the types of curtains each manufacturer creates. Draperies can be made from a multitude of fabrics and having them made for you would be a better option than simply buying pre-made ones from a store. This will also help you get an item of what style you like so that you can pick something that you'll love for years.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Quick update...I've ordered another armless sectional piece for the sofa to make it about 24 inches longer. I think this will help with the overall scale and look of the room. Should be here in a few weeks - will post a picture when it's here.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Or maybe this one: Dimensions: 31.5" H x 33" Diameter
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Ok...making progress. Moving things around (rugs/mirrors/etc.) Let me know what you think!
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år siden
    I do like the living room rug - very nice. With regards to the fixtures - I think the second options is more in line with your current decor - the first is too "curvy" IMO Also the artwork seems a bit too low? It might be the perspective of the camera. The center of the artwork should start at 58" (average person's eye-level) and adjust to taste from there.
  • groveraxle
    9 år siden
    I beg to differ about the height of the artwork. The art in the dining room is PERFECT, eye level...when you're sitting down. 58" applies on walls with no furniture, and where people are standing, like in art galleries.
  • Corinne Bussey
    9 år siden
    Hi tech your fireplace and windows remind me of mine, this is what I did just to give you a idea
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Wow...that's beautiful. Thank you! Where is a good go-to for large scale artwork that wouldn't be super expensive? Others have mentioned Z Gallery but I haven't ever been in one of their stores.
  • Corinne Bussey
    9 år siden
    Well that art came from bouclair I'm from Canada it wasn't expensive I think it was around $175.00
  • groveraxle
    9 år siden
    Find what you want at art.com, then bide your time. There'll be a sale sooner or later and the only question will be: do you take the 25% now or hold out for 35 or 40% later?
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions! You've given me confidence to begin looking at other areas of the house. Just started a post on my entry way. Feedback welcome!
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    What do you guys think of these pictures for the dining room? They are 36" x 36"
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Another lighting option for the dining rooms. 32" H x 29" Diameter. Would this look ok? Or is there a better option?
  • PRO
    Whispar Design
    9 år siden
    The braxton is a nice fixture (also available in black)
    Braxton Chandelier · Mere information
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Thank you! Here's a question...can I mix finishes on lighting in the same room? This space is open to the living room/breakfast nook/kitchen. The living room has a brushed nickel fan. The kitchen has the brushed nickel pendents with more of an industrial feel. How do I pick out something that compliments the pendants in the kitchen with the more traditional look of the dining room? I was thinking oil rubbed bronze or black for contrast - but wasn't sure if I was 'allowed' to mix the finishes.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    I guess, finally...should I hire an interior decorator? I've been trying to put this room together with the help of the kind folks here on Houzz...but maybe it's time to bring in someone to help pull it all together. I've talked to a few people but it's hard to tell if we are aligned on the final result I'm looking for - a comfortable yet polished family area with sturdy, timeless pieces. Right now it feels a little mis-matched.
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Also kicking around the idea of painting the walls (something neutral and warm but not too dark, as the room is already a bit dark) and possibly adding picture frame moulding. Open to suggestions!
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Good news! The couch piece came in today. I think it helps balance the room out. I'm still having an issue with the fact that the cool colors (creamy beige and a dead grey) of the couch sort of clash with the warmer olive tones in the dining room area. Not sure that re-upholstering the dining room chairs is in the budget. Any ideas?
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Updates...the living room is looking better. Removed the hutch on the TV console. Let me know what you think!
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    and a new piece over the mantel
  • Carolina
    9 år siden
    Removing that hutch is a huge improvement :-)
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    thank you! also updated the light fixture in the breakfast nook
  • Carolina
    9 år siden
    I like what you're doing. The only thing I'm missing when I look at your room is art. Especially the breakfast nook could do with something on the walls. Please don't go for iron art, but find some nice pictures that speak to you, that make you smile :-)
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    So a few months have passed and I've made some pretty good progress, I think. Just wanted to share :-). Still need to figure out a dining room table/chairs and the dining room rug and art - but we're getting closer!
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    Better pictures
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden
    And a few more
  • tech8486
    Forfatter
    9 år siden

New dining room table and chairs. Need to figure out what to put on the other wall and the find the right light fixture to replace the builder grade fixture. Open to suggestions!!

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.