maria_murray

Is there any hope to make this house pretty?

Maria Murray
9 år siden
We are about to get estimates for new siding/trim/shutters. I don't know if it's possible to make a 1960's split level have curb appeal, but I respect the Houzz community with my house...so please offer any "If I were you..." pieces of advice you may have. A second plea is what to do with the front door overhang that just pops out with an odd triangle. Thank you! (PS: the satellite dish IS coming down this weekend)!

(19) kommentarer

• PRO
    Blackman Plumbing Supply
    9 år siden
    If I were you, I would add some landscaping in the front that catches the eye! you'll want to have a wide array of colors and sizes to add dimension and weight. Black mulch also adds a neat touch that shows you took the extra step to ensure a beautiful home. As far as siding, you may want to consider using shingles on the front of your house instead of the vertical treks. We hope this helps!
  • PRO
    Adrian J. Naquin Interior Design L.L.C.
    9 år siden
    If refinishing consider the use of Hardi Board much better than most ( wood /vinyl siding)
    The odd gable roof needs work consider a hip roof and beef up the size of the post ( too small scale) to make an entry statement. - Don't be coy put some color on that house and get away from the white a house this size can even use a darker color than most to advantage with white trim tinted to relate to the house field color.
  • Denita
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    I think your home has great possibilities :)
    Does the driveway from the front actually connect to the garage or is it used for parking only?
    Is there a garage in back - it looks like it but I can't really tell from the photos.
    Two things jump out right away: 1) the shutters aren't sized right and 2) the landscaping could be changed to enhance your home.

Take a quick moment to read this brief article with photos to show you why your current shutters don't work with your windows: http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

I agree with the above about going with more bold colors but I would get with an architect if it were my home to see what elevation changes could be made to get it to a style you like first. It would be worth the small expense of the architect before you get any estimates for siding etc. This is your chance to get a few small changes done that would make a large impact on your exterior so you love your home.
  • PRO
    All Island Group
    9 år siden
    I would recommend adding some colorful plants and flowers to the flower beds along the front of the house and tile the driveway the same as the walkway to the door instead of the black pavement. It wouldn't hurt to restore your roof as well.
  • jmkaes
    9 år siden
    Definitely landscaping, but how about adding a porch along the front of the house?
  • cmolluzzo
    9 år siden
    This is a revamp of a 1960s split-level that makes the facade very fresh and modern: http://www.wentworthstudio.com/portfolio/home-addition-ideas-and-pictures/51 Click through the pictures to see a before and after.
  • PRO
    BHG Real Estate Gary Greene, Spring TX
    9 år siden
    Great questions! Some great ideas have already been posted. From a Realtor, resale perspective, I would recommend adding pops of color to the landscaping in bright reds and hot pinks. Add some more bushes below the front windows and keep well groomed. The pillars holding up the front porch would look better if the scale were enlarged. I would support extending the front porch as demonstrated by Dar Eckert, if affordable. Otherwise, I would have a contractor building square boxed cases around the existing pillars to give them a more contemporary update. It would also look great to add window boxes beneath the windows and fill with bright colored flowers, such as geraniums. Curb appeal not only enhances your home value, it invites a warm and friendly message to your friends and neighbors!
  • Sheri
    9 år siden
    I think that's a nice looking home but my first thought was that it would look pretty with some color in the flowerbeds!
  • kathleen MK
    9 år siden
    I think the white and black is a crisp classic color scheme that makes a good backdrop for bright flowers. Paint the front door a bright color and use that color in the plantings. Red door with red gerainiums in black "cast iron" urns.
    Get low growing evergreen and flowering shrubs and sturdy perennials.use some bright easy to grow annuals like cosmos and zinnias,
  • PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    9 år siden
    For the setting I think the house looks really nice. You could add some veneer stone to the lower section with some hardiplank in the top half. You could also redo the driveway and walkway with a conjugation of pavers, plants and lights. All of those would really change your home in a big way.
  • MarleneM
    9 år siden
    Here is a before/after photo. I think you should add some other surfaces besides horizontal siding. Break it up with stone and shingles.
    M.J. Whelan Construction · Mere information
  • PRO
    Timberlane Shutters
    9 år siden
    To enhance the curb appeal on the front of your home, we would definitely replace your existing shutters with shutters that are properly fitted for your windows. The current shutters that are installed are a bit too small for the windows they are covering, as each shutter should measure out to half the size of the window. You will be able to see that this make a huge difference!

As far as the double and triple windows on the back of the house go, each shutter should be a full size panel. It appears you do not have room on one of the windows, so we would recommend completely removing all shutters off the back of the house (including the pair on the door) and adding window boxes.
  • czarinamisha
    9 år siden
    You have a three part facade: center 2 story entrance and two wings; yet all three have the same surface/color treatment. This combination does not provide a focal point! So whatever solution you choose it needs to address this. Changing up material (stone, brick, shingles) for the center portion would do this. Adding a shed porch or enlarging the front portico would also help. I do agree with another poster, in that your columns are too small. Good luck!
  • Linda Duke
    9 år siden
    Love your ideas Dar Eckert. Would look great.
  • User
    9 år siden
    Didn't read all the posts, but it looks like a driveway leads to the house, not a garage. I think that's throwing the whole thing off and needs to be addressed before going forward with other projects.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 år siden
    Dar Eckert nailed it. Your house needs a porch, and not just for curb appeal but for your relaxation time (remember those CountryTime lemonade commercials) :)
  • RitaJo Schilling
    9 år siden
    Great house love the white and black. How about the roof over the entry way using black roof, lines with Wrought iron to make the columns as the focal point. Paint the front door a bright red and add bright flowers around close to the house?
  • suezbell
    8 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}8 år siden

Update? You already have (had) a very nice house before doing anything. Like the plain, easy to care for landscaping as is.

Have you considered adding a front porch to your stoop utilizing the current stoop roof and have it wrap around to cover both doors. Then make the front door you want people to enter more of a focal point than the other door, perhaps painting the other door white like the siding ...

http://st.hzcdn.com/simgs/38e19d450f58d655_4-8460/traditional-porch.jpg

... or add a screened porch in front of the door that is not intended to be the front door / main entrance. You could add the screened porch to the right of the door on the right or you could add the screened porch to the left of the door on the left.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/94/6b/92/946b92c088bc96f937a3f223a194b085.jpg

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.