jeremy_strom

Build

Jeremy Strom
10 år siden
Are those metal posts? Is the base of your frame hollow or does the dirt go clear to the ground?
JD Garden, Hillsborough · Mere information

(6) kommentarer

• PRO
    Steve Masley Consulting and Design
    10 år siden
    Those are steel U-braces that wrap around the beds on 3 sides. The soil goes to the bottom of the boxes, so it's about 30" deep.
  • PRO
    RollingPlanter
    10 år siden
    I know gardeners like to do things fast and inexpensively, but spending an extra dollar or two is better; especially when you can make your lattice vegetable trellis last for many years not just a couple or a seasons. Placing cheap pipe, "U" clamps and other hardware tricks is not the answer. I design and make a trellis system that cost a bit more to make but last forever for it never touches the ground. The only thing that touches it our the arbors and stems of the plants. Mine is built strong and not something that is stapled, taped together or clamped together. The idea is to build it right the first time and not throw it away year after year. We need sustainable solutions. For more information contact me at: rollingplanter@gmail.com
  • PRO
    Steve Masley Consulting and Design
    9 år siden
    Rollingplanter, I admire what you do, you make a beautiful, durable product. I design and install organic raised bed gardens, but I don't build the beds. My clients hire their contractors to build the beds. I liken gardening to music. I don't build the instrument (although I do help with the design)--I tune it, play it, and teach clients how to play it.

Some clients would rather have larger beds and more garden space than spend $400-500 on a cucumber trellis. Not everyone can afford a Mercedes. I've had some of these stapled trellises in place for 4 or 5 years. They're screwed to 2 x 2 redwood posts, which are the only thing in contact with the soil. When the staples come loose, I put in a screw. Trellis fixed and we get another year out of it.
  • PRO
    RollingPlanter
    9 år siden
    Steve, well put. I see you're not concern with structure integrity or ecology. Touching soil with redwood, whether it is 2 x 2 or 1/2 x 1/2 or whatever should not be happening, permitted at all. Redwood is not a sustainable tree growth.

We are not emphasizing anyone build trellis for $400 to $500. Instead we state that one puts a bit extra time in the design, and hardware. Why should one pay the gardener for something that last a few weeks or months. Yes, our boxes are durable, we don't build them like Chevy Novas but rather like Toyota pickup trucks.

Whether you build your boxes or not, we need to treat building materials as if you can not throw them away once a year. As residence of the Earth we must address things to be more sustainable. We need to utilize and protect our natural resources, for they don't renew over night.

Getting back to the trellis. If you put $10 and an extra hour of work into it, it perhaps would last 10 to 15 years. Then again, many of you gardeners charge Rolls Royce prices and really don't care about the ecology other than your fat pay check.
  • Peartree
    9 år siden
    I think your raised beds are beautiful and they look very functional. It's hard to tell from the pic but are the black braces/frames metal? If so were they custom made for this project or prefab?
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.