slocar

Curb appeal how to?

slocar
9 år siden
We are looking for a relatively easy way (new home owners limited DIY experience) to give our house some curb appeal. Any suggestions? Need to do something with the stairs I think...they just look unfinished!

(4) kommentarer

• Kelly D
    9 år siden
    I'm terrible at design (which is why I'm on this site so much Lol :-) )If you were able to,. I would consider extending the front porch to the length of the house under the two windows. You have a very cute home - congratulations!
  • Denita
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    Congrats on your first home! Yes, the stairs look unfinished. Also they are very narrow. if possible extend the width of the stairs and the depth of the top landing so it is like a porch. It would be terrific if you could extend the length of the house like Kelly D suggested, but if it isn't in the budget, then extend it so your top landing is a min of 6'x6'. Let me see if I can find a photo for you. The steps should be wide as well If you only end up with a six by six porch then have the steps 6 ft wide. If you are able to have a larger porch then your steps can be slightly smaller but I wouldn't go less than 4 ft wide at a minimum like pic #3 below. Put in risers and paint them white, with a dark tread like the first photo below
    Greek Revival Remodel - Screened Porch · Mere information

This is the idea of the steps (ignore these type railings in pic#2) if you aren't able to do the porch along the front
    Finished Houses-Exteriors · Mere information

Rustic Canyon New Home · Mere information

Here they are in a more modern format (risers same color as treads) if that is what you prefer
    Arlington Modern House Addition · Mere information
  • PRO
    Direct Rubber Mulch
    9 år siden
    Congrats on your new home! It's a great modern craftsman style.

If you want add design aesthetic towards the base of your house, try using painted white or white plastic trellis or boards to create a depth and visual interest to the front of your house. See attached image for inspiration.

We agree with the others to see if you can widen the landing to your stairs and possibly fill in exposed stairs. It could be a great storage space if you were to enclose them!

We would also recommend edging the pathway with a low-maintenance ground cover plant (that won't overgrow) or even solar lighting to help lead the way towards the front door stairs. (See second attached image for inspiration -- we love the different tones of color of the plants in contrast with the mulch).

If bushes or trees are a must, try to keep them towards the outskirts of your property, so you can soak up all the wonderful natural lighting your windows will allow!
  • grobby
    9 år siden
    Sidst ændret: {last_modified_time}9 år siden
    I think I would paint the band across lower section of house the same color as body of house, somehow, your house appears yo be floating. Also would the vertical trim around large window. This will help house to look larger. Also,think about changing front door style, one as shown in first house pic posted by Denita.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Danmark
Tilpas mine indstillinger ved hjælp af cookies

Houzz bruger cookies og lignende teknologier til at tilpasse min oplevelse, give mig relevant indhold og forbedre Houzz-produkter og -tjenester. Ved at klikke på 'Accepter' accepterer jeg dette, som beskrevet yderligere i Houzz-cookiepolitikken. Jeg kan afvise ikke-essentielle cookies ved at klikke på 'Administrer præferencer'.